Author Topic: My ugly dog...  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
My ugly dog...
« on: August 16, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
Ok.  At work I am always talking about Sierra to my friend and cubemate, Aubrie.  I brought Sierra to work when she was about 12 weeks old to show her off.  I had the afternoon off yesterday and I brought her to work again so everybody can see how much she's grown.  Well, Aubrie had the nerve to say that she doesn't think Sierra was cute anymore and asked why I cut her hair short.  I never cut her hair and turns out Aubrie liked her when she had her puppy fuzz and looked like a big black cottonball.  She doesn't like that her hair is laying flat now instead of sticking out like it used to.  And she was absolutely disgusted by the drooling.  You should have seen the look on her face.

I'm not really mad at her...Aubrie is very blunt about what she thinks and that's actually one of the reasons I like her so much.  I know that she isn't required to think my dog is pretty just because she's my friend and she did say that Sierra will be pretty when she realized her full coat hasn't grown in yet.  I guess I'm just being too sensitive, but I wanted to vent.

I guess I just have to remember that just because I think I have the prettiest dog that ever walked the earth, doesn't mean everyone else will think so too.   ;D ;D

~Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: My ugly dog...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:46:14 pm »
HA HA HA!!!!  You make me laugh.  I have the same reaction you have when my pets or friends or family is sized up but someone else too.  And for the record Sierra is the prettiest dog that ever walked the face of the earth.  Just like my drooley princess, Miss Gracie Belle...   Oh and Rosco.  But we can't call him pretty.  That may upset him cause he's a dude.  He's the most handsome dude ever that is..  ;)  :D  ;D 

Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:29:12 pm »
Funny how people think that they are not only entitled to HAVE an opinion (which they are) but that they can freely SHARE it as well (which they should think twice about doing). You could let it be. Or, you could take her to lunch and say, "Hey Aubrie, you probably didn't mean it unkindly, but what you said about my dog was hurtful to me." If she's a friend, she profusely apologize and there won't be any buried resentments between you guys. If she doesn't apologize and says "Oh, you're being too sensitive -that drool is so NASTY!" , then here's what you do. This weekend, you make a nice batch of cookie dough or brownie batter (with a nice big dollop of Sierra drool - a quarter cup or so, in place of where there's water in the recipe). Bake up the goodies, and wrap them all pretty. Take them to Aubrie on Monday and say, "You're right. I was being too sensitive. Here you go - some homemade goodies, just for you, from me and Sierra!"  ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:35:30 pm »
You guys are funny, my mom always used to call my Lucy girl ugly, of course i thought she was the most preciuos thing ever ( and i still do) but for years i heard about my "ugly fat dog"(she"s not fat she's healthy!). Now of course that she's an adult and completely filled out she has a diffrent opinion. And the drool cookies sound like a great idea!
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:59:35 pm »
What a meanie! If it makes you feel any better though, she may just be pointing out the change from puppy-puppy to puppy-teen. When Bear was going through is "change" we called him ugly all of the time and so did our breeder.  :) Just wait until her transformation is complete and then your friend will be oogling and aahing over how beautiful she is.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:59:37 pm »
Aww, you poor thing- poor Sierra too. Maybe she did mean she's going through that awkward phase and she used the wrong words. I know I've looked at my pups often and thought, where did my CUTE fuzzy puppies go? But that's okay cause no one else is saying it lol. They all go through those not so adorable stages..just like kids do. I'm sure she will turn out just gorgeous and then they'll feel dumb. Mine are still very cute to me but not like they used to be. I know once they aren't 'in between' anymore, they'll be just beautiful though.

Oh and for other people that haven't seen the dog since it was a little fluffy puppy, it's total shock.. I get that all the time. They don't expect them to grow and change THAT fast so I'm sure it's weird to them and they haven't seen them change on a daily basis.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:10:01 pm »
What a meanie! If it makes you feel any better though, she may just be pointing out the change from puppy-puppy to puppy-teen. When Bear was going through is "change" we called him ugly all of the time and so did our breeder.  :) Just wait until her transformation is complete and then your friend will be oogling and aahing over how beautiful she is.

Well if Sierra ends up looking anything like Bear...then she's going to be one lucky Newfie.  Everytime I see that picture in your avatar, I can't help but think he looks like he's draped in velvet.

Maybe it is that in between stage, and I know I'm biased, but I keep looking at her and waiting for that awkward stage.  She hasn't looked like an awkward, half grown, adolescent pup to me yet.  She just looks absolutely beautiful.  And I guess what I think of her is all that should really matter right?

