Author Topic: Toxic foods for dogs  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Toxic foods for dogs
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:48:44 am »
I received this email today and thought I would share it witha all of you. Some pretty interesting things that I never thought could be toxic for a dog, like potate peelings. Sorry about it being so long.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxi city ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.  He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM .

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....    Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney
Function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.  At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Chocolate, macadamia nuts and onions are good examples. Each of these foods contains chemicals which rarely cause problems for humans, but for dogs, these same chemicals can be deadly.

·  Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning)

·  Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

·  Rhubarb leaves

·  Mouldy/spoiled foods

·  Alcohol

·  Yeast dough

·   Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

·  Hops (used in home brewing)

·  Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

·  Broccoli (in large amounts)

·  Raisins and grapes

·  Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Toxic foods for dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:05:53 am »
Thank you for the information,  I had no idea about Broccoli, I'll be forwarding this on to my aunt who often gives her two small dogs bits of it raw as treats.  And does anyone know if Carrots are okay?  We often give our pups baby carrots as treats, I have noticed that it doesn't really digest (there are always bits of orange in their poop after they have a carrot) but is it particularily good or bad either way for them, or does it just not matter?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:10:03 am »
I've never heard of carrots being bad for dogs.  I knew some of those things but hadn't heard about broccoli. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:14:06 am »
I didn't think so, but you never really know for sure until you ask. :)
I'm glad no one thinks their bad, I wouldn't want to take away a treat that they like so much.
Hey, thanks eh!  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:38:11 am »
I called Naturapet recently to ask about the lower calorie version of Innova and they suggested that we just add cooked green beans and carrots to the regular food to bulk up the dog's meal and lower the overall calories.  So I assume that they are both ok for dogs.  I didn't know that broccoli was a no-no though, Daisy loves it.  I'll let my kids know not to sneak her any more broccoli.   ::)   :) Thanks for the info!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:23:01 am »
I had no idea about grapes.  The kids have given Cheyenne grapes that they dropped, I'll be sure to put a stop to it!  Thanks for the heads up.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

angelsmama

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:20:47 am »
wow, few as 7? i knew they were bad but not THAT bad  :o

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:39:02 pm »
wow that's good to know, thanks for posting.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 06:22:58 pm »
Yup it can be pretty scary when you don't know that the foods we give them can be toxic.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 11:51:30 pm »
i was just reading about the apples and it made me sort of go "oh sh**t" we have an apple tree outside in our yard, and chloe likes to lay under it. i cought her chewing on an apple that had fallen the other day, but i didnt think anything of it... i dont know how im going to keep up with that, we lose so many off of it! and i cant stop her from laying under it, she loves it.
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!