Author Topic: This is so NOT dog related ~ for the moms ~ formula question  (Read 2903 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
This is so NOT dog related ~ for the moms ~ formula question
« on: August 19, 2007, 03:50:35 pm »
Okay here is my question ~ the more formula(ounces) that you give the baby(2.5wks preemie), the longer it should be in between feeds right/wrong?  ???

example:

8am 3oz
11  3oz
2pm 3.50z
5   3oz
8   3oz
11  3.5oz
5am 3.5oz

if the baby can go from 11-5 on 3.5oz should it not go longer during the day or where should I add another 3.5oz during the day, trying to get # of ounces up,

I know this is all just a jumble of words that are not coming out right so if anyone can help I just can't think straight and my others were breast fed

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
Re: This is so NOT dog related ~ for the moms ~ formula question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:04:29 pm »
OK so the "theory" is that the more you feed them them longer they will go, BUT I know of plenty of babies who are perfectly happy to eat every 2-4 hours no matter how much you feed them. My opinion has always been to try whatever you think will work best, and if you find out it's not working well you can always change again. As long as your not switching formula types or brands switching up the feeding schedule shouldn't do anything crazy to the baby except maybe more diaper changes. I did use formula after 9 months of breastfeeding with both of mine, but because I only had a few months on the formula I really don't remember the exact specifics. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:16:16 pm »
Okay here is my question ~ the more formula(ounces) that you give the baby(2.5wks preemie), the longer it should be in between feeds right/wrong?  ???

example:

8am 3oz
11  3oz
2pm 3.50z
5   3oz
8   3oz
11  3.5oz
5am 3.5oz

if the baby can go from 11-5 on 3.5oz should it not go longer during the day or where should I add another 3.5oz during the day, trying to get # of ounces up,

I know this is all just a jumble of words that are not coming out right so if anyone can help I just can't think straight and my others were breast fed

Actually if  she goes from 11-5 she more than likely will be hungrier during the day and maybe eat every two hours to make up for the long span at night. If she is getting her calories she needs during the day hours then she will sleep longer in the night hours which is the goal.  I found trying to keep them on a feeding schedule and holding them off for a set amount of time just made for a fussy baby she is still little and she is a premie if shes hungry feed her.  I formula fed my boys and that is how I did it.  Good luck.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 05:26:09 pm »
i always just fed ours when they were hungry (both of ours had acid reflux so we did it because they typically lost a lot of what they eat when they got sick) and made a specific amount that they "typically" ate at that point in their life.  if they wanted more i would make half of that amount and give it to them (trying not to waste) and they were typically full.  if not, i'd make a little more but was always careful not to over feed because of the A.R.  after a while, i noticed a schedule of when they were typically hungrier, and when they typically ate less as well as when they wanted to eat.  both my boys did their own schedule, i just had to figure out what they wanted it to be.  with us, this worked well, we had them sleeping through the night on 99% of nights within a week or two and they were happy as could be.

don't worry, though, it'll make sense soon just don't worry about the small stuff!  do what you think is right for you and your baby.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:40:42 pm »
Gosh, I hope you figure it out! I've only breastfed so I would be lost too lol. I always fed on demand so there was no guesswork, made it easy anyway.

Good luck!!

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:13:47 pm »
Alittle more insight to this wee one (baby) is not mine,(baby) was born at 35 wks 4'15, came here at 4'7 only taking 1-2oz every 3hr and that was on the 5th, (baby) was up to 5'2 on the 13th and I was told to take out the 2am feed if (baby) would sleep through. So we must be doing somethig right, I am happy that (baby) is sleeping from 11-5. I am just so unsure of this formula thing as I thought the way of the 'theory' but during the day (baby) will wake up sometimes at 3hr and other times at 4hr doesn't matter how many oz given. (baby) is on Similac Advance, thanks so much everyone  :-*
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:21:29 pm »
I formula fed both of my girls, as long as the baby is gaining, let baby set the schedule. They will usually take more as they grow. I always made bottles an ounce over what I knew that they would eat and would increase as they started to take all of the bottle. My oldest never took more than 4 ounces at a time until she was 9 months old. She slept through the night starting at 8 weeks. So as long as baby is gaining, now worries, baby will let you know when they need more.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 10:38:40 pm »

example:

8am 3oz
11  3oz
2pm 3.50z
5   3oz
8   3oz
11  3.5oz
5am 3.5oz

Actually if  she goes from 11-5 she more than likely will be hungrier during the day and maybe eat every two hours to make up for the long span at night. If she is getting her calories she needs during the day hours then she will sleep longer in the night hours which is the goal.  I found trying to keep them on a feeding schedule and holding them off for a set amount of time just made for a fussy baby she is still little and she is a premie if shes hungry feed her.  I formula fed my boys and that is how I did it.  Good luck.

that is exactly what i was going to type, and exactly how i bottle fed both of my babies! every baby is different also and has different requirements, a baby that's getting enough formula will have wet diapers that are light colored, and have regular bm's (though the bm's varry for every baby too) so as long as the diapers look healthy i'd say youre good to go, also the fontanells sink in when dehydrated that's another sign of not getting enough. hope this helps :)
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown