Author Topic: Soon To Be Newfie Owner  (Read 19522 times)

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Soon To Be Newfie Owner
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 02:49:38 am »
I'm sorry, I can't help with your weight question.  But I do want to say I am happy that he is the age that he is.  He has learned many important things from his mother and siblings in this time.  Many times we hear of pups being taken from their mothers way too young.

I'd also like to suggest you skip the beach on his first day in his new home.  That flight is going to be a bit stressful for him.  And although he will see how loving and excited you are to finally have him in your arms, he's gonna be exhausted.  Maybe just a day, possibly two of slugging around in his new home.  You know getting the feel of things.

Oh, and please post pics as soon as you can.

Skipping the beach may be hard since we live on it, but I understand what you are saying. I also agree with you that you shouldnt take a Newfie pup before they are at least 11 or 12 weeks old IMHO.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 01:47:25 pm »
your breeder is the expert and should be requiring you to feed certain diet,along with keeping an eye on hisfront legs for growth that is abnormal from the knee downward, thepastern area.
if you feed the wrong food to an individual pup it can cause rapid growth that is unhealthy for said pup.
the slower they grow, the healthier it is .
some male pups must be fed turkey necks during the teething height gaining stage due to certain requirements of natural calcium/protein, ratio having to be just right so the pasterns dont goeast west on you.
i am surprised if your breeder did not send you out, with the knowlege that SHE IS YOUR COACH
no one knows her lines like she does, and she isthe food expert you should get guidance from.
remember, the slow growth is prefered, meaning, that with mine, at about 4 years is when they are fully mature and are at the normal weight, males 130-150
for the first four years they may be scrawny and at about 100-110 pds
dont be obesessed with a huge newf.
it is not healthy.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 01:37:29 am »
Well, I'm guessing that if the breeder were any kind of decent "coach" MadGenius wouldn't be here asking these questions.  Unfortunately, not all breeders provide the information and support that they should, which is what makes this forum such a lifesaver for so many.

As for food choices, Solid Gold is a good food.  I prefer Innova myself, but I think Solid Gold would be a good choice, too--especially if it's available closer to you.  Unless there is something especially peculiar about your dog's lines, any of the super premium foods would be a reasonable choice.  Watch his growth closely, and make changes as needed.

No the breeder has been helpful but after reading this forum it seems to me that there are some very knowledgable people here that I can learn from.

With all the questions I have I would be on the phone with the breeder 24/7 LOL.

The food I chose is Solid Gold simply because of the content within the food. I wanted to make sure that the food I chose was low in protein which SG is only 22% so I figure that is a good thing.

We also plan to mix his processed food with other natural foods to promote health growth. This may also include some supplements as well.

I did get another picture from the breeder today when he was a little bitty pup. He will be here on Monday and we are excited to see this little furball.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 01:52:10 pm »
For a breeder to allow you to choose your own food? i dont think is a good thing.
did your breeder educate you on the teething stage? to keep an eye on the growth? the east west that happens at the pasterns as they gain height?
The rapid growth that is frowned on big timeby us, the Cautions you need to take with a youngster?
Excersise,, Classes, training???

P>S>

my posts are not meant tooffend, only to educate, and certainly sometimes i dontword things just so andcan be taken out of context so forgive me that.

i personally do not recommend solid gold to young growing pups.
i used to feed it to my adults that did SAR and they did not hold weight on it.
i raise mine on wysong synorgen, and, i prefer CANIDAE over Inova, innova is to rich for some newf pups.
Keeping them thin the first 18 months is an advantage, i can feel each rib and the spine.
all i can say is i hope the breeder is EDUCATING you, and those that readthis thread should learn, that a good breeder coaches their people and has guidlines for reasons that they explain to them.
If this breeder is actually doing all that! than kudos to you!
just becouse a breeder talks 24/7 doesnt mean they are good unlessthe talk is productive and educational.
good luck with your pup and hopefully your breeder is there for you after the money changes hands.

recently a woman in town learned a valuable lesson, this has nothing to do with the orignal post but many who read this thread could learn from it.
Thinking that what i and other breeders charge for a pup was way unreasonable, she thought she could save a few $$ by going to a "supposed" good breeder north of me, who pushes out litter after litter of repeat breedings.
the dogs are not there for anything but to make a few $
so instead of paying 1700 she paid 1000
she thought she had a huge savings, until the pup was home,and breeder promised time and again to send the akc registration papers.
so after endless calling and finally getting a hold of this breeder who at first was SO friendly, she is to cough up another 600 dollars to get theregistratio n papers.
By the way, there was no contract, even though i warned this woman about everything the mill and BYB people do, she went on to do her thing, wich is her rightto do.
first i wonder, since when did mill stuff become the same price as what we breeders that continually and carefully strive to produce???
why do people still think that certain pups should be less $$ in a litter than others????
the price is a set price per pup in a litter, no diffeence in $$
to make a long story short this woman did not save a dime. nadda and nothing, and still is dealing with trying to get the papers so she can do obedience and rally etc at the dog shows, wich now she is going to have to get an ILP #
 She called me andthanked me for theadvice and told me she learned so much from this experience, i told her to please help educate...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:07:07 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 09:44:33 pm »
Yes we are aware of making sure that this pup doesnt grow to quickly. As for the pasterns, I have read a little about this but not spoke to the breeder about it.

Our Vet has a male Newfie and we expect to be able to ask her questions and get some good advice from her as well as the breeder and other information outlets like this.

One thing I have learned in life is to make sure no matter whom you are speaking with about a particular subject ALWAYS get another perspective.

I do not rely on just the breeders advice but also others that I feel have good sound advice to offer. It sounds as though you are very knowledgable about Newfies and I am listening to what you are saying.

However I never make a snap decision on something until I have researched that subject myself and asked questions.

No matter what our Chewbacca needs, he will be provided it. If I have to feed him Ribeyes ever night to make sure he mantains a heathy life thats what we will do( Not Suggesting That..Just Making A Point ). No matter what is required to keep him healthy and safe we will do it.

I am not offended by your post. You seem to be concerned for this breed which I can respect. I invite you to chime in at anytime. I am more than open to listening to what you have to say about the breed.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 03:28:38 am »
Newfs are the cutest puppies!!!  we've seen a lot of them grow up here on BPO!  we can't wait to see you baby.

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 04:12:13 pm »
Well we picked Chewbacca up from the airport Monday and I was able to get a few pictures yesterday. When we got to the airport and got him his crate was messy...he had an accident in it.

Since we didnt want our baby smelling we took him to the groomers and had him washed. Today he goes to the Vets office to get checked out to make sure all is well with him.

I will make a few post so I can upload these photos. BTW he is a pistol...he has already been trying to test the limits LOL...I only slept about 2 hours last night since Chewbacca got to barking in the middle of the night and my wife had to get up early this morning and we didnt go to bed till about 1am, so I got him out of his crate and laid in the flor with him till he went to sleep.

Some really god news though is it took us only yesterday to train him to go potty outside...he goes to the door when he needs to go out. I ask the breeder if she has trained him and she said no she hadnt.

Chewbacca and our Lab have also been running around the house like crazy...one starts to chase the other and then they switch and the other starts to chase back. Its been a blast watching those two.

I will make a couple of post to upload these photos.

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 04:13:56 pm »
Here are a few more pictures of Chewbacca.

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 04:16:13 pm »
One More    ;D

All these were taken downstairs in a room we have kind of laid out for the dogs. They got plenty of room to run around and we also house their kennels down there.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 04:22:18 pm »
What a cutie pie!!!   :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 06:07:20 pm »
awwwww he's such a dollbaby! yup, it definatly sounds like you've got a keeper there! :D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Lyn

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 06:30:38 pm »
Congrats on your new puppy! He's adorable!  :-*

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 10:15:59 pm »
AHHH he is soooo cute. But you have to change your subject to New Newfie Owner!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2007, 12:54:20 am »
It's good that he's already giving you signs when he wants out. That's pretty lucky.

He looks so adorable! Keep those pictures coming.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 01:41:50 am »
OMG!!!!!
Now if that's not the CUTEST darned puppy I've seen in a long time!!!!!!  I'm starting a kidnap list, and he's on the top of it!!!

Congradulation s (I know I can't spell.  ::))on the new addition, also on having one that was so quick to learn to go outside!   ;D
He sure is lucky to have a family that is so concerned and so willing to do all the appropriate research to keep him healthy and happy!  I hope you have MANY MANY MANY years together.
Big kisses on his little nose!!   :-* :-* :-*  And big sloppy kisses from Naja!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!