Author Topic: Finally! Diagnosis for skin problem  (Read 2721 times)

Offline JakeNAudrei

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Finally! Diagnosis for skin problem
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:47:32 pm »
I have a golden retriver and lab mix. My golden has always on and off had skin problems, primarily allergies and hot spots. About a year ago when I moved my dogs to new location, not long after my golden began with hot spots again and severe itching. My vet just said it was his allergies again and treated the allergies with prednisone and keflex. It helped temporarily. Then it became worse and he was on the max dose of prednisone. I contacted to vet again and they said it was just his allergies and I would have to try to find out what the allergen was. And they did not request any further evaluation. So I did research and thought he might have a systemic yeast infection and tried the nzymes for awhile. Helped some, got rid of the ear infections and no longer had any hot spots. But he continued to scratch some and then he began losing his hair. I assumed it was only the allergies, because thats what I was always told by the vet. So last week I was fed up and decided on a second opinion. Guess what? Sarcoptic mange, not allergies!! My golden and my other lab as well are being treated for by the vet. I am frustrated thinking that it could have been this all along and my trusted vet for many years continued to tell me allergies!! Grrr! Now my golden is hairless but hopefully on the road to recovery!! Does anyone out there have any idea about how long it will take for the hair to return? It will be getting cold soon! And he looks horrible!!  :(

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: Finally! Diagnosis for skin problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:52:59 pm »
Awwww...poor puppers. Buy him a cozy sweater and tell him he looks as handsome as ever! It shouldn't take too long for the hair to grow back, but I don't know for sure. Shame on that vet for not doing a skin scraping a long long time ago!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 07:57:09 pm »
My wild guess would be 6 months or a little sooner. Give him fish oil and vitamin E. It would help to improve the coat  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:00:10 pm »

I second People Whisperer..... wild salmon oil and natural vitamin E (both anti-inflammatory) should help the recovery.  Zinc is also pivotal to hair growth and hair health - ensure there are sufficient levels in the diet - but do not overdose.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline JakeNAudrei

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:07:27 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, he looks pitiful but he has the same golden heart he has always had!!! I will definitely try some Vit-E or fish oil to help things along. Audrei is not as bad, she only has lost some hair on her legs. I am not sure where the source came from but I hope to not run into this problem again. They will both probably be excited to get their treats and bones again. I had read where some of the ingredients of these things could be the cause of the allergies so they have been on a very strict diet. But now I feel so bad!! I am feeding them blue buffalo with the sweet potato and fish due to possible allergy problems. Should I change back to nutro natural or keep them on the bb? The BB is about $10 more per bag and just wondering if it would even matter now  ??