Author Topic: Soon To Be Newfie Owner  (Read 19523 times)

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Soon To Be Newfie Owner
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:20:06 am »
I just wanted to stop in and say hello to everyone. I have been reading the forums for a couple of days now. I must say all of the stories I have read from here are very educational and entertaining.

Since I am about to be a first time Newfie owner I wanted to research as much as I could about this breed. I must say what I have learned, I am already in love with this breed.

I am sure I will have questions over the coming months and hope to be able to get what seems to be sound advice from this forum. In the mean time here are a few pics of our new Landseer Newfie we will be getting next Monday.

BTW his name will be Chewbacca. If you notice on one of the pictures he looks as though he has the letter C carved out in his coat.

He doesnt look to clean right now but I think that is because they took those pictures after he was outside playing and had been in the pool and got in to some dirt LOL.

Any advice you can give now would be appreciated. From dog food suggestions to anything you feel will help us give him every advantage possible for a happy health life.

BTW forgot to mention he is 11 weeks old.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:25:14 am by MadGenius »

Nicole

Re: Soon To Be Newfie Owner
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:38:55 pm »
OHHHHHHHHHH!

When does he come home?! How exciting!

I'm Nicole, and I'm lucky to share my life with Cabeza and Mabel, two big black hairy mutts.

Tina is right, the nutrition thing is the most important thing. Read through the nutrition threads, paying special attention to anything written by Holly. She knows everything and is the smartest person alive and also she is very beautiful and tall. ;)

Welcome! Oh, and another thing Tina's right about, you will need to post as many pics as you can muster. Is a RULE.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:48 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO!  This is a great site with great people and you'll get tons of onfo about your new baby.

My name is Stephanie and I am experiencing my first Newf also.  Her name is Sierra and she is now about 7 months old.  I always knew I'd love a Newf, but I never realizd how much.  After a few months with Chewbacca, you'll never want to own another breed!  Newfs are the most amazing, good natured, affectionate dogs I have ever met.

Let us know the minute you bring Chewbacca home. Oh and by the way, a few of us here have kidnap lists...he is so darn cute he has jumped to the top of mine!

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:19:41 pm »
welcome to BPO im Christy, chewbacca is adorable! whatever questions you have, im sure we'll be able to help. :)
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:49:48 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words. I will take a look at the food section. I have read different opinions as to whether to feed him high protein or not.

As for when we will get him it will be next Monday, he gets in from his flight at 11:33 am. We only have a few pictures of him that the breeder has sent so I can post a few more of those. Once we get him though I plan on taking a ton of pictures.

Here are some other photos of this little furball.

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:52:42 pm »
Oh I forgot to add one photo. This was one of him when he was a lot smaller...make s me want to jump right in that hole with him LOL.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 06:59:16 pm »
Oh, he is just too stinking cute.  I want him.  How soon can you drop him off at my house?   ;D ;D ;D

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 07:01:32 pm »
While I'm in the collecting mood - Melissa, I think Sophie is absolutely beautiful.  I want her too.  Can you drop her off too?  LOL!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 07:09:18 pm »
I dont think thats possible. My family would probably sooner send me to your house than this new puppy LOL. I am house trained if that happens ROFLOL.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 07:31:20 pm »
House trained is a big plus...

But the more important question is - with 3 teenagers and friends that practically live at our house - do you do laundry??? HAHAHAHA!  It just seems like we have a Volkswagen size pile of laundry at all times...

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 11:44:07 pm »

But the more important question is - with 3 teenagers and friends that practically live at our house - do you do laundry??? HAHAHAHA!  It just seems like we have a Volkswagen size pile of laundry at all times...

~ Stephanie

I can see your Volkswagen and raise you a Hummer for piles of laundry..LOL.

Also I forgot who ask but if I didnt answer we pick him up next Monday at 11:33 from the airport.

I just got back in and went out and went crazy buying toys and all the other little goodies. By the time I was done I spent well over $200.

I got this really neat looking backpack for him. I read that Newfies love to carry stuff while you are walking them. In that same article I was also surprised to see that this bread can haul/pull up to 2000 lbs..not that I plan on cutting back on gas or anything LOL.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:50:49 pm »

~ Stephanie

I got this really neat looking backpack for him. I read that Newfies love to carry stuff while you are walking them.

Backpacking for dogs is great but they shouldn't be carrying anything until they are about 2 years old  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:53:33 am »
Related to food can anyone tell me if Purina One is a good choice for food for Giant Breeds?

If not what food would you recommend?

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:12:01 pm »
Purina One is not a good food for ANY breed, particularly a giant breed. Its low quality and has a ton of fillers.

I have my dogs on Innova Evo. Evo is the no-grain, all protien variety. Its too high in protien for giant breed puppies, but as he gets older its a great choice. I know a lot of people on this board feed their giant breed puppies Innova Adult.

The Evo has been great with my dogs, though. Cabeza literally eats about a cup and a half a day. (He's 100 pounds and a little on the tubby side) Their poop is almost non-existent, they have BEAUTIFUL SHINY coats, good breath, no skin itchies, etc.

When I first adopted Cabeza, he was on Purina one. He CONSTANTLY chewed his feet, itched his rear and his coat was dull and his skin was flaky. I highly recommend that you don't feed that product!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 05:46:34 pm »
Did you get to check out the food forum yet?  I am paranoid about hip/elbow dysplasia, and I had a small panic attack about food yesterday and was given a lot of information.  And a lot of reassurance  :)  I have pored over all of the info and have decided to go with a different brand.  In my opinion, the higher cost of the food, will be well spent if it means Sierra will stay healthier and live longer.  She is also itching all the time.  It's not fleas and I'm starting to suspect her food.

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret