Author Topic: Soon To Be Newfie Owner  (Read 19520 times)

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Soon To Be Newfie Owner
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47:11 pm »
Thank you all for the kind responses. Its early here and he woke us up this morning at 5:30am. We had Chewbacca in his kennel and he started howling this morning.

We dont know whether it was because he was lonely, needing to go outside or calling his brothers and sisters..LOL. We let him be until about 6:30am and got up to let him outside. It seems he held his pottying until we let him out.

Chewbacca is in that chewing phase and bitting right now. He is always getting in to some kind of trouble LOL...he is reacting to his name a little now and kind of understands the command to sit sometimes.

We think he is a smart dog based on some of the things we have observed him doing but he still has a mind of his own presently.

As most of you have mentioned it is like having a newborn baby. Last time I remember having to get up to take care of a little life this early in the morning was almost 9 years ago with my son.

Each day is producing something new and watching him and our lab play is just so adorable. I think they are still trying to figure out the pecking order LOL.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:48:06 pm by MadGenius »

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2007, 04:59:42 pm »
Congrats on your Newfie pup!  Chewbacca is absolutely adorable!  Keep on posting pics when you get time!  I say when you get time because we all know you will be quite busy!  We have 4 Newfies, two 4.5 yrs. old brother & sisters littermates, one 3 yr. old 1/2 brother,(same Mom, different Dad) and our youngest brat, who just turned one yesterday!  Our oldest 3 are all Landseers and our pup is all black.

Enjoy!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »
AHHH he is soooo cute. But you have to change your subject to New Newfie Owner!

Weel, my user name is stil "Newly Newfed", but I think it's still appropriate since everything about owning a Newf is new to me.   ;D

MadGenius, be prepared for an amazing experience with you little Chewbacca. Who, by the way, is so cute I just can't get over it...  I have owned Siberian Huskies, Saints, an Old English Sheepdog, a Pug, a Border Collie, a Lab and a mutt.  NONE of them have compared to owning a Newf.  And I mean that in a good way.  I now have no desire to own any other breed of dog.

You'll be surprised at how quickly he will grow and soon pass up your Lab in size.  We have a Newf and a Lab also and Sierra passed Magic in height at about 5 months old.  She 7 monhs now, 23 1/2 inches and 70 lbs.  Problem is she is still a baby and isn't aware of her size.  LOL!

When she starts getting her adult hair, be prepared for puppy fuzz to come out in clumps.  For a while it looked like Sierra was going bald on the top of her head!

Have drool towels on hand at all times and be ready to have a very wet happy dog any time he can dash into a pond or lake (or puddle, water dish, under a hose...).

It sounds like you have a good boy who is learning quickly and the night time wake-up calls will eventually stop.  Sierra took about a week before she realized that I'm not going to come get her every time she barked.  Don't forget this is all new for cute little Chewbacca.  He's had a plane ride and he's probably missing his littermates and first family.  But he'll adjust soon enough and be your best friend in the world.

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 12:49:49 am »
He'll grow out of the whining and wailing as long as you don't react to it. It's just like a baby. If they get what they want by acting out, you're in for more whining and wailing.

Rosie sometimes keeps us up too, not with whimpering, but with her impressively LOUD snoring! We can hear her all the way from the bathroom.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline MadGenius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 12:54:39 am »
He'll grow out of the whining and wailing as long as you don't react to it. It's just like a baby. If they get what they want by acting out, you're in for more whining and wailing.

Rosie sometimes keeps us up too, not with whimpering, but with her impressively LOUD snoring! We can hear her all the way from the bathroom.

I dont know if this is related as it is with humans to dogs, but they say that snoring can be related to heart problems. Have you thought to ask your Vet about this?

I know in humans they say that if you have serious issues with snoring it could be an indication of heart problems. I would be curious if those same principles apply to dogs as well.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2007, 09:50:25 pm »
Hmmm...  good question.  Sierra snores every now and again and my cat Oscar (simply referred to as "Fat" most of the time) snores all the time.

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2007, 12:41:09 am »
I haven't heard about the relationship between snoring and heart problems in dogs. I don't believe Rosie's heart has been tested/looked at since she was checked out for heart ailments as a pup. At the time, she was cleared by the vet, at least of cystnuria.
Rosie - Newfoundland