Author Topic: Boarding the Pup for the first time  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
Boarding the Pup for the first time
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:45:56 pm »
Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and did a surprise check of our local pet lodge.  I was very impressed - very clean, everything in it's place, no smells or crying pups.  I met two beautiful harliquins (brother and sister) and a huge golden and a couple of black labs.  The rooms are 4 x 8 (not kennels) with a storm door on each kennel so they can see out and a huge play area with a picket fence and soft turf.  I noticed they had a brag board and the golden had been going there for day care since he was a wee pup. (that impressed me)  There's a grooming room and first aid area in there.  4 separate covered outdoor exercise areas double fenced.  It is right next door to where I get my hair cut and one of the girls that work there has her terrier mix in day care there.  They mandate your vet fax verification of up to date vaccinations (good so far huh?)  So, Sadie goes this morning for her first overnight - I'm packing her diaper bag with her food, toys, drool towels and special rug and kong and treats)- I hope to be back in town by tomorrow afternoon but have her scheduled to stay till Friday just in case.  *crossing fingers* I'm a nervous wreck about this but she'll be exercised three times a day and let out the last time of the day around 8:30 or 9 pm and my hairdresser said she'd check on her before she leaves for home to be sure she's ok.  I'm thinking I'll get her scheduled for a bath while she's there just to be sure she's getting some special petting one on one time.  I'm taking her in about 10 this morning - is there anything else I should check on before I leave her about the facility?
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding the Pup for the first time
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:01:43 pm »
It sounds like a great place.  We are taking a vacation in March and I am already thinking about leaving Phoebe and it makes me nervous I wili worry the whole time we are gone I just know it. Its funny I was just thinking about this yesterday and today there was a post.  We may have my niece stay here for the week with her or we may have to board her which I really dont want to do I worry and feel bad for them being in a strange place and not knowing whats going on. What have been others experiences with leaving pups for a week or more, are they depressed when they come back?
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:09:08 pm »
I know I know, normally my sister and BIL stay here at my house to watch my dogs and OnryHenry, but that was when there was just two and they can be trusted (almost 13 and 7) to stay out of the fields and woods without someone with them.  But Sadie will go on a romp in a heartbeat (training still in progress).  We'll be away for a week in November (hunting season) so I want to be sure Sadie is well taken care of and away from the woods and hunters and climatised (sp) to a safe haven.
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:15 pm »
Are your Spaniels hunters? My brother and Dad have Eng.Springers too they are hunters we had them growing up as well as a Irish Setter both breeds I love but have way too much energy for me.  Pyrs are more my speed!!!
Becky

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:22:36 pm »
*laffin* .. no they're neither one hunters.  Copper only hunts for the softest spot to lay down or hunts for what I drop on the floor while cooking.  Emmitt was a rescue with heartworms so he got so used to being on a lead by my side during treatment and recovery he doesn't get out of my sight when he goes out.  They are beyond spoiled I'm sorry to say.
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:25:13 pm »
Good luck this week let us know how she does.
Becky

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:50:04 pm »
Leaving our fur babies at a kennel for the first time is always unsettling. But it sounds like you've checked on the kennel properly instead of just picking and choosing a random one.

We take Rosie to a place that gives her her own huge kennel, complete with bed, TV, and video cam that you can view footage over the internet. That was a really nice perk to the kennel. The most important thing we wanted for her was frequent play/potty-breaks, which they do about 5 times a day (more than any other kennel we've found so far).
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 05:55:23 pm »
We run a boarding kennel here and it sounds to me like the one you have picked is top notch.  Hope all goes well for you.  It sounds like they spend lots of time with the dogs and that is good.  We also do that, then the dogs don't get so lonely for their owners.  Good luck.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com