Author Topic: Make him stop peeing!  (Read 3030 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Make him stop peeing!
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:39:27 am »
Okay some help here. Yukon was on Deramaxx for his shoulder for 3 days. He has a weeks supply. Shortly after I started him on it, he began to whine to go out to potty all day long! I did read side effects to it, talking about changes in urination and bowels. So, I assumed this was the reason. Then I realized he drinks ALOT, everytime I turn around his bowl is empty, when normally he keeps water in it all day long and I don't need to put much in to keep it that way. Everytime he whined and barked to get out of his crate, sure enough he had to GO and he would do both. Well, to see if it was the med I took him off of it and it's been 2 days since he's had any and he still won't stop drinking and peeing. Could it still be in his system causing that effect? It's driving me crazy! He used to only go out 3 times a day, now it's just all day, though he will sleep through the night. He's out again after being out less than an hour ago.. sometimes he will wake me up at 6 am to go out too, that's something he NEVER does.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:40:48 am by mama2many »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Make him stop peeing!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:59:05 am »
It could take up to a week for the drug to clear out of his system, so it could still be side-effects.  I'd say if it lasts longer then 72 hours to have him checked for a UTI though, just to be certain.
Hope he's feeling better really soon.  ;) 
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:00:41 am »
Hmmm... :-\  I don't know....  I didn't notice that with Sammy or Halley when they were on Deramaxx, but that's not to say that it isn't a side effect.  I just haven't noticed it here.  I agree with Naja's mommy, if you're still noticing it on Monday, I'd call the vet and ask.  Also, since Deramaxx is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti inflammatory) as well as a pain reliever, the vet may have been counting on the anti-inflammatory properties of Deramaxx to bring down Yukon's swelling.  You may want to ask the vet if they think that you should continue it or not.  Just a thought....

An aside?  Cassie is laying under my feet as I type (yep, my sweet girl's favorite spot  :-*) and she is barking at who know's what.  Must be a moth or something.  ::)  ;D  Silly lil girl.  LOL
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:43:21 pm »
I read back over that Deramaxx link you sent me in another post about side effects. I saw that it says that those side efects may mean the dog could be having a problem with the medication so... I'm going to call the vet tomorrow, tell them what he's doing and that I stopped it because of that. See what they want me to do. I can tell you that his limp has GREATLY improved.. unless he's still feeling the med from 2 days ago but I don't think it would be that great an amt to make much of a difference, but who knows. He hasn't been holding his foot up and you can barely see him limp on it. I HOPE that means he is healing and the no play time with Yiska is what's helping.

Even with no play time he seems completely capable of injuring himself on his own though I must say. He impressed me by walking AROUND one of his sisters holes in the yard, running at it at the last second.. I thought for sure it spelled disaster. BUT, he went after one of the cats yesterday, slipped on the floor and flipped clear over on his side, not at all graceful. ::)

Anyway, he was out late last night to pee. He then woke us up at 2 am needing to go out yet again. UGHHHHHHH. So I didn't let him drink after that or none of us would be sleeping. He's been fine since then at least.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 08:08:49 pm »
Sounds like a good thing that you stopped the Deramaxx until you talk to the vet then.   ;)  I've heard such mixed things about the NSAID's for dogs like Deramaxx & Rimidyl.  Some people swear by them for easing their dogs arthritis pains and things, other people have said that the side effects made their dogs very ill, so I just don't know.  I gave Sammy his Deramaxx for about 5 days after the tooth extraction b/c it was a molar and kinda nasty, but I'm always a little unsure about giving it.  My friend gave it to her dog for 2 weeks or so and she developed stomach problems.   :(   On the other hand, it was wonderful for Halley and my Mom & Dad's old dog has been on a related med for 3 yrs now & b/c of it they've been able to hold off on having her pts for arthritis.  So I guess that there are ups & downs to everything, huh?

My personal experience with NSAID's (that's what I'm on now) is that the pain relief works about as long as they say that it will (almost), but for me the anti inflammatory properties continue for a while longer than the pain relief.  So, since the Deramaxx is usually given 1x/daily, maybe Yukon is still feeling some relief from that last dose?

That's funny about dodging the hole, but wiping out over the cat. LOL  ;D  Ouch, poor Yukon, I wonder if a hole is just an expected thing to a pyr but a cat on slippery floors isn't. ;) ;D  Ha, ha
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:31:57 am »
Well, I talked to the vet and someone had to call me back that knew a lot about the medication so...he's never heard of that med causing those side effects. GRRR!!! He didn't tell me to continue it or not, I'm just not going to. He does want me to bring in a urine sample for them to test for a UTI and also test his glucose. I just don't get it, he was FINE before the Deramaxx and now he can't stop peeing, even off of it. Just really weird. If it's a UTI or something (I'm pretty positive Diabetes wouldn't crop up overnight), it would be a real coincidence.

No idea how to get a urine sample, that sounds like fun.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:50:16 am »
My vet once told me to collect a urine specimen in a pie plate.  So I use a cheap one that frozen pie comes in from the grocery store, so I can toss it afterwards.  Anyway, what I've done is to take the dog out on a leash (so they don't run off when you start to collect) in the yard and let them sniff until the find a likely spot.  Then you reach under the unsuspecting dog and stick the pie pan in the urine stream.  The funny thing is the look on the dog's face at the noise when the liquid starts to hit the pan.  LOL   ;D  ;D  Mine have looked at me like what the heck???  Then I just pour it into a clean container with a nice, tight lid for transport.  ;)  ;D  It needs to be pretty fresh usually, so it's best to do this shortly before taking the specimen to the vet. 

BTW, the last time I had to do this I had my oldest son hold the leash while I stuck the pie pan under Daisy.  I thought that he'd be cool about it but my helpful son started to laugh hysterically, gave me the giggles, and I had a heckuva time keeping the pan steady while pouring.  We were such a mature bunch that day!  LOL  ::)  I don't want to guess what this looked like to our neighbors....   ::)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:54:53 am »
My vet once told me to collect a urine specimen in a pie plate.  So I use a cheap one that frozen pie comes in from the grocery store, so I can toss it afterwards.  Anyway, what I've done is to take the dog out on a leash (so they don't run off when you start to collect) in the yard and let them sniff until the find a likely spot.  Then you reach under the unsuspecting dog and stick the pie pan in the urine stream.  The funny thing is the look on the dog's face at the noise when the liquid starts to hit the pan.  LOL   ;D  ;D  Mine have looked at me like what the heck???  Then I just pour it into a clean container with a nice, tight lid for transport.  ;)  ;D  It needs to be pretty fresh usually, so it's best to do this shortly before taking the specimen to the vet. 

BTW, the last time I had to do this I had my oldest son hold the leash while I stuck the pie pan under Daisy.  I thought that he'd be cool about it but my helpful son started to laugh hysterically, gave me the giggles, and I had a heckuva time keeping the pan steady while pouring.  We were such a mature bunch that day!  LOL  ::)  I don't want to guess what this looked like to our neighbors....   ::)  ;D

Hey that's a good idea. The only problem with the leash is, neither of them will potty on a leash. I guess it's going to have to take training for them to do that, you can walk them forever and they don't do anything. Even around the block..they don't pee. BUT, because he has to pee so freakin much these days, he just might.

Haha, that's a funny story. :D

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:36:47 am »
wait, your vet put the dog on deramaxx, but he couldnt tell you anything about the side effects? i dont know if im getting that right, but if i am, i dont mean any disrespect, but that would make me a little uneasy about the vet. ANYWAY, my pup was on deramaxx her her HOD and it didnt help her at all, they even upped the dose... i ended up switching vets because they wouldnt give me anything else, and now shes on rimadyl, which is amazing for her. shes on that and tramadol (thats a very high powered drug for pain relief, my mother in law was actually on it for her brain cancer at one point, and she loved it) and shes doing soooo well on the rimadyl and tramadol. she didnt have any change in urination on the deramaxx, but its a great thing that you noticed (how could you not really if theyre going THAT MUCH lol) and took care of it right away. good job! keep us updated on what the vet says!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 02:46:06 am »
wait, your vet put the dog on deramaxx, but he couldnt tell you anything about the side effects? i dont know if im getting that right, but if i am, i dont mean any disrespect, but that would make me a little uneasy about the vet. ANYWAY, my pup was on deramaxx her her HOD and it didnt help her at all, they even upped the dose... i ended up switching vets because they wouldnt give me anything else, and now shes on rimadyl, which is amazing for her. shes on that and tramadol (thats a very high powered drug for pain relief, my mother in law was actually on it for her brain cancer at one point, and she loved it) and shes doing soooo well on the rimadyl and tramadol. she didnt have any change in urination on the deramaxx, but its a great thing that you noticed (how could you not really if theyre going THAT MUCH lol) and took care of it right away. good job! keep us updated on what the vet says!

Well no, the girl that answered the phone didn't know anything about the Deramaxx side effects so she had to have someone call me back. She told me Prednisone causes what I was describing but didn't know if the Deramaxx did. Anyway, he said anything is possible it's just not something he's heard of. Of course my dog has to be the rarity. :P Here is he is whining to go out yet again, sigh.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 04:06:34 am »
oooooooooooooo h rarity, i know allllllllll about that!! alright, you had me scared :D i thought the vet who told you to put him on it said he didnt know  :o sorry, im a dummy! ::)
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:47:05 am »
Maybe the urinalysis will cast some light on what's going on.  I wonder if maybe Yukon just felt so lousy for a while there that he wasn't drinking enough, so he's developed a UTI.  So maybe not b/c of the Deramaxx, but b/c he wasn't getting up to drink enough.  Just a thought....who knows?  I hope that he feels better soon and that you can sit down and relax.   ;)
Marie

And my pups: