Author Topic: Ok - Starting to panic...  (Read 10934 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Ok - Starting to panic...
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:16:15 pm »
OK.  I have been read through the posts here and frankly, my head is spinning and I'm worried now that I am not feeding Sierra correct food.  I feed her Eukanuba Large Breed puppy and currently trying to research and see if there is something better for her out there.  Now I am reading posts saying we should be feeding her adult food?  Should I be or is the Large Breed puppy sufficient? 

I have read that she should not be exercised too streneuously or be fed food that is too high in protein because it could result in her being more susceptible to hip or elbow dysplasia.  Her growth seems to be slowing, it seems like her rapid growth period has already passed.  Did I do wrong by my dog in the feeding department?  I know our friend has been feeding his 9-month old Great Dane adult food from the get go.  Should I have been doing this also? 
I love this dog more than life itself and I am worried now that I have screwed things up for her.  Please give me some advice!

Yes, I know I am being a tad melodramatic and yes, I am panicking.  It's what I do best.  LOL

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
Re: Ok - Starting to panic...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:21:01 pm »
I am firm believer in "GIANT BREED PUPPY" food for at least the first 18 months, but I have a dane(dunno if that makes a diffrence)From what I understand you don't wanna give em lots of puppy food because it can cause them to get too big to quick, but adult food doesn't give enough correct nutrients for correct puppy growth. I am sure this was no help .. sorry I am sure you will get better imput from someone else real soon.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:24:20 pm »
From what I  understand it's the protein content that you want to look at. Too much protein isn't good for the joints and can cause them to grow too fast which also isn't good for the joints. I'm sure someone else will make this a little more understandable .

My Keela's been on Canidae maintenance since she was able to eat solid food.

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:25:45 pm »
I think we need Holly.

Holly?

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:30:51 pm »
HOLLY ??????!!!!!!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:47:46 pm »
The troops are gathering...I feel much better.   :)

Did anyone see Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock's pageant trainer ditches her and she has to get ready for the pageant herself?  She has no idea what to do and the other contestants start doing her hair and make-up for her.  I'm Sandra Bullock and you guys are the other contestants coming to my rescue.

Thank you!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:19:17 pm »
Mine have been adult food since they were weaned too. I've also got them on Canidae All stages and they've grown just fine. It's got 24% protein, protein is the big deal. My biggest concern about your post was Eukanuba honestly. I agree to switch her to something much higher quality as soon as you can. I'm sure you've done no damage and she is still just a pup. This food is rated as a 1 star out of 6 on this site and it says why:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=113&cat=all

This is a review for Canidae, it's given 5 stars:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=528&cat=all

And Innova which is also given 5: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=155&cat=all

Just as a comparison to what you are feeding. Hope that helps!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:40:08 pm »
Wow.  Eukanuba kind of sucks doesn't it?  I'm definitely switching - ASAP.  She's close to needing a new bag of food anyway, so it's perfect timing, I'll have just enough to make the switch.

Thank you so much for all of the information.  I am just paranoid about hip/elbow dysplasia and I will do anything in my power to prevent Sierra from having to deal with that and possibly losing her before I have to.  I was just really worried I was feeding her the wrong stuff and doing damage during her initial growth spurt.

I feel much much better now!!  The best thing I could have done since I got Sierra was come across this site.  You guys are the best!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:21:49 pm »
The troops are gathering...I feel much better.   :)

Did anyone see Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock's pageant trainer ditches her and she has to get ready for the pageant herself?  She has no idea what to do and the other contestants start doing her hair and make-up for her.  I'm Sandra Bullock and you guys are the other contestants coming to my rescue.

Thank you!

~ Stephanie

Hahahahaha, I always love the part where she says something like "I'm hungry and tired and have a gun. Back off"  then falls on her face.

My favorite is when she has the pizza and beer and the other girls are horrified - "It's lite beer and she's gonna throw it up anyway!"  LOL!  I love that movie!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 11:24:40 pm »
Stephanie, it is great that you are thinking of improving your pup's diet! It is better later that never  ;)

As Holly said as long as your pup is lean you should be safe. Large and giant breeds grow up to 3 years. Just keep her away from too much running and weight pulling at least until she turns 2.

I would definitely NOT put her on puppy formula and choose fine quality food. There is a good selection out there  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 01:07:33 am »
Stephanie-
If it makes you feel any better I had a recent panic attack over my puppy's food a couple of days ago when we added wet food to her diet.  I was feeding Iams Puppy Large Breed/Smart Puppy.  We're in the process of switching to Innova.  Holly's posts have been a blessing for the uninitiated puppy moms (UPMs).  Before I was lucky enough to stumble across this forum I was scouring the internet for any information and came up with a jumbled mess.  Don't worry about your puppy, you're a great UPM if you care enough to ask!

Also glad someone else likes Miss Congeniality as much as I did, hubby totally didn't get it ::)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:28:38 am »
Stephanie-
If it makes you feel any better I had a recent panic attack over my puppy's food a couple of days ago when we added wet food to her diet.  I was feeding Iams Puppy Large Breed/Smart Puppy.  We're in the process of switching to Innova.  Holly's posts have been a blessing for the uninitiated puppy moms (UPMs).  Before I was lucky enough to stumble across this forum I was scouring the internet for any information and came up with a jumbled mess.  Don't worry about your puppy, you're a great UPM if you care enough to ask!

Also glad someone else likes Miss Congeniality as much as I did, hubby totally didn't get it ::)

Ha Ha  I love the UPM, I didn't know that there was a term for us newbies on here!  ;D
Well I for one am PROUD to be a BPO UPM!
Oh yeah-Also love Miss Congenaility, the part where she's "Gliding" down the street, gets cut off by a car, and slams the hood and yells at the driver "Hey!  I'm gliding here!"  So graceful, so lady like.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:47 am »
Glad you liked the UPM, I just made it up.  To be fair there should also be UPD for the dads.  I like to think I'm an equal opportunity owner :D
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 01:47:42 am »
That's very true, we wouldn't want to leave anybody out here.  What about UPP Uninitiated Puppy Parent?  Maybe EPP for the Experianced Puppy Parents?   ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:22:56 am »
That's very true, we wouldn't want to leave anybody out here.  What about UPP Uninitiated Puppy Parent?  Maybe EPP for the Experianced Puppy Parents?   ;D

Ooh, I like UPP and EPP much better!