Author Topic: A culmination of events - I need help - long one, sorry  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
A culmination of events - I need help - long one, sorry
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:32:06 pm »
I've tried to write this 5 times.  It's so long so I'm going into the listing stage.

1.  It's hot here (like 81 at 6:30 am hot)
2.  No rain in over 2 months (I have allergy related asthma)
3.  Husband is working 10 + hr. days (out in the heat)no help w/ training right now.
4.  Had Sadie 32 days now.  She's quit responding to call.
5.  Got her a new condo crate - she hates it.
6.  Emmitt will not share anything - Sadie HAS to have      something to chew constantly.
7.  Had my sis and BIL over - they pet sit for us when we go away (leaving for a week over T'giving)  After Sat. night and Sunday morning last .. I don't think they ever will again.
8.  Sadie (not responding to her name) keeps going into the pasture when she's off lead. (I'm climbing cattle gates and barbed wire)
9.  Yesterday I had all 3 out (off lead) on the wood side of the property .. Sadie took off slowly at first but picked up speed and wouldn't come when called.  By the time I'd put up my other two and gotten the golf cart out she was 6/10's of a mile almost to the county road and still wouldn't come when called (normally she chases the cart), I met one of the scarest dogs ever that loved Sadie - hated me.  Finally got my hand on her collar, no lead in the cart, took me 20 min. to drive slow enough, wheezing the whold time, holding on to her collar to bring her home.
10.  Got home, husband was here, I had to get on the nebulizer ASAP, husband was scared and mad, Em and Cop were upset because of me and Em attacked Sadie.  After about 30 min. I calmed down - Sadie went to the condo barking and rocking and rolling to get out .. TOTAL CHAOS
11.  Husband says we just can't do it - I can't NOT do it.

PLEASE give me some suggestions - the new obedence classes don't start until Oct.  This morning I took Sadie out - she rolled my old pup first thing (playing of course) - everytime Sadie comes when called I treat her - she chased the cart fine and is right now lying at my feet .. Perfect Newf.  I'm in tears - I've got to get this "fixed" so I can be sure my sister and bil will baby sit the animals while we're away and my husband will quit fussing over me and the dogs not getting along.
Let me also mention .. I've not been away from the house over 2 hours at a time since I've gotten Sadie and I'm going just a tad bit crazy !  OUCH
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: A culmination of events - I need help - long one, sorry
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:37:11 pm »
Wow! That is quite the situation. I don't know what to say other than it's going to get better. I wish there was something I could say or do to help.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:29:44 pm »
I agree with Julie, long leash (we use horse lunge line) recalls!! Even if she gets 25ft away you can still pull her in, use special treats that she only gets when you call her back. We sometimes cheat and use cheezies, I wouldn't normally give them to your dog but...Don't let her off lead until she definately has it down. Also if she loves to chew give her the chews in the crate only. Bullysticks, real bones, kongs, toys...You can also try feeding her in her crate. I know a month seems like a long time to allow her to acclimate but it really isn't for her, stick with it and you'll so much out of it.

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:09:52 pm »
THANK you so much for responding as quickly as you have .. I'll run to Farm and Tractor and get that "lunge lead" and special treats, along with the book store (I don't know why in the heck I thought I should know how to train a dog into my house starting with a 2 yr old giant breed without background'ing myself - I guess it's just I had to rescue her right away)  The idea of special chews/bones to keep in her crate will also keep the tension down between Emmitt and her, instead of all over the floors and perhaps help her adapt to the new kennel?  All three dogs sleep in our bedroom - do you think I should move Sadie's kennel into my bathroom-she's sleeping in the bedroom/bath doorway anyway.  And when you say keep her onlead - do you mean everytime we go outside or should I give her run time to exercise her properly?  Whew, I still have tears, at least I have something to work on and hope springs eternal !  You just don't know how much I appreciate your help and knowlege and kindness !!  Kleenex all around !  Good Gosh I cannot wait until things go smooth around here and I can be the helpful person / not the helped here.
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:13:06 pm »
 And when you say keep her onlead - do you mean everytime we go outside or should I give her run time to exercise her properly?  

Keep her on-lead until you can trust her off. She won't learn to come back if she isn't consistently trained.

The exercise will help immensely, though. It will keep her energy level down, making her easier to train. Can you exercise her on-lead? Take walks or something?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:39:27 pm »
Have you tried running away from her when she is not coming when called? At our obedience club we practice this kind of recall...Someo ne holds your dog, you show her a treat and run as fast as you can. Then stop and say "come" and the dog will fly your way!
Also, I highly recommend "Really Reliable Recall" featuring Leslie Nelson DVD. It's awesome!
Good luck and keep us posted  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:12:07 am »
It sounds like Sadie is past the honeymoon stage and is testing you and the rules.  Definitely keep her on leash when she is outside.  If she's running from you a puppy runaway off leash won't work.  At least not right now.  Always keep treats on you so you can train at any point.  I will train mine just on "look", sit, down, and stays just for fun throughout the day and sometimes I just give them a treat.  So they never know what's going on.  You've gotten some great advice and I really can't add to much to it.  Good luck and let us know how things go. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:50:26 am »
How old is she? Sorry I haven't been on enough to keep track but if she's younger than three what you're seeing is newfy adolescence.  They forget everything especially their names.  Look back through the other discussion posts and you'll see most of us have gone through it....it's good to realize you're not alone plus you'll get a bunch of laughs. 

Main thing is to keep her on leash until she learns her recall and even then make sure you're in an area with fewer distractions.  If she gets away from you for whatever reason make sure you have her favorite treats or toy to get her to come back. Squeaky toys worked well with Kali for awhile but we eventually almost totally solved it with time and treats. Also something else that'll work is to throw yourself on the ground and lie still (maybe add in sound of distress) and bring up their rescue instinct....it works pretty well with the newfs.  I know that sounds wierd but it works  ;D. Good luck let us know how it goes.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:08:33 am »
If you need to excercise her, with your asthma, you could try putting her onlead, and driving slow with the golfcart. I know several older/handicapped people that do that to excercise their pups.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »
You guys .. I've had the best morning work out with Sadie AND Emmitt !  The weather is only low 80's and we've finally got a bit of humidity in the air so I was able to walk the three of them, only Sadie on the lunge lead.  Even I could get a mile walk in today, and the stops I had to make with the asthma I used to call both Em and Sadie, made them "touch" .. "sit" and then treat them using their names each time .. Em would run up and literally sit touching Sadie without any problems to get his treat and both waited for me to say "go ahead" to move from the sit. (a first)!  Then I brought both Em and Cop in the house and Sadie and I went one on one with the lunge lead and the golf cart for about a mile.   I went slow so she was at a slow trot, when I began to stop for a training session I started with the "watch me" ... then the "sit" - "touch" - "treat".

Can you imagine my grin and gratitude to all of you !!

;D  PS .. I showed my husband your responses last night when he got home .. he was so happy, he said he'd thought all day about how much he wanted Sadie to be with us and regreted his "This won't work" statement.  Ya'll have made one happy family here !!

Now - crating practice
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 04:58:53 pm »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Sounds like things are looking up! Keep at it and you will have the bestest Newf in the world.