Author Topic: Grrr, he's still limping :(  (Read 9128 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Grrr, he's still limping :(
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 05:44:47 pm »

I wouldn't give Motrin at all.  Ibuprofen can cause ulcers and kidney failure in dogs.  If you're going to give him anything, I'd stick with buffered Aspirin, 5mg/lb every 12 hours. 

YIKES. I know it's not great for people either- good to know. Thank you. :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:50 pm »
I second the no-go on Motrin or any human pain reliever for that matter.  Stick with Traumeel or Arnica as it sounds like you have.

As for icing, you can just use a frozen bag of peas :)  Simply apply to the joint area with the dog lying down - feed a couple of treats during so he lets you keep it there for the duration.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 11:17:43 pm »
i just wanted to put my 2cents in about using medication. i read someone say "no human pain reliever" and im guessing its because of ulcer risk and ladada (im too lazy to type it all now) and i just wanted to say that if you dont want to use it thats fine, but those kind of side effects are going to be from long term use, if the pup needs that relief fast, and you dont have a perscription from a vet, or any other kind of meds, something like Bufferin is awesome to use. I just dont want you to get freaked out about side effects and not use anything because youre nervous, and then feel guilty! i went through that with my pup, sometimes you just have to go with what you think will be right... like when everyone told me i needed to switch foods becuse i wasnt feeding a good enough food, and then when i did, she got worse... sometimes, MOMMA knows best!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!