Author Topic: Hi, I am new  (Read 14790 times)

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, I am new
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 07:35:48 pm »
Thanks guys.
I love Irish Wolfhounds, There so darn cute,and from what Ive heard sweet, and I love sight hounds.
I also love fluffy dogs, and I really really love Newfies, but I dont know if I could handle the grooming. I dont mind hair all over my clothes and everything, nor drool. But I dont knwo if I could keep up with the grooming. I was ok with grooming my Yorkie cause we kept him short lol.
Our neigbors have a bullmastiff. Ive never met him, but he walked with my mum home one day. She said he was very sweet, walked right beside her, put him self between her and cars, and tried to follow her into the apartment complex. They tie him out side some times, and when ever anybody walkes by he only barks once. I would love to know more about Bull Mastiffs, so feel free to brag.......Eve rybody feel free to brag about your dogs, I learn that way......And I love to hear about dogs lol
~Melissa~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 09:05:37 pm »
Hi Melissa, welcome and good for you for doing your research!  I too think that is wonderful!  Everyone is giving you lots of good info and there are so many wonderful breeds and mixes out there.  One of the many great things about BPO is the variety of breeds represented here.  I lurked on a few breed specific boards before finding BPO and I've loved learning so much about other breeds here.  Now I've developed a little wish list of other breeds that I'd like to add to our little pack someday.   ;)  ;D  Maybe while you are waiting for the right time and doing your research, you could volunteer at a rescue facility or shelter by grooming, walking, socializing, training, etc. the different breeds & mixes.  That would give you a great hands-on experience with the dogs to see who will be right for your family.   :) 

BTW, I'm mom to 3 kids & our 3 dogs, Daisy our Golden/Lab mix, Sammy our Pyr, and Cassie our Pyr/?? mix.  We've also been loved by 2 Pyrs named Cara & Halley and Sally, a sweet Dobie (we were foster failures.... ;D) that are waiting patiently for us now at the bridge.  Welcome!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 08:03:50 am »
Hi :)
Thank you for the idea. I didnt think to volunteer at the shelter. I dont know how often I'll be able to, cause its 45 minutes away. But Im gonna call em and ask about it. I dont know if Ive ever seen any really really big dogs there. (I check em out on pet finder all the time lol)
I cant wait to get outta here. I miss haveing a dog so bad lol. People give me funny looks cause I talk more to there dogs than I do to them when I run into somebody walking a dog. I get people interaction all the time,I hardly ever get K9 interaction lol.
Thanks again for the advice guys. Ok, Ive got a list of breeds Im interested in. Oh and its not in any particuler order lol
Newfoundland
Saint Bernard
Bull Mastiff
Great Pyrenees
Great Dane
Doberman
Mastiff
And I think thats it lol. I probably forgott some. Im very forgettful some times lol
~Melissa~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 11:25:59 am »
Hi :)
Thank you for the idea. I didnt think to volunteer at the shelter. I dont know how often I'll be able to, cause its 45 minutes away. But Im gonna call em and ask about it. I dont know if Ive ever seen any really really big dogs there. (I check em out on pet finder all the time lol)
I cant wait to get outta here. I miss haveing a dog so bad lol. People give me funny looks cause I talk more to there dogs than I do to them when I run into somebody walking a dog. I get people interaction all the time,I hardly ever get K9 interaction lol.
Thanks again for the advice guys. Ok, Ive got a list of breeds Im interested in. Oh and its not in any particuler order lol
Newfoundland
Saint Bernard
Bull Mastiff
Great Pyrenees
Great Dane
Doberman
Mastiff
And I think thats it lol. I probably forgott some. Im very forgettful some times lol
~Melissa~

You're welcome!  Shelters so often need help, it's wonderful that you're going to call and see about volunteering.  I know what you mean, I often remember people by the names of their dogs, too.  I think that it's just something special about all of us "dog people".   ;)  It sounds like you've got a good starting list there, please keep us posted!  ;D 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline jc1231

• Ankle Biter
  • "Dog" days of summer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 06:05:37 pm »
Hi Melissa!

I'm still new to the forum also, but welcome anyway. :)

Duke is our first large breed and the best advice I can give you is training, training, training.

