Author Topic: pregnancy update  (Read 4104 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
pregnancy update
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:07:27 pm »
i went to the doctor yesterday, and it was a very freaky check up.  he didn't do much, the baby apparently flipped back around (and boy did i know EXACTLY when she did that, because it hurt like crazy) and has changed her mind about coming  ???  he only did a heartbeat check, tummy check, and measured me (i was in there for 5 minutes).  i asked about a tubal or partial hysterectomy, and he agreed to do a partial without asking me ANY questions (why, what i knew about it or anything) and didn't offer any insight or information.  i was fine with that yesterday, because i always do my own research anyways, but today i'm super nervous about agreeing to it b/c i can't find any good sites about it.  i read that it's not a good procedure to have, for a number of reasons, but honestly haven't found anything good about it where it's concerned with someone my age.  all the sites say to just get a full one done b/c the good / bad are better with it than they are with a partial or just not get it at all.  i'm so confused about it.  my dr didn't even take the time to tell me what procedure he uses, or anything.  anywho, when i got measured my tummy measured 34cm, BUT, on the 19th of last month i measured 32cm.  shouldn't i be 36cm now since it's been a month???  is that a big deal, or does it vary?  i'm so confused now  :-\

p.s.  if anyone has had a partial done, i have tons of questions you might be able to answer!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

Re: pregnancy update
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:26:06 pm »
i went to the doctor yesterday, and it was a very freaky check up.  he didn't do much, the baby apparently flipped back around (and boy did i know EXACTLY when she did that, because it hurt like crazy) and has changed her mind about coming  ???  he only did a heartbeat check, tummy check, and measured me (i was in there for 5 minutes).  i asked about a tubal or partial hysterectomy, and he agreed to do a partial without asking me ANY questions (why, what i knew about it or anything) and didn't offer any insight or information.  i was fine with that yesterday, because i always do my own research anyways, but today i'm super nervous about agreeing to it b/c i can't find any good sites about it.  i read that it's not a good procedure to have, for a number of reasons, but honestly haven't found anything good about it where it's concerned with someone my age.  all the sites say to just get a full one done b/c the good / bad are better with it than they are with a partial or just not get it at all.  i'm so confused about it.  my dr didn't even take the time to tell me what procedure he uses, or anything.  anywho, when i got measured my tummy measured 34cm, BUT, on the 19th of last month i measured 32cm.  shouldn't i be 36cm now since it's been a month???  is that a big deal, or does it vary?  i'm so confused now  :-\

p.s.  if anyone has had a partial done, i have tons of questions you might be able to answer!

Gosh, I'm sorry. I remember knowing when my 2nd baby flipped too. It could mean nothing at all, just that she's still able to do it so she did! I can tell you this- it might make you feel better anyway. With my 2nd, at my 37 week checkup I measured 34cms.. I was actually a centimeter DOWN from the check up a week prior. Well the Dr. felt my belly and then did an u/s to confirm that the baby had flipped to a frank breech position. (head up, legs up next to his ears!) This was 37 weeks remember, he was still able to do it. The following week at the next checkup, he was back head down again and I measured 37 cm's. So..the babies position can defintitely affect how your uterus measures, I wouldn't worry about that.

She may or may not be ready to come, it just depends on her! He happened to be 3 days late, so he flipped back around in plenty of time to come- guess he was just messing with me. ;)

As far as the partial, I wish I had some info to give you but I know nothing about any of that. Maybe you should opt for a tubal instead? That seems more the way to go for people just not wanting anymore kids, and is a pretty standard procedure. I know if I were to want to get some kind of surgical birth control done, it wouldn't involve taking anything out! But that's just me. I know your family is very fertile as you've said before lol. It sounds like you have a lot of questions to ask your Dr. He doesn't sound like maybe one who is very easy to talk to? But, that is his job so I'd write a list of everything you want to know and make him sit there until you are satisfied with the answers.

How often are you getting check ups now?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:27:01 pm by mama2many »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:13 pm »
i'm glad to hear your baby flipped and you measured differently too! 

personally, i thought the partial would be better because both my mother and sister had babies after a tubal was done.  not to mention i'm on a schedule of getting pregnant every 22 months lmao.  i'd rather be safe than (not so) sorry.  three kids is just enough for me.  i'm not racist, so PLEASE don't take me wrong, but it makes me a little uncomfortable at my dr's office b/c i'm the only caucasian woman that goes there.  in fact, i think i've only seen two other caucasian women in the whole area...  BUT he was recommended by a good number of women hubby works with.  it's not that he's not nice, it's just that it's very awkward for me, i hope that makes sense and i don't make anyone upset!  i grew up in a very different community, and it's just an odd thing for me to be the "only" of something lol.  i feel a little out of place there, and i'm not a social butterfly to start with.

