Author Topic: Is Soy Safe?  (Read 9050 times)

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Is Soy Safe?
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:29:34 am »
Okay, I've checked the forum, and can't find an answer.  My son is allergic to peanuts and we'd like to make Cheyenne some homemade treats.  Is it safe to substitute Soy Butter for Peanut Butter? Commercial food and treats are giving me a headache now!  Between the recalls and nutritional needs I can't keep up.  At least if we make our own treats, they're made with love and safe for my son to help make and handle.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Is Soy Safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:17 am »
I don't know about soy, but I'm sure that someone here will post some info for you soon.  If soy won't work, could your son handle other nut butters (like cashew, maybe?) if someone here knows if they are safe for dogs? I just wanted to say that one of my sons has serious food allergies (dairy, wheat & eggs), so I sympathize.  I think that it's great that you're looking for treat recipes that your son can handle safely and are good for your dog, also.  Maybe you could Google dog treat recipes and see if you come up with something safe, also. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:01:16 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately he's also allergic to all tree nuts as well :(.  Come to think of it, I don't know if any other nuts are safe for dogs either.  I only know that peanut butter is a common ingredient in dog treats.  Dairy, wheat and eggs are hard to avoid, that must be very difficult for you and your family.  We joined a food allergy support group in our area to keep up on the latest research and for an occassional shoulder to cry on; they've been a wonderful help.  Especially when trying to deal with the aftermath of an allergy attack.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:33:02 am »
Hmmm, that does make it tough then, doesn't it?  Can you use seed butters like tahini (from seseame seeds) or could you puree sunflower seeds in your food processor?  I think that you'd probably have to add some cooking oil to make it blend smoothly, though.  I'm hoping that someone else here can tell you if soy butter would be ok.  I think that we need Holly;D   I bet that she'll know!

BTW, yes dairy, wheat & eggs are in a lot of things and that makes it tough.  Fortunately, our son's become less sensitive as he's gotten a little older.  I don't know, but maybe b/c we avoided them so strictly when he was really little.  Hang in there!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:32:24 pm »

There is nothing I comb labels for to avoid more than soy -soy is not good for dogs at all and an extremely high allergen.  Dogs cannot assimilate soy as humans can and it has several impacts on a dog's system.

Namely, soy contains goitrogens, chemicals that cause the thyroid gland to enlarge by interfering with thyroid hormone synthesis and therefore lowers thyroid function (in humans and dogs by the way). Dogs, commonly hypothyroid should avoid soy as a result.

As for peanuts and peanut butter - also not good for dogs. My vets have always told me never to feed any derivation of this nut to dogs (I know, I know...it is so commonly used in dog treats) due to the concentration of toxins in peanuts that affect dogs.  Peanuts are at high risk for aflatoxins - a dangerous toxin and mold.  For more information just google "peanuts and toxins".

If you want to feed a nut butter to dogs, then almond butter is the safest and most beneficial choice.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 01:46:55 am »
Aren't almonds on the "do not feed to your dog" list?

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 01:52:59 am »
Aren't almonds on the "do not feed to your dog" list?

YES ALMONDS ARE BAD!!!! (lol i sound dumb saying that) heres a link with a list of nuts and food and common things are are toxic and hazardous and stuff to dogs.

http://www.risingwoods.org/OURFAMILY/THEDOGS/knowntoxicfoodsfordogs.htm
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 04:38:02 am »
Okay, got it... Almonds really bad, soy bad, peanut butter not so good.  Maybe I should start a post asking for treat recipes.  There's gotta be something my son can help make that the dog can eat.  It would be nice if it didn't induce vomiting in the humans who make it.  Anyone up for Oatmeal Doggy cookies with brown gravy and molasses?  Mmm, yummy :P
Let me apologize now to anyone who's stomach just turned, I couldn't resist sharing ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 04:51:59 am »
You can make liver treats or ground beef teats  ;D  I just add eggs and flour (sp????) and bake it. Lily loves it!!!  ;D

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 05:25:50 am »
That sounds pretty simple and enticingly messy for a 4 yr old.  At what tempature and how long do you bake them?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 05:28:26 am »
At about 350-370 for 20 min or until they are dry enough not to make a mess, LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:53:29 am »
Thank you, I'll try it out tomorrow (happen to have some ground beef defrosting) and let you know how she likes it.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 08:56:58 pm »

I don't think you're being argumentative and certainly don't mind the debate :)

While your statement is a fair and valid one for humans, not so for dogs.  Soy is far too often a serious allergen, respiratory cell blocker, and thyroid suppressant in dogs.  Perhaps because hypothyroidism is so common in dogs - far more so than in humans or perhaps for another reason that is more related to their size and metabolism - but they are more affected.

Almonds - or our traditional sweet almond is not harmful in any way to dogs and is in fact the nut of choice if needed.  Bitter almonds, or chinese almonds contain a toxin that is not good for them - but I am unaware of anyone who finds or uses these.  Raw organic almond butter is perfectly safe in small quantities (so as not to induce loose stool).

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar