Author Topic: Breeding an un-paper'd Bernese  (Read 7646 times)

Offline lobf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Breeding an un-paper'd Bernese
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:01:05 am »
Hey folks. A friend of ours with a couple of Berners had some unexpected puppies a while back, and offered us one without papers. He's a purebred dog, and I would love to breed him someday, but would anyone out there accept a dog without papers?

This is an important factor in whether we neuter him, so thanks for your time!

angelsmama

Re: Breeding an un-paper'd Bernese
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:06:34 am »
i personally dont think you should.. just brings more dogs in the world that may end up in a shelter then their freezer in a bag..

Offline Cai Li

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 01:19:34 am »
I agree with Angelsmamma. You shouldn't breed pupps when there are so many out there without homes as it is. BUT if you are going to you can have your dog DNA tested and get it papered at least that way they would be papered dogs and have a little bit of a better chance anyway. The testing is not cheap from what I hear. The breeder for Cai Li had the stud DNA tested before breeding so that the pupps would have their papers. Also you are going to want to get your dog health certified before considering breeding so that you are not breeding potentially unhealthy pupps. Good luck with your decision.

Julia
A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.

Offline lobf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:07:03 am »
Thanks for the input. We certainly won't be breeding him.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:33:19 am »
i personally dont think you should.. just brings more dogs in the world that may end up in a shelter then their freezer in a bag..
i agree
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:57:55 am »
Hi Lobf, welcome to BPO!  I really applaud you for doing the research on Berners before deciding to breed.  Most people don't give the responsibility enough consideration, and I think that it's wonderful that you have!  I've loved and been loved by Pyrs for almost 18 years and though I'd dearly love to snuggle and love a litter of Pyr puppies, I decided many years ago that I'd leave it up to the people that devote their lives to the betterment of the breed.  There's just too much to know and consider before breeding for me to feel like I could handle the responsibility not just for "my" litter, but for any offspring that they might have later.  So for me, I just love my furry babies that someone else brought into the world.    ;)  ;D 

I'm mom to 3 human kids, our cats, and our 3 dogs Cassie, Sammy & Daisy that are keeping me company by my feet tonight.  Plus always loving and remembering my angel dogs, Cara, Sally & Halley that we were so blessed to have in our family.  I hope that you stay around and share pics of your Berner boy, they are such beautiful dogs!  I'm glad that you found us.   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees