Author Topic: Dog LOVES kids... or dog wants to EAT kids...???  (Read 3272 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Dog LOVES kids... or dog wants to EAT kids...???
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:24 am »
ok, so we have a slight situation with peanut.  personally, i think it's funny, though i know aiden (about to be 4) doesn't and i know it can get out of control all too fast.  as of right now, peanut still listens to "that's enough" but i don't know if he's doing this to play or b/c he's just had enough. 

SO, here's the problem.  whenever the kids run around for more than about 30 minutes, peanut either A) decides to play with them or B) decides enough is enough and if i won't do something about it *he* will.  i'm not sure which is it.  he jumps off the couch and chases them, mainly aiden b/c tristan doesn't mind him any.  aiden will get up on the stairs or back on the couch trying to escape him and cries and cries, though he never has any tears.  peanut barks, and "pounces" towards them, but has never touched them or made any move like he meant to hurt them.  he just bounces around making a lot of noise and puts on a big show.  he looks so proud of himself with his head high and his tail wagging furiously, esp. when i tell the kids to "get on the couch" and he keeps them up there for me.  nobody taught him that, mind you.  if the kids get down though, he's my little alarm, he doesn't even need a command he hears me tell them that and he's on duty.  he only weighs about 6 lbs and is full grown now (at least i'd guess, he's a chihuahua and will be 1 in november) and i'm a little concerned if he's going to eventually start biting when he does this, or that the kids will hurt him trying to escape his wrath.  i can't tell if he's playing or trying to start a problem with the kids.  he doesn't seem to be doing it with a hateful attitude though.  any ideas on what to do or what his intentions MIGHT be?  thanks guys :)

modified to add that i think he learned this from my mom's smallest chihuahua, because he does it.  rebel does it being hateful though, and has bitten and left marks on the kids (he REALLY hates kids).  peanut spent the time in between our move staying with my mom, so i'm not sure if this is just a "monkey see monkey do" thing or what...?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:06:27 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Dog LOVES kids... or dog wants to EAT kids...???
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 04:34:43 am »
no input?  that's not like us  :-\
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:40:31 am »
sorry, im lost. he just seems like mommies little helper lol ;D
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:50:06 am »
I agree.  If he's wagging his tail and generally being silly I think he's just playing.  He also responds to "that's enough" so I wouldn't worry about it.  Just don't let him spend anymore time with your moms dog.  Or at least limited time.   :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:01:07 am »
LOL i'm glad you two agree.  hubby was a little upset when i mentioned it to him, but then he wasn't here either so i guess in the same situation i would have been irate.  mom is coming up when i have the baby, and may bring her dogs (i told her she's more than welcome to, it's not like they're trouble and we have hardwood floors so what harm can it do).  hopefully the smallest (rebel) will be in culture shock and not start schooling peanut again lol
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:06:43 am »
Ok, I'll weigh in...  As the mom of 3 rowdy boys I can understand Peanut's irritation with the noise & all, but personally I wouldn't allow him to do this.  I'd be afraid that it will turn nasty one day b/c to me it sounds like Peanut *is* dominating the kids by basically "treeing" them on the sofa and keeping them there.  That would be a red flag for me.  Since any dog (regardless of size) can bite and cause real injury, I just wouldn't risk it.  It would also concern me that the kids are going to learn to be afraid of Peanut and that could lead to them being rough or irritable with him some day.  It just sounds to me like a problem waiting to happen.... 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:12:20 am »
For me it looks like dog tries bossy children around and I would not let it to happen.
When my children were small, i had adopted elderly bitch, pekineese/pom mix.
She did the same and at the beginning without any experience (she was my very first dog that i got when she was already 7 yo) I had an impression that it is just funny. My mistake.
She never bite children, but at the end they were not allowed anything and I decided to relocate dog to my MIL and FIL without any small children - there she was best dog ever and FIL still emembers her with tears.
As I see the current situation, in your pack dog has placed itself between you and children instead of being at the end of the pack hierarchy. Any dog MUST be put in line after any family members, never before them. It must be corrected now otherwise later can occur more problems. You are the one to correct children, not the dog.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

lorim2

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:38:02 pm »
OK...I have two chihuahuas and sounds to me like hes just being a chi!  My two are pretty awful to my husband especially...W hen you have dogs the size of Marley and Laney its so easy to just laugh it off.  I guess when you have small kiddos though it would be best to redirect his energy.  I seriously think he is playing though..right now anyway...My smallest Jewel will start like that and of course my kids are older and they just egg it on with her so she eventually gets mad....She might only weigh 5 lbs but she can hold her own..Just ask Marley...hes deathly afraid of her!  When my hubby wakes me up in the morning if hes not really careful, jewel comes out from under the cover and bites him...Every single morning without fail...my little protector!  haha  Gotta love those chihuahuas!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 06:32:15 pm »
thanks for all the input   :)  this is the whole debate i've been having.  no, i wouldn't tolerate it from axle, BUT, at the same time, axle does "herd" the kids around.  but with him, it's also with his body and it's 99.999999% of the time for their own safety (IE he'll put himself between them and a stranger or another dog, etc).  peanut, on the other hand, is a very "gotta please momma" type of dog, so it *seems* that he's trying to help.  i do see the point about him putting the kids under him, and he's not allowed to do that and accepts it quite easily usually.  i do think it's a chihuahua (what is it, napoleon complex??  am i spelling that right?) type behavior, but my question now is how do i correct it?  i let the kids play fetch with him (he LOVES to play fetch and will let the kids do it with him all day long w/ no problem of returning / dropping the toy for them) and they also do the sit stay etc with him (even tristan can say sit now).  he really does love the kids, and will sit in their laps and snuggle and even sleep with them 110% willingly.  he's very social and not at all a nervous dog, and water scares him so i don't want to do something that will make him the typical shaky chihuahua.  thanks again  :)

modified to add that i was curious if anyone thought it could be related to the fact that i'm due to have the baby any day now?  i know that can cause changes in dog behavior, but i wasn't sure if anyone had experienced their dogs being more "i want it quiet" type of behavior.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:39:14 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 05:10:00 am »
Melissa,I hope you didn't think I was saying that peanut isn't probably a great little dog.And it is wonderful that the kids so play appropriately with him.

Whatever games they play with him they should always be able to use a safe word. Like Stop, enough, or whatever word they would like to make up in order to stop any behaviour.He sounds like a smart smart little one.I don't remember how old you kidos were.but even little ones can learn to play games.

I guess the best way is to have the kids start the game and then end it.If he can learn that you have it made.

Good luck on the new one on the way.Keep us posted.
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 06:44:41 am »
i don't by any means think you meant that peanut is a bad dog.  he's GREAT!  how many 6ish lb dogs do you know who are 100% house trained, no accident EVER, even over night for up to 12 whole hours.  he's an awesome, smart little booger.  maybe a little too smart!  our boys are soon to be 2 and 4, and then we have the baby due any day now.  we're kinda worried about how peanut will react to having to "share" everybody with little maya.  the kids do know "go away" and "bug off" which both of our dogs (sadly) know and understand.  aiden just won't use it when peanut gets super excited.  at first, he squeals b/c he thinks it's fun and then peanut gets more excited and then it ends up making aiden upset and he squeals out of an "oh no" reaction. 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 10:02:14 am »
 ???Yoiu totally have your hands full,but it is never to early to teach  what is allowed and what is not.

Much easier said than done in your situtation,but it is possible.Maybe Aiden needs a reward too for stopping the game before it it out of hand.

Rewards work real well for skin kids too.

Keep us all updated

Tricia and the fur kids