my check ups are weekly now, though if i have about 6 weeks left like the US says, i'm not quite sure why he has them that way now, he didn't seem to think she'd be coming anytime soon this appt.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:12:49 pm »
My mother in law had a partial done at about 28 because she was having complications from being pregnant sooo much (8 kids) Until last year everytime she would have a period or anything like period symptoms she couldn't even get out of bed... last year at the age of 41 they finally did a full hysto. since then she's been great, her dr. advised her that there are only rare cases that they do partials anymore. I would definately lean towards the tubal... but that's just me. Is you Dr. a family doc or an OB GYN?
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:21:02 am »
this is the stuff i've read online, which made me doubt my idea on getting a partial, and made me wonder why he agreed so quickly to it without mentioning ANY of this.  hubby and i had discussed it may have been that the payout on his end was too good to pass by, and since he knows we're military he may know we won't be around long enough to have problems before i leave, but as paranoid as i am, he may just be uneducated in the newer discoveries concerning this.  very scary, but there are those cruel people in the world who would consider the first part.  i looked up his credentials and he checks out.  he's old style, though, and is in his late 70's so i'm not sure if he just hasn't been back to school to update his knowledge or what, which scares me even more b/c he may use the big incision across my tummy way of doing it still.  my dr is an OB/GYN doctor, actually supposed to be the best in the area, and is the head OB/GYN guy at the hospital.  he specializes in infertility, which DEFINITELY is not my problem.  mine is more "fertility problems."  whenever i brought this up with my other doctors, they suggested to have one more baby later on (so if i decided i wanted a girl i had a chance) and then get a tubal, but always said no to a partial with no explanation.  i sure wish i would have asked why they didn't want to do one instead of just saying ok.   my mom is going to have a partial (due to problems) done around the same time i am, but with her it's due to over bleeding, etc.  i was really shocked when my doctor just said "ok" and wrote it down on my file.  hubby says i'm just being stupid for being nervous with this doctor now.

p.s.-  with the hormone concern, i read conflicting views on that one saying it would cause problems another saying since you were leaving the ovaries it wouldn't cause a problem and since the uterus was the only thing removed it would never be a problem...  i wish they had more "fact" pages instead of "opinion" things out there on this topic, but i guess there just hasn't been enough research?  especially long term effect research it seems.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:23:17 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:19:11 am »
Yeah, I was wondering why your dr was so willing to do it w/o any discussion, too.   :-\   I'll give the disclaimer, too...I'm not a dr, but like many of us, I do read a lot of things that come up on the Internet news and both my mom & my best friend have had this procedure, so I was curious.  Recently there was an article that listed the 10 medical procedures that you shouldn't need anymore and one of those was a hysterectomy (partial or full) UNLESS there is a cancer concern.  What I understood in this article was that for excessive bleeding they recommended the new  balloon technique (I'm not sure what it's called), and for sterilization they recommended a tubal.  The "old school" idea was that the uterus was only the baby buggy and if you were finished having babies, why'd you want that thing around anymore anyway.   ::)  IMO this was the old guys network of male MD's talking and an older MD might still be thinking in this way.  They've now found that the uterus has other purposes and removing it can cause some problems with intimacy, also.  You may want to check out the latest info on sexual dysfunction regarding hysterectomies .  I hope that this isn't too blunt for BPO, but I think that it's something to consider before having an irreversible procedure done.

BTW, congratulation s on the little girl that you're expecting.  That's really exciting.   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 04:04:26 am »
if anyone has links to articles about this, please share, i'd really like to read them so i can discuss them with my doctor.  i'm having a real hard time finding stuff other than just general "this is what they do and how they do it" articles.  i haven't found but a few sites listing a FEW pro's and con's of it.  i really appreciate everyone's help, i'm glad that you guys agree that this is odd that he's not asking any questions, etc.  i'm definately going to bring up a lot of these concerns next week.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:07:01 am »
steffanie i would post on yahoo answers... ask for first hand experiences of the procedure and what they thought about it... just for more of a general opinion.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 03:51:46 pm »
thanks for that information!  how do i do that though?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 04:38:39 pm »
Have you tried Web MD yet? They have really good articles on just about everything. I know your probably really anxious to make a decision one way or another but please please get another opinion from a diffrent doctor in your area. How old are you by the way? And how many kids do you have? And besides not wanting to get pregnant again is there any MEDICAL reasons to having a partial done? I will get more info for you.... I am also pregnant(3rd) and under the care of a private OB GYN here in Indiana - and I trust her with my life.. she has been with me through every pregnancy..and every miscarriage :'(, I am sure she would be more then willing to openly answer some general questions for me.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 05:31:21 pm »
i have not gone to webmd yet, i totally forgot about that site!  i don't know how i always go there for information.  anywho, i'm 22, this is my 3rd, and no there's no medical reason for getting one other than that tubal's have failed for both my mom and sister.  that's why *we* asked about it to start with.  this is my first time dealing with this doctor, actually, the first time i've dealt with a private OB/GYN at all.  i've always had military doctors, who are very blunt about what they think instead of this "ok, sure, whatever you want" style.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 04:52:42 am »
thanks for that information!  how do i do that though?
go to www.answers.ya hoo.com and press the ask button, and if you arent registered you'll need to. and then type your question and post it's easy step by step like our forum. and pick what category you want it in, so you wont have the wrong group reading it, there's literaly thousands of ppl on yahoo answers every day! pm me your addy and i will invite you if you like...anyway your question is open for answers for 3 days and longer if you extend it, and at the end you choose a 'best answer' and the winner of the best answer gets 10 points. it costs 5 points to ask a question and newbies start with 100 pts to begin with i think. but the whole points thing is so ppl are motivated to answer.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown