Author Topic: D'oh!  (Read 4872 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
D'oh!
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:53:29 am »
 :o
Puppies 1; Alex 0!
Here's the background,  I took the puppies for a walk a while ago, we live on a dirt road and it's been raining so they got quite muddy.  When we got back to the house I got them some fresh water and left them on the porch (We have a nice covered porch that's all screened in) for them to dry off.  I went in and started dinner, cleaned the kitchen, loaded the dishwater etc.  When I figured they were dry enough (maybe half an hour) I went out with a towel, wiped off their dirty paws and brought them in to have the rest of the dirt brushed out.
Anyhoo, dinner time came along and the puppies were hungry so I went out to the porch where I keep their food seperated in sealed tupperware containers.  Well lo and behold Moo's (the Cairn Poo) food container had been knocked over, opened up and emptied of all contents!  There was a good 7 or 8 cups worth of food still in there, enough at least to last the little one till the end of the week. 
Now I notice Naja's tummy is a little swollen, not huge mind you, but definately full of food.  Now I'm worried about Boat.  I don't know if I should be, but I've been reading so much about it lately that I'm kinda worried.  Could eating that much food cause it, and should I give her water, she's awfully thirsty, but I'm scared that if I let her drink, then the food (Which we were planning on switching to a grain free food that won't expand at all) will expand in her tummy causing her to be sick or worse get bloat.  Is this something that I should be worried about?  Am I being silly?  Should I take her to the vet?  She did already have one small poop since I noticed the food gone.
Someone help me please!  I'm making myself crazy worrying so much.  My step father says that she'll be fine, but he's not so much a dog person as more a cow person. (We have a dairy farm)I could use some advise on whether I'm being silly or not.
Thanks
Alex
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: D'oh!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:23 am »
I would call the vet and see what they tell you to do.  Also, if you are worried about giving her water but she's thirsty just give her a small quantity of water like 1/2c until you talk to the vet. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:21:42 am »
That's a good idea.  It's after 8 pm here now, so I'm off to find an animal clinic that's open.  Wish me luck!
 :D

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:42:38 am »
Oh my! Good luck and let us know what happens.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:46:56 pm »
i wish you luck, keep us updated as soon as you hear what the vet has to say
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:27:17 pm »
hahaha, I have to laugh, I'm sorry.

I too have experienced this...however, my Pitty/Am Bull mix, Bo, ate approximately 8 pounds of food. Yup. 8 pounds. He ripped open a brand new bag of Wysong.

His tummy was HUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUG E and swollen for like, 24 hours. He couldn't lay flat. It was ridiculous. He was fine.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:20:03 am »
Okay.
Well I'll admit now that I over reacted just a smidge.  :-[
The vet said that the amount she ate is really nothing that will cause any harm other then maybe a bit of a tummy ache.  She's fine now, her tummy was alittle upset last night, and she did have to go out several more times then usual to do her business.  Tummy is back to normal size, and she is back to her normal playful self.
Ha ha
Guess I should invest in food containers that are a little more puppy proof, maybe something with a pad lock.  ;)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:33:13 am »
I'm glad that she's ok, always better to be safe than sorry, so it's good that you had her checked out by the vet.   ;)

I would definitely go for a good strong latch or lock.  I've known of Pyrs that can open different kinds of gate latches, so ya just never know....   ;D  ::)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:14 am »
I'm glad that she's ok, always better to be safe than sorry, so it's good that you had her checked out by the vet.   ;)

I would definitely go for a good strong latch or lock.  I've known of Pyrs that can open different kinds of gate latches, so ya just never know....   ;D  ::)

She is quite the little Hoodini (sp?).  She can manage the latch on the dog run outside.  It's a lift and flip kind, I have to stick something in there so she can't lift it.  ;D

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:48:33 am »
I'm so glad that she's doing fine and feeling better today. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:52 pm »
I know that you're kidding about the padlock, but Petsmart carries these stackable containers that have a pretty good door on them and do have the ability to be locked. We use them for Phelan's and the kitties food and like them alot. You could use a carabiner (sp?) to keep them from opening.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 05:02:40 pm »
I'm glad to hear she is ok. Yes they can be Hodinis when they really want something!