Author Topic: New Vet  (Read 5049 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
New Vet
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:15:55 pm »
Okay, so I've finally taken the kids to a new vet, she's a little farther away, but well worth the drive, only now I have a few questions about things she said to me for you guys. ???
First of all, she said that the Canadai All Stages that I'm feeding both my little dog and my giant puppy is bad!  She says that you could give a tin of motor oil and a dirty ole' leather boot a good nutrition rating if you worked it right.  She also said that Naja is growing too quickly, she's 6 months old as of Oct 1 (Happy b-day Naja!) and she's 52 lbs.  She seems to think that I should switch Naja back to puppy food, but wouldn't doing that increase the crude protien and promote more rapid growth????  Also she said that Naja has some clicking in her left rear knee that worries her (Naja was running to come inside about 2 weeks ago slid going up the stairs and hit her leg on a wooden post, she limped for a bit, but got over it really quickly, so I didn't think of it to be cause for concern).  So my poor girl is to be on leash only for excersize, and no more running around chasing farm cats  :'(.  Poor baby.  Oh yeah I almost forgot the most important one.  The vet wants to spay Naja as soon as possible.  Now I heard somewhere that spaying a large/ giant breed before a certain time can cause more damage then good.  What do you guys think is a good time to get your girls spayed??

Oh yeah, BTW other then all that stuff she's a perfectly happy, normal and healthy 6 month old Pyr Puppy, who is developing beautifully!  ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New Vet
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:35:07 pm »
52 lbs for 6 months is perfect!!! There are pups who reach 60-70 at this age. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I think Lily was 55 lbs at 6 months.

Puppy food...my old vet had recommended to feed Lily with it her first year. I said no,no,no, thank you, no!

The most important is question is  "what food is good per your vet's opinion? " Did she recommend anything?

I wouldn't spay her until 8-12 months. Lily's breeder doesn't recommend spaying young pups due to orthopedic problems dogs develop by growing too fast after the operation.

Happy 6 months B-Day Naja!  :-*
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:42:33 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:40:15 pm »
52 lbs for 6 months is perfect!!! There are pups who reach 60-70 at this age. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I think Lily was 55 lbs at 6 months.

Puppy food...my old vet had recommended to feed Lily with it her first year. I said no,no,no, thank you, no!

The most important is question is  "what food is good per your vet's opinion? " Did she recommend anything?

I wouldn't spay her until 8-12 months. Lily's breeder doesn't recommend spaying young pups due to orthopedic problems dogs develop by growing too fast after the operation.

Happy 6 months B-Day Naja!  :-*
THANK YOU!!!   ;D
And you see, this is why I came here instead of going right with what the vet said.  Although I respect her and trust her with my dogs health, most vets don't know that much about large and giant breed dogs.  I had also heard that spaying too young causes orthopedic problems, and she said she had never heard that.  I will definately wait till she's 12 months old, like I was originally planning to do. :D  As for what puppy food she suggested, she didn't suggest any, she just said puppy food, and again, I was like....Ummmmm m no.  If I were going to switch her, which I'm not planning on doing, cause I just switched to the Canadai, I would be going to Eagle Pack.  But again, the all stages is good, she's healthy and she likes the taste so we're staying. ;)  Thanks again!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:54:42 pm »
That doesn't make any sence...If you call Canidae garbage food then you have to name a good one! It's like saying this bread is bad and not recommending where to buy a good one  ???
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 04:15:19 pm »
her weight is perfect. And from what i have been told the food yuo're feeding your dogs is also good. I woudln't change the food at all. You don't want rapid growth.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:45:56 pm »
If the food is working for you, stay with it, you don't want to change up Naja's digestive system too much either.  Like you said a lot of vets aren't too familiar with some breeds or with some specialty for that matter.  It's good that you like the new vet and it sounds like Naja is doing just fine!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:48:21 pm »
I just realized that we haven't seen pictures of 6 months old Naja all grown  ;D Pleeeease could you post some?

Mary W. Crane

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:36:48 am »
Living in Guelph, home of the Ontario Veterinary College will teach you many things.
1) Just because you are smart enough to become a Vet doesn't mean you started off with any Animal experience.
2) You will try to sell me Medical or Hills because your teacher told you to....he also developed Medical :o
3) You may know nothing about Animal behaviour and be a 4th year Veterinary Student who picks your unsocialized daschund with no obedience school (you just didn't like it) off the ground because the scary Bullmastiff (who's breed is not readily recognized) is approaching.
4) Common sense isn't common...While holding said Daschund you speak of wanting to get an OEM and a Great Dane and breed them because you want a REALLY big dog...spay and neuter your pet??
5) Dogs can't eat chocolate??
Now if you find the Vet who loves and understands animals and that's why they became a vet you are in the clear. My Vet is fantastic!! She understands animal behaviour and behaviours of different breeds, she tells me honestly that Bordatella is a waste of time but if I need to kennel Phelan that it is required and I can be squeezed in 3 days before said visit to get it. She gave me her honest assessment of the Lepto vaccine. She gave me lots of good advice when I took Phelan for his first visit and I left with many good articles to read as a first time dog owner. Sometimes you've got to shop around. This my 4th Vet since moving to Guelph and I've found a keeper. Call your local humane society and find out which vet they use, it's usually a good sign.

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:05 am »
My vet too recommended spaying at 6mos what if she goes in heat before she is spayed I really don't want to deal with that but I do want to do what is best. I have read that their first heat is around 8mos or so. I have Phoebe on Canidae too and my vet was not familar with the brand.  I will stick with it though I have been very happy with it.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 10:42:27 am »
My vet too recommended spaying at 6mos what if she goes in heat before she is spayed I really don't want to deal with that but I do want to do what is best. I have read that their first heat is around 8mos or so. I have Phoebe on Canidae too and my vet was not familar with the brand.  I will stick with it though I have been very happy with it.

It is very unusual for pyrs for go in heat at 8 months, very
Lily went in heat at 14. I know others who got to it at 17.
At 6 months puppies are still growing very fast and it is a really bad idea to mess up their hormonal system.
I think that spaying at 10-12 months is ideal for giant breeds.
Mary W. Crane

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 10:51:21 am »
Thanks I will push it out then.  I have another question is it normal for a Pyr to lose her puppy coat at 4mos.  Phoebe is really starting to shed I use a undercoat rake on her daily which really helps any other suggestions she will go to the groomer for a bath and brush out on wed.
It is very unusual for pyrs for go in heat at 8 months, very
Lily went in heat at 14. I know others who got to it at 17.
At 6 months puppies are still growing very fast and it is a really bad idea to mess up their hormonal system.
I think that spaying at 10-12 months is ideal for giant breeds.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:55:59 am »
Pyrs start changing coats around 4 months, that is when you will see a strap of real hair on their back. They shed a lot until they are done which usually takes 3-4 months.
I used a rake and a plain metal comb. I like that because it massages their skin and helps to improve coat condition.
Mary W. Crane

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 12:11:19 pm »
Pyrs start changing coats around 4 months, that is when you will see a strap of real hair on their back. They shed a lot until they are done which usually takes 3-4 months.
I used a rake and a plain metal comb. I like that because it massages their skin and helps to improve coat condition.

I was wondering why Miles started shedding like crazy all of a sudden! It was like overnight...th e next day I kept finding hair all over