Author Topic: My knight in shiny fur  (Read 3629 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
My knight in shiny fur
« on: August 28, 2007, 04:21:58 pm »
is killing me.  Shiner has developed a guarding issue.  I don't think it's resource guarding just a guarding problem and I can't think of a way to correct it.  Sorry but this is going to be long to give you all the details.  About a couple of months ago or so, Michael moved to another city for 3 weeks to house-sit for a friend of his.  He took Cinder with him and Kaila and Shiner stayed with me.  Everything was fine until Michael moved back in.  Here is where the problem starts.  Shiner started barking and growling everytime he heard Michael move around the house.  Michael has to leave for work around 4am and every night Shiner goes off.  He has even started the growling and barking during the evenings if he hears Razor's collar in another room and night before last he heard Michael on the phone in another room and he went off.  I correct him and have gotten him to the point where I can say his name and he'll low growl and grumble but I need ideas on how to stop this.  Mainly because I need a good night's sleep again.  Thanks for all the help.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: My knight in shiny fur
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:05:43 pm »
How old is he???  Issy is starting to do the same thing and she just turned 7mths.  I read somewhere (been doing a lot of reading lately!!) that between 6-12mths (?) dogs become more aware of things that can happen/hurt them so they start the fear/unsure barking growling etc.  I remember when Navarre did it I thought he was getting protective and he was just looking at me for reassurance and the vet said he was going to be a liability.  Anyway, I tried to start leaving Issy out of her crate as she's been doing REALLY well but at night she barks at every noise, the neighbors cats who may walk up on the porch if Stone is in, the house settling, any noise...I feel your pain!!!  So I have put her back in her crate and she's quiet in there, go figure!  If I notice her start to listen to something I just say ok so she knows I'm paying attention.  Can Michael call him before he gets out of bed to let him know that he's up, or is he doing this in the crate?  If he's in the crate do you think covering it would help?  good luck, let us know what works!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:31:52 pm »
Jenn - Kiden protecting you from the ice maker made me laugh.  We've been through the every little noise needs to be barked at.  There for awhile Shiner had to protect the house from the evil tv and radio.  He'll still occassionally growl at the tv if he sees a guy on it that he doesn't like. 

Shiner is coming up on a 1 1/2 years old.  He's not crated except when I'm not home because he can't be trusted.  He sleeps on the bed with Kaila and I at night and he's fine with that.  Michael has tried calling his name and it's not working.  I'm not sure if Shiner is sleeping too hard some nights and not hearing Michael get up until the bedroom door opens or what. 

Well, I guess the good news is that I'm not alone with a crazy misguided knight protecting me.  That at least makes me feel better.     
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:17 am »
He might be sleeping too hard!!  A friend of mine had a Rottie that he would have to make A LOT of noise to if he was walking near him and he was asleep.  This dog would wake up and immediately charge whatever it was he heard before realizing who/what it was!!  Maybe after awhile he'll get back into the routine and everything will be good!!  Now if I can just get Issy to chill out!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:30:14 am »
Is he always in the bedroom with you when he reacts? Most of Phelan's protective behaviours occur when I am sleeping and he is allowed on the bed. He has stood over me when a loud truck rumbled by early one morning and would bark at my bf if he came in the room while I was asleep.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:49:38 am »
i have no idea what to do either!

I think me being pregnant is making the dogs wonky and Kiden now "protects" me from the ice-maker when it cuts on. 

that is realy adorable!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown