Author Topic: Do dogs get more vocal with age?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Do dogs get more vocal with age?
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:07:13 am »
I am just wondering because Bear is almost 5 and has all of a sudden (in the past 2 weeks) become very vocal. He now greets us daily with 3-4 "woo-woo-woo"s where before it was a wagging tail and happy face. He is also grumbling more when he is bored or wants love. I love it but it seems wierd to come out of the blue and especially since we tried to make to speak on command and he was shy & scared of doing it in the past & even now. Am I the wierd one or is he?  ???
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Do dogs get more vocal with age?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:06:03 am »
Well I don't know about dogs in general, but Keiko has definitely gotten more vocal as the years have gone by.  She's now 9, and for the past 2 or 3 yrs I can now get her to howl on command (sort of.......I have to howl along  ::)).  It is something I have been trying to do for years but never accomplished.  She will also sometimes greet you with a howl now.  Also w/i the last few years she has gotten very vocal when playing with other dogs.......... .but only on our property, at the dog park she's still quiet.

Of course she's also gotten more grumpy in her old age........lol ........but I guess that's to be expected.  ;)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:09:31 am »
well, my doggie isnt old at all... *5 months now*.. but she has gotten more vocal. she will now growl when she wants you to love on her, and she barks if youre not paying attention and she wants you to hold her (and i DOOO mean hold! she wants to be IN your lap with YOUR arms around her!) other than that shes quiet though! oh, unless she has to pee... then she grumbles... ::)
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:08:24 am »
Thanks guys. I'm glad that other dogs got more vocal as they aged and that I'm not "imagining" it or something.  :D I should record his "hmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmm" "wooooooowooooo oowooooo" sometimes accompanied with the paw slap when he really wants your attention or you to continue petting him.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:23:09 pm »
oh i hope they do! I never hear boo out of Max unless someone is outside the house and then he tries to bark big loud tough dog bark, but his voice usualy squeeks and ruins the effect :D! ive seen all the adorable videos on youtube of danes talking! i hope mine do too!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown