Author Topic: Running free through the fields eating Ham sandwiches  (Read 12220 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Running free through the fields eating Ham sandwiches
« on: August 25, 2007, 08:02:08 am »
To anyone that has small children and pets this is a must book 'Dog Heaven' by Cynthia Rylant

Today was the day I let my best friend for 13.5yrs go  :'( I am trying to stay calm and clear headed as I type this through tears and a runny nose.

I'm sure my heart is broken into tiny pieces by my wee children and their tears, I sat my oldest down to explain to her(5yrs)(not thinking that my youngest would understand he's 3.5yrs) he was listening to everything and when it was time to say good bye at the house ~ my son started crying that he didn't want to say good bye and give Hoover a hug because his heart hurt and he'd miss him. My daughter wants to write him a poem and a song.

The rain wouldn't stop as my daughter and I drove Hoover to the HS where Grandma works 45 mins away(I mean it was pouring)plus it was hard to see through my tears. My daughter waited in the van and Grandma came to sit with her while I went in and carried my dear old man down the stairs that he could no longer see or do, as I picked him up he was so frail a little old man ~ the best old man!!

He went very quietly with me petting him softly......

When it was done(this is just wrong to say) but I felt a calm come over me a relief almost ~ that I did the best thing for him.

As I came out of the HS it was still raining, on the drive home my daughter cried softly in the back, the sky was still dark with clouds but in the middle right on our van the sun was shineing so strong and bright I told my daughter, Hoover was sending us a message 'THANK YOU' and every time the sun looks through the clouds on a rainy day Hoover is looking down on us.. that gave her great comfort on the way home(me to)

"WHEN DOGS GO TO HEAVEN,
THEY DON'T NEED WINGS
BECAUSE GOD KNOWS THAT
DOGS LOVE RUNNING BEST.

HE GIVES THEM FIELDS.
FIELDS AND FIELDS
AND FIELDS.

WHEN A DOG FIRST ARRIVES IN HEAVEN,
HE JUST RUNS."
(just alittle part from the book)

RUN FREE MY SWEET OLD MAN  :'( :-*

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Running free through the fields eating Ham sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:32:50 am »
Ohhhh, I'm so, sooo sorry!  :'(  :'(  :'(  I'm writing through tears, too.  I don't think that it's wrong to say that you felt a calm come over you.  The calm was because you knew that he was no longer struggling, but at peace, and that is what all of the best doggy mom's want for their sweet pups.  You did the most loving and unselfish thing that you could do.  Hoover lived his life with your love and he passed quietly with your love.  It doesn't get any better for our pets than that.  I'm just so sorry for you and your children now.  In some ways it's so much harder for us moms, we have to try to answer the little one's questions and comfort them while we are so broken up inside ourselves.  The other side of it though is that we know that they had the joy of loving our best dog friends, too and that they'll carry him in their hearts, too.  You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.  Please let us know what we can do to help.  Romp free and happy Hoover.  You will be very missed!  ((hugs))   :'(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:34:12 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:38:14 am »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I really really am.  I know how hard that must have been for you, and I think you handled it beautifully.  It is a difficult thing for a child to understand, and you did a good thing by both your kids and Hoover.  I know it might not have felt like it at the time, but you really did do the best thing for him.  I know that if I put it in people terms, if I were in constant pain, and there was no chance of me ever getting better, that I would want someone to help ease my pain as you eased his.
He is standing at the bridge wagging his tail and patiently waiting for the day that you will be reunited, thanking you for your love, and your patience, and for finally allowing him to run free of pain.
May he smile down on you and your family, and may your children remember him with as much love as I know you will.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

angelsmama

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:07:54 am »
oh no :( i am sooooooooooooo sorry  :'( :'( :'( he had a long full life though and he couldnt have had a happier life.. rip sweet old man

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:33:07 pm »
Kim,
Hoover was so loved! He wasn't afraid to go on, becuase you made him feel so secure his entire life. He trusted you to do the right things for him, and you did. I'm sorry you're going through this, but you are so right. Hoover is comfortable now, and he loves you for helping him.

lorim2

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:37:21 pm »
Oh Kim..I am so sorry and I know your heart is hurting.  I am sending big hugs and thoughts to you and your family.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:18:03 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss...I knew It was time and I was doing the right thing when Tisha passed, but it doesn't make it any eaiser.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:41:59 pm »
i don't know how i missed this before :'(  it's so heart wrenching to have to do these things.  i know you won't feel "better" soon, but i hope that it's at least easier to handle day to day for you. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 03:05:26 am »
I'm sorry about your loss.  it's hard to loose our pups when they have become such a big part of our lives.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 04:28:03 pm »
Oh Kim - I am so sorry for your loss. As I wipe the tears, my heart breaks for you. Hoover was such a special boy!

Sending lots of hugs to you and your family!

RIP sweet boy.

Anakalia

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 05:00:10 pm »
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry for your loss.  :'(  Big hugs to you and your family.

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 05:52:40 pm »
I am so so sorry  :'(  To have been loved so much by such a wonderful family, Hoover must have been an incredible dog.  My heart breaks for you and my tears won't stop falling.  Big Hug from our family to yours {{{{HUG}}}}.  I'm glad you were able to find peace in giving him comfort.  Sometimes the hardest gift we can give is the final rest.  You were there with him giving him love til the very end, that's something a lot of dogs don't get to experience.  Run free Hoover over the green fields, your family will meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 10:54:25 pm »
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about Hoover. :'( RIP Sweet old man.  :-*

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 02:13:55 am »
Kim im so sorry, great big hugs to you and your little ones. your old man sure had a great home.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 02:41:22 am »
Kim,

I am so sorry about your precious Hoover; I don't know why I didn't see this post before.  It sounds like your family and Hoover were blessed to have each other and you will know that your childrens love of dogs (animals) is in large part because they had such a beautiful relationship with Hoover.

When we had Stoli pts we went to the vet at about 4 in the morning when all was said and done we walked out to the most majestic sunrise = it was so calming and I know Stoli was there with us it is hard to describe that feeling.

Again, I am so sorry to you and your family, of course, you know that Hoover is running with no pains now playing until a very long time from know you meet again.

Randy