Author Topic: Allergies/obsessive licking  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Allergies/obsessive licking
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:12:28 am »
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with allergy-induced obsessive licking?  Once getting the pup on his antihistimine treatment (injection and shampoo), how did you break the guy from his now-developed licking habit?
Thanks!  Teresa
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Nicole

Re: Allergies/obsessive licking
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 09:56:07 pm »
Cabeza does that. We put him on different food, and it seemd to help. He's on Wysong now. The problem seems to be licked. (PUN INTENDED! HEHE!)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 10:00:18 pm »
I think you might want to try watching him closely and everytime he does it say no and reward him when he stops licking himself. Good luck.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 07:17:11 am »
Thanks for the suggestion; that's just what I'm doing.  Of course, every time I give him the "uh-uh" sound, he looks at me as if he's saying "What?!  What's the matter with you??  I'm just minding my own business, licking myself for Pete's sake."  ;-)

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 07:41:38 am »
Zoey grooms obsessively. Or maybe her motherly instincts are just coming to full bloom. For instance Two women with a toddler stopped us at the park this morning. It turns out that they are Hungarian and were admiring my Vizsla pair.   We are chatting and admiring Austin's beautiful color and i realize that we have not been paying much attention to Zoey. What is she doing!!?  Zoey decided that the boy was in need of a grooming and had been cleanning him from his sticky hands to the top of his head!! ;D  Now they want to be on my future puppy list.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 11:04:07 am »
AWWWWW Zoey wants to be a mommy!!! I may put dibs on a puppy!!! We really wanted a female ;D. Not that we don't love Farley. Eventhough he just chewed my eyeglasses.@#$.
Where do you live???LOL

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 11:14:19 am »
I feel your pain.  So far the count is (2) pairs of glasses for Austin (1) for Zoey. Very expensive chew toys!

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 11:16:04 am »
Right back at ya!! Farley actually chewed my dads last week, so he is up to 2 prs. Puck chewed 1 pr when we first got him.  Maybe I am the problem.LOL

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 11:20:38 am »
I had a rotti with skin problems. I use to distract her licking by involving her by playing with  ball or a toy she really liked and told her "NO" licking. It helped alot. Good Luck.

Offline Lorena

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 09:12:03 pm »
Hi Teresa,
I'm suffering more or less the same with Sasha, but she's better now since I stopped her everytime she's licking or scratching. My vet told me to distract her every time with something or by calling her and make her go after me so she forgets...
Her allergies improved since I also changed the shampoo.. I'm using one medicated for allergies and she's much much better... even though I have to be carefull with grass, dust and cleaning products I use when I clean the house.
Hopefully it helps..Good Luck
Lorena
~Lorena~

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 09:33:56 am »
Thankis for the "dis-scratching" suggestions. :-) Sounds like once the itch is relieved, distraction is the key and I'll be working double-time to break him of his licking habit. We always knew he was a fastidious guy, but this is over the top. He's licked a thin bald streak down his foreleg.  But at least we're not out any eyeglasses! ;-)
thanks again!
- T

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 09:44:51 am »
I wonder if filling a kong with treats mixed with peanut butter would work. It is a distraction plus as a bonus to him he still gets to lick--just not himself :) Just watch how much you give him-don't want him to get fat.LOL

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 10:11:28 am »
That's a good suggestion!  We do give our pups peanut-butter filled treats from time to time. In fact, my pups are nuts over the peanuts. ;-)  The downside to that, at least for us, is Oni (the licker) routinely and thoroughly cleans himself after a peanut-butter session. So, peanut butter tends to encourage licking for him. It is a good idea though ... I'll bet I could use some other treat he likes that he doesn't do the "licky-loo" thing afterwards.
Thanks!
- T

Offline beehessman

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 02:12:36 am »
Hi everyone! new here....we have a  Cane Corso Mastiff we adopted in July-He was a rescue....he's an awesome dog the problem I'm having is that he's licked his back leg so much he got a "lick granulosis(sp?)" on it...now that it's almost gone what do I do? He's on science diet sensitive stomach food...he reacted badly when I switched him to a cheaper grade of food the last time...so now what? any suggestions?