Author Topic: stressed about dogs  (Read 1697 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
stressed about dogs
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:50:26 am »
I have been so depressed this week. For those that don't know we have 2 little paws. Cookie a 7ish year old min-pin that we rescued about 2 years ago, and Dixie a 5 year old min-pin/Jack russel mix we have had since a puppy. Well They have always gotten along pretty well. But lately they have been spending 24/7 together whether it is out in the pen or sleepin g in a crate. i think they are sick of each other.
Well first off. Cookie got attacked about 2 months ago by a GSD, it was just a skin rip, several stitches and some anti biotics. She was good. Then her and Dixie got into 2 different times. Dixie called right off..Cookie kept jumping Dixie even though she was getting her a$$ kicked. So we have kept them seperated. I decided to look for a home for Cookie. She would be the PERFECT lap dog for an older person.
  Well the other day Dixie was on leash, Cookie off. Morgayne was pestering Cookie. Cookie decided to run to Dixie and attack her. Dixie beat the crap out of her. Tore her back leg open through the muscle. Looks like hamburger. So off to the vet after hours... stitches, antibiotics, she is healing nicely. Sooo now she has to go. I have found a min-pin rescue that will take her. She will go into a foster home probably this week. It is best for her...but I feel like a failure.

Then to top that off still no home for Beau, he needs a home where he can be loved. His heartworm treatments are done, I have been working with him. He is such a sweet boy and will be a great pet. I have even tried Collie and Saint rescues. They don't even answer my e-mails. He has to find a home before winter. He is living outside because of Thorn, and because he jumped on one of my bird cages (eeek!!). He has a doghouse, but he does not need to be out during the winter. Bleck I didn't think it would be so hard to find him a home. He is so beautiful.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

bigdogs@5501

Re: stressed about dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:37:57 pm »
Beau is beautiful, I wish that I could take him,just cant. Try some of the individual rescue groups, they are more likely to take him into thier program if they are not having to personally foster him and most of the rescue groups have a pretty good screening process. So he could stay at your house be be available on thier list of dogs.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:05:30 pm »
Wow that is a sad situation. But don't think of yourself as a failure. You've done the best that you can for these dogs and sometimes it just doesn't work out. Nothing you can or could have done.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:24:56 pm »
I agree totally - we can only do so much, but we can't change the inherent nature of our dogs. You have done lots more for the little paw than anyone would have otherwise, and you're continuing to do the right thing by moving him on at this point, for his own safety, well being and happiness. As far as Beau goes, that stinks, too, but now that he's well, maybe it's time for a no holds barred adoption effort? Ads, Craigslist, posts at the vet's office and pet store, etc? You're never a failure if you're doing the best you can. You're an angel to these pups, and you're their gateway to a better life. Deep breath, now! ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:46:57 pm »
I made up flyers with his picture...no calls. I have put him on craigslist..go t a few replies but no one serious (I have relisted him several times). And the vet receptionist gave some guy my ## he is a breeder...his daughter want a saint, (I am thinking then why don't you give her a puppy?) He only has 1 pair of dogs...and he said he only breeds her once a year, he figures that's enough! Then he tells me his daughter has like 3 kids and one on the way....and to top it off he then tries to say he is a member of H O P E  which is a local organization for giving animals better lives (including spay and neuter and he is a breeder!!)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.