Author Topic: I'm one of the irresponsible people who lose their dogs. Sores on Sky's feet!  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
This all started Friday afternoon. My little sister came home from school, and left the door open. Sammie and Sky both got out. By the time I got down to the end of the driveway, they were gone. I searched for about 45 minutes before I found them. They were running towards our house from the busiest street in the neighborhood. 

I now feel all of you who have lost a pets pain. Those 45 minutes were the worst in my life. Millions of thoughts were running through my mind, the most predominant being “What if I don’t find them?” and “What if they’re hurt?” It was terrifying thinking I could never see my babies again, and what would happen to them if they didn’t come home. I never EVER want to experience that again. It also makes me more inclined to pick up every stray I find, because there could be someone out there missing them. Never again will I pass by a “Missing” sign. I encourage you all to pick up lost pets, and do your best to find their owners.

I looked them both over, and Sammie’s knee was acting up a little afterwards (he’s got very beginning arthritis) and Sky has little sores on his feet. I’m assuming they’re from running on hot pavement (I can bet you all the money in the bank they were having a ball, and running the whole time they were missing, while I was worried sick). They aren’t bad enough to deserve a trip to the vet, but they still need some at-home treatment. I’ve been keeping them clean with Peroxide and Neosporin, and wrapping them, then putting a sock over it. It’s probably the cutest thing you will ever see. He hops and skips and twirls around trying to get it off. I think it’s just an excuse to act like a lunatic. Anyway, what else should I be doing? Am I doing anything completely wrong? Anyone with experience with open sores, please pipe up!

Thanks a bunch!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
i'm so sorry you lost your babies for a bit!  i freak when axle gets lose, though with him he walks the SAME exact way every time.  even crosses the street at the same place.  every time he's ever gotten out.  on thing though, you might be careful how well you cover the feet.  you want them to breath, so they can heal better.  i agree with cleaning and putting ointment on them, though, that's a great thing to do!  it might even do just to make sure it's clean and watch it if getting ointment EVERYwhere is a concern.  i know with axle a sock over his foot would be enough to keep him from messing with his foot and making it worst.  i'm sure others will have more help with that part.  axle reacts not so good when his sores can't breath well enough to heal.  remember that bacteria flourishes in dark, damp, and warm places. 

keep us updated on how things heal up!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 02:49:56 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Thank you for the reply! Sky's feet are doing better today, enought so that I can take off the apparel and he'll leave them alone. The one bad thing about this (for all you flyball players) his box turn was JUST being perfected when this happened, and i'm pretty sure we'll have to take several large steps backwards to get it good again once his feet heal.  :( Oh well.

Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
i use the neosporin+pain for when one of the boys gets a boo boo. also if you go to the vets they have a cream that you can put over their owies for when they are out side that keeps the bugs from being atracted to the smell of blood (mosquitoes, flies, other icks) good preventative of infection. the cream i use is called flys-off
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
I'm so sorry you had to experience that.  There's nothing worse than losing a pet, even for a short period of time.  Luckily you got them both home safely.  You may be a little worse for wear, but it sounds like you're doing everything right.  When Cheyenne was spayed our vet told us to put Neosporin on her incision and it healed beautifully.  I wouldn't worry too much about Sky's Flyball abilities.  He'll probably be very anxious to return to his previous activities as soon as possible.  The amazing thing about dogs is, like kids, they heal quickly.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Yeah, we have this green goup made for horses that sounds similar to your Fly Off. We use that when he goes out.

Sky is one of those dogs that will take ANY excuse to forget what he's learned and run around like a goofball, so i'm a little worried. But, as long as my boy is healthy and enjoying himself, i'm happy. He loves Flyball (and any other sport i've tried him on) so i'm sure he'll pick the swimmers turn backup quickly.

Send Sky all your healing vibes!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
all of the healing vibes being sent Sky's way right now! get them paws feelin better quick buddy!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Icerotti

Thats the worst feeling in the world. Dennis left the back gate open at the last house and Puck and our female rotti at the time got out. Puck came to th front door and sat there wanting in...lol But Katie took off it took me awhile to find her. My heart was in my throat the whole time.
I hope Skys feet heal fast.