Author Topic: Stella update  (Read 9334 times)

Offline stella

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Stella update
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:06:44 am »
We haven't had Stella long but she has been through a lot.  She had just recovered from her spay and stomach tack surgery. We had posted on the main board soon after we got her concerning her rear legs being cow hocked. She was diagnosed with bilateral luxating patellas and underwent bilateral patellar trochleoplasty . It's simply that she had no grove to keep the knee cap midline, so it was dislocated off to side.  We had noticed that her rear legs were cow hocked and her rear was crouched down a lot.  Being new Newfy owners we weren't sure so we were concerned about her hips.  We took her to the vet and the hips were ok, but we were given the bad news. She just came home today and she has soft casts on both rear legs. We also found out she as ocd in her one shoulder.  That has been put off until the recovery is over.  The cast should be off this weekend, so we are just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible for now. We are using a sling on her rear hips to help guide her rear when she is walking (hobbling).  She breaks our hearts everytime she looks at us with those big sad eyes...she doesn't know what is going on.  Hopefully,she will have an uneventful recovery and be up and moving again soon! 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Stella update
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:05 am »
Poor Stella.  Sending good vibes for a speedy and uneventful recovery. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline stella

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:44:11 am »
thanks kathryn.  Here are some pics.  She's being a pretty good sport about the whole thing. 

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:55:34 am »
Awwwwwwwwwww!!!  :'(
Poor Baby Girl!  Happy thoughts and good wishes sent from Naja and I for a quick recovery, and a happy afterward.
 :-*  Kisses on Stella's nose
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:13:47 am »
Awwww. Even in the casts she looks so cute. Please give her a big ol' hug from all of us, especially Bear, and our wishes for a speedy recovery.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:11:47 am »
AWWWWWW! What a Sweetheart she is. And how fortunate she is to have you as her family. How fortunate you are to be 'owned' by her. She's beautiful and those eyes tell a story of their own.

Wow! Stories from all the BPO people and ones like this give me hope and faith once more in mankind. Hugs to Stella.  :-* :-* :-* And to you.

Jane & The Crew

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:07:49 am »
Wow, I agree with Jane, pretty Miss Stella is so lucky to have such wonderful puppy parents.  You are doing a great job of taking care of her.  Please give her hugs and kisses from me, too!   :-*  :-*  :-*   I hope that she's feeling great soon!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:14:39 pm »
AWWWWWWWWW! Poor Stella! What a cutie-patootie! I'm sure she'll recover soon and be running around in no time.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:47:43 pm »
Oh Stella! Speedy recovery wishes from the Pyr gang. And hugs and kisses too!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 06:45:22 pm »
Aww, what a pretty little girl!  Sierra and I send our best wishes for a full, speedy recovery. 

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 06:57:29 pm »
Poor girl!!  She deserves lots of special treats while she's on bed rest!!  How lucky she is to have you as her parents!  Good luck in the recovery process, keep taking pics and let us know how it's going!  Daphne sends drools, and Issy sends muzzle nibbles!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline stella

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:59:45 am »
Thanks for all your support.  She had some bleeding from her incisions and we decided that she should go back to the vet and get her dressings changed.  We'll keep ya posted.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 03:10:21 am »
She's such a pretty girl.  I love the different colored vet wraps on her bandages.  After all, one does want a hint of color.  (Sorry about the Birdcage quote but it sounded good in my head) 

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 01:31:18 pm »
aww poor baby,wishing her a full and speedy recovery,how old is she?   :(
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline stella

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 04:33:09 pm »
She is seven months old.  We just got word that she has an infection/fluid in her knees and a temp of 104.9 F.  The antibiotics are just not working.  :-[ The vet is going in today and relieve the fluid and see how bad the infection is.  Thanks for all the support.  It looks like she will stay the weekend at the vet.  We miss her but we know she is in good hands.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:25:50 pm by stella »