My husband and I have come to find that as Duke and our kids (we have five between us) frequently need reminders about who's the boss and appropriate behaviour.  ;D

Good Luck & God Bless!
When all forward progress seems to be going in reverse, remember Mom spelled backwards is still Mom.

Jennifer
Mom to 5 kids and 1 big dog :)

Lyn

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 08:07:49 pm »
It's awesome to see someone doing their research first to find the best breed to fit their family.

The only experience I have is with Saints.

Their activity level is perfect for me. I'm definitely not an extrememly active person. They are happy with a slow paced walk/hike or a good 20 minute romp in the front yard and they are out cold. :D

My Saints are short haired, so grooming consists of a good brushing once a week, maybe twice. But regardless of how much you brush you still find hair everywhere.

Cons would be drool. Bubba slings drool everywhere. On the ceiling/walls, the TV, in my morning coffee, on my dinner plate. :D The gross factor increases if there is food, lint, grass etc stuck in the drool. I've even been slapped in the face with a flying slinger quite a few times. LOL Not to mention my poor cats walk around sporting 'cow licks', it's worse with my long haired kitty. LOL

Another con would be the hair, I have tumbleweeds on my kitchen floor. Hair stuck on my clothes.. I no longer wear black. I've picked hair out of my mouth, out of my food.. I could go on and on. :D

Bubba and Lola are both so different personality wise. Bubba at 2 and a half is still very puppyish. He's goofy, affectionate, loves to cuddle and wants everyone to kiss his nose, lol. Yet he can be hard-headed, stubborn and pushy at times and it drives me crazy. :D He's too smart for his own good and has learned to open the screen doors (which are now locked at all times) and cupboards. I've had to move all food stuff out of the lower cupboards so he can't help himself since he still opened them even after I put child locks on.

Lola on the other hand is affectionately known as my 'special' girl. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed but I love her anyway. :D  She's very selective with who she likes and who she doesn't. With those she considers her family she's almost smothering with her affection, yet she's shy and reserved with people she doesn't know. She will do anything for food including jump our fence when she saw my son on the other side with an ice cream cone. *shakes head* LOL

I agree with Tina about the vets bills. Bubba is now past the weight for a single dose of the Revolution heartworm/worm/flea combo. So I get 2 boxes for him and Lola is still within weight for a single dose, but next year she will probably need 2 boxes too. Some people also consider my food bill high too. We currently spend $145CAD a month. They go through a large bag of Orijen every 2 weeks.

By the way, Welcome to BPO!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:09:52 pm by Lyn »

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 09:22:41 pm »
Thanks guys.
Drool and hair dosent bother me. Im kinda looking forward to it lol.
Im not an extreamly active person. But I do like to walk about two miles a day, Maybe (Usually) swimming, and then a hour or two of walking down town late at nite, but its not constant walking. I'll walk a little stop, walk a little more,stop lol
Thank again for all the great advice Keep it comeing :)
~Melissa~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 04:52:21 am »
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like you are doing a good job of researching things first.
I have a dane (and a few other things........ .lol) so my vote goes for them. 

And yes, it costs alot more for food and vet bills.  Gunther eats 3 times more than my 55 lb dog.  To get him neutered, my vet was going to charge me $500!  But I went thru a spay/neuter assistance program and it ended up being alot cheaper.

As for exercising, while puppies I was told to minimally exercise them until they were over 1 yr old.  We used to walk until Gunther got tired which really wasn't very far.  Our walks when he was a puppy usually were only a mile or less (which really torked off my husky mix..........l ol)  He still gets tired alot faster than my other 3, but can go a few miles now.

With large breeds, I agree that training and socialization are key.  I took Gunther everywhere when younger (danes tend to be big scaredy cats) and he is still nervous around children and strange objects....... .but has no problems going anywhere new.........we ll, as long as my oldest dog comes with.  ::)

He was a snap to potty train, and trains easily in general.  He is a big goofy momma's boy.  No matter what breed you pick though, be prepared to have some prejudicial people to deal with from time to time.  They think your BP is going to eat their dog/child and how could you own such a thing?  And of course you will be inundated wtih the obvious questions, "how much to they eat/weigh? you must have a big house/yard/car..........where is it's saddle/are you going to ride that thing?"  So get used to hearing those kind of phrases....... .....lol.

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 07:50:25 am »
Stupid people, err I mean prejudice people dont bother me. I just laugh at them and walk away. I should probably try to give them facts and such, but ive found they tend to think they know it all, and dont listen to me anyways  ::)
Whats the stupidest thing someone has ever said to you guys about your Big dogs? I got alot of people telling me how to raise my Yorkie when I had him.
~Melissa~

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 03:09:18 pm »
I've got an 18 week old Great Pyrenees puppy.  And no matter where we go, someone always has to make a comment about her looking like a Polar Bear.  Like "Ohhh, I didn't know you could walk a polar bear"  Or "Awww Look a polar bear"  or something stupid like that.  And yeah I get ppl calling her a horse alot too.  lol
Tell you what though.  She the cutest most snuggly horse or polar bear I've ever known!   ;)

Pyrs are great dogs, they are ridiculously (sp?) smart, and easy to take care of (as long as you enjoy brushing out their coat 2 or 3 times a week).  Easy to train too, it only takes a few sessions of practising commands before she's learned them, we also do hand signals which she's getting pretty good at.  They do however, because they are so darn smart, have a mind of their own, and will try to push your limits just like a child (only bigger and faster to run away).  They have a tendancy to wander so they are never to be trusted off leash unless in a fenced in area.  they do, like all big dogs though eat ALOT; and vet bills are more, I paid twice as much for Najas vaccinations then I did for Moo's (he's our Cairn Terrier).  I don't even want to think about what it's gonna cost to get her spayed, I'll get to that when I come to it I guess  ;).  However, I wouldn't trade any of that in for the world.  I love this breed, and plan to have a few more, as well as some other breeds.  That won't be for a while though, need to own my own house first.  :D
Anyways, I've rambled on for just about long enough now.  So Welcome to BPO and good for you for doing all this leg work before you find your perfect BP.  Knowing exactly what to look forward to, and knowing what dog will suit you best will pay off big time!  Can't wait to see lots of pictures.   ;) ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 07:19:01 pm »
There is a discussion about what stupid things have been said about your dog...perhaps one of the Mods can link it as I'm not sure what it was titled. Seriously I didn't know what ignorance was until I got Phelan-people don't want to be educated, they want to be right!

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 08:41:40 pm »
We have a really great vet. Even on routine things she lets you make payments. There have been a couple times when our rattie girls were sick that she just gave us the medicine. And Ive talked to her and the vet techs down there and they really seem to know what there talking about (Ive heard horror stories about some vets)
Yeah, if somebody could linnk me to that discusion that would be great :) Thanks :)
Thank again for all the advice guys :)
~Melissa~

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 11:11:37 pm »
Like I said, I have never owned a large breed before, what are some things you do diffrent with a large breed as oposed to a small one? I know there are diffrent feeding requerments, exersize requerments, What are some pros and cons of a huge breed (besides the yard leavings lol)
Hi Melissa,
You can get a lot of great information from the boards here.  There is a great post about food here:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,9742.0.html

and, a benefit of feeding good food is the yard leavings are not as plentiful!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 03:29:44 am »
Thanks. I will defently check out that thread :)
Thanks again
~Melissa~

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 10:43:14 am »
Welcone Melissa,and thank you for doing your home work 1st
I really can't add anything,you have been getting great advise.
As you can see we have big to little.althoug h our big isn't as big as most on this board.

Magic is a Bouvier des Flanders,even though he looks like a Giant Schanuzer.He is actually small for a Buv most are 90 to 110 lbs,He only weighs about 85-90

Falkor is a Collie (rough) a white collie with a tricolored head.

Emma is the little one a mix of Rotti (Mom) Peke (Dad)

A good breeder and socializing,plus training no matter what breed .......

Definetly try to hit some dog shows and get up close and personal.

The more you know the better so keep doing what you are doing.And the right dog will find you no matter what the breed.

Hope you stay around till you find him.

Again welcome.
Tricia and the fur kids