Author Topic: Anyone had a dog with dislocated shoulder?  (Read 21220 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Anyone had a dog with dislocated shoulder?
« on: August 17, 2007, 02:38:24 am »
Forgive me guys for grasping at straws here. Waiting to take him to the vet is driving me a little nuts wondering what the heck is wrong with my poor boy. His limp is now worse and he is holding his paw off the ground now or to the side all the time. I wrote this in another post that I felt both shoulders today to compare them and there is an obvious differnce in his hurt leg. It's almost as though the top of the joint protrudes out at the top and is pokey. He was sitting and I was in front of him feeling both shoulders from the top sides. I have no idea what would cause that unless something it maybe out of place. I was trying to look up on the internet anything I could find to try to match up what I'm seeing and feeling with a particular problem. I know, what's the point- but I'm famous for reading a little too much about things like this.

Again, sorry if I'm making anybody crazy with all my questions and wondering. Just sucks that my hands are tied and I can't help my sweet Yukon.  :(

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone had a dog with dislocated shoulder?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:50:25 am »
I hope that someone here can tell you something about a dislocated shoulder.  I haven't had any experience with one (thank God), but there are other things that can cause that kind of swelling, too.  I know it seems like forever until Monday!  Is there any way to get him in to the vet tomorrow, so that he can get some pain meds or something to give him some comfort in the meantime?   :(  I'm so sorry that you & Yukon are going through this.   :(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:30:14 am »
Oh poor Yukon! Poor you! I know you're worried sick.

There is a group called Orthodogs. A support group. Lots of info from and for people. I think you can just google it.

Everything seems to happen on weekends. Would your Vet be willing to see Yukon tomorrow? Or maybe he could tell if it's OK to give him an Ascriptin? (sp) Walmart has a generic.

Hope someone else is on tonight who has some experience with this.

HUGS to Yukon!  :-*
Jane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:40:28 am »
Oh poor Yukon! Poor you! I know you're worried sick.

There is a group called Orthodogs. A support group. Lots of info from and for people. I think you can just google it.

Everything seems to happen on weekends. Would your Vet be willing to see Yukon tomorrow? Or maybe he could tell if it's OK to give him an Ascriptin? (sp) Walmart has a generic.

Hope someone else is on tonight who has some experience with this.

HUGS to Yukon!  :-*
Jane

Well this has been going on for almost 2 weeks now.. and we were under the impression it was a sprain and coming from his leg- now it seems that's not the case at all. The vets I talked to a few days ago told us to wait it out a little longer too..but like I said now it's worse. I'm not sure about the vet since he's never been there, we've been looking for a new one and this will be the first they've seen of him. Hubby also won't be able to help me out tomorrow since he works all day. So here I am going driving myself crazy, but what else is new. ::) At least he just rests all the time, lays down mostly. I'm letting them outside seperately now so they won't play and he will just get his business done and come back in and lay down.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:47:27 pm »
Well I broke down and gave him some Bufferin last night, I willl give another does in about an hour. It hasn't seemed to help any yet, but maybe the 2nd dose will help. I was hoping to offer him some kind of relief since I feel helpless and it's very hard to watch him.

:-\

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:54:02 pm »
I hate to be pushy, but maybe you should try to find a way to get him into a vet today. I know that you have the kids and its hard by yourself but if it is something major, waiting only makes it worse and getting it to heal could mean surgery. Finding a good vet is sometimes hard. I have found mine and she is wonderful and will meet me anytime I need her (unless she is out of town and then she has a back up) I wish that you were closer- we would have already had him in to see the vet. Unfortunately the little guy definetly has something going on for this to have progressed to this point. Keep us updated, I really love hearing about Yukon and Yiska since they are the same age as Tugs.

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 04:25:14 pm »
Lucy has had her tail dislocated on many occasion and the pain is really intense.. We always take her to the emergency vet as soon as it starts to get her treated quickly, but usually even after the vet there is still pain for a few days... I would get yours to a vet ASAP.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:59:32 pm »
Yeah, I understand. I was going by the Vet's advice with waiting and it just kind of got worse all of a sudden. Most places out here are closed already today and the cost of an emergency vet is out of the question unfortunately. His appt isn't until later in the afternoon on Monday, so I'm gonna call first thing Monday morning and see if I can get him in sooner either there, or somewhere else.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 05:27:36 pm »
Well I found a few that are open for another 30 minutes so I called for an earlier Monday appt but of course with it being that short of notice, and being Monday..seems no one has mornings availble. :-\ I found one that would see him at 11, but when I told her I wanted an x-ray, she said she didn't want to tie up the one Dr. she had at that time, so they like to wait to do those in the afternoon- since most likely because he's large, he will need to be sedated. So, 3:30 it is. Oh well. I opted to try them instead since they do soft tissue and orthopedic surgery there, physical therapy etc..so they should have some more expertise maybe.

Thanks for listening and hanging in there with us.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 01:16:24 am »
Well, the asprin doesn't seem to have improved it at all..he's limping just as bad as ever. :( Thank you, I'd be interested in what Atticus had.