Thanks everyone for the sweet things you all said about my baby.  I love the idea of the cookies, but I might actually save those for Jeff's ex-wife.  She also said Sierra was ugly and there's no love lost between the two of us.  I could make the cookies as a "peace offering".  I have an evil little smile on my face just thinking about it....  I know it would never work though...Jeff gave her some deer bologna one year because we had so much.  She was so convinced he did something to it, she became hysterical, started screaming that her fiance had to open it in the garage and then she threw it away.  She'd NEVER trust food from me!

~ Stephanie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:08:02 pm by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 08:17:09 pm »
Sierra is a total cutie!  I wouldn't worry to much about what your friend said about Sierra.  Just remember that Sierra will grow out of her awkward look and become even more beautiful.  While your friend will decide to get a hair cut or an outfit that is way too ugly for her and she'll think she's looking sharp.  Then you can laugh quietly to yourself or heck even out loud.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:17:28 pm »
I have a really blunt friend, too, and I love it about her until she says something about me. LOL.

I think that's what got to me - the fact that she said it about me and my dog!  Anybody else, I wouldn't care!  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »
Your puppers is super-beautiful!!  Your freind is blind.  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:26:12 pm »
Wow, I'm with Julie and Stella!   :-\  Whatever happened to "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"???  Sounds like someone missed out on some key social training somewhere, b/c there is a difference (a big, big difference) between blunt & rude.  Oh well, phooey with her.  I know some people that I'd just never discuss certain topics with b/c it's just not there "thing", so maybe Aubrie is a friend with whom to discuss everything except pretty Sierra.  We all KNOW that Sierra is gorgeous and we probably know a bit more about dogs than Aubrie does, so I'd just chalk it up to lack of knowledge or something on her part.  Anyway, give the pretty girl kisses from all of us, we all know puppy beauty when we see it!    ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 08:33:33 pm »

Well if Sierra ends up looking anything like Bear...then she'll going to be one lucky Newfie.  Everytime I see that picture in your avatar, I can't help but think he looks like he's draped in velvet.

Maybe it is that in between stage, and I know I'm biased, but I keep looking at her and waiting for that awkward stage.  She hasn't looked like an awkward, half grown, adolescent pup to me yet.  She just looks absolutely beautiful.  And I guess what I think of her is all that should really matter right?

Thanks everyone for the sweet things you all said about my baby.  I love the idea of the cookies, but I might actually save those for Jeff's ex-wife.  She also said Sierra was ugly and there's no love lost between the two of us.  I could make the cookies as a "peace offering".  I have an evil little smile on my face just thinking about it....  I know it would never work though...Jeff gave her some deer bologna one year because we had so much.  She was so convinced he did something to it, she became hysterical, started screaming that her finace had to open it in the garage and then she threw it away.  She'd NEVER trust food from me!

~ Stephanie

Yeah, I am waiting for mine to get lanky and adolescent looking too, I still haven't seen it..but maybe other people do or just they just don't know a good lookin' dog when they see it. ;) How old is she now?

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 08:41:01 pm »
She'll be 7 mos old Friday next week.

I remember my huskies going through a stage where they were getting tall but not yet starting to fill out.  They were just tall, skinny and all legs.  They were still clumsy and not cute at all.  I just don't see that with Sierra.  She just always looks pretty to me...though she is still a klutz...

~ Stephanie 

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:01:49 pm »
She'll be 7 mos old Friday next week.

I remember my huskies going through a stage where they were getting tall but not yet starting to fill out.  They were just tall, skinny and all legs.  They were still clumsy and not cute at all.  I just don't see that with Sierra.  She just always looks pretty to me...though she is still a klutz...

~ Stephanie 

Yeah my Pyrs have never been 'skinny' either, they are very bulky actually lol..but wow, are they klutz's too lol. They are almost 8 months old, so they are close in age!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:02:41 pm by mama2many »

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 09:13:39 pm »
Sierra is gorgeous! I don't know what your friend is talking about!! Personally I think they look just as cute when they're going through their awkward phases, because they look so funny it's cute! Remy is definitely beginning to look awkward, he's coming on 5 mths, and he's getting very lanky! At puppy class he looks so out of place because he's so big for his breed!!! Two or three weeks ago, we weighed him and he was 50lbs! So my whole point is that, no matter what stage Sierra is in, she's one cute Newf!!!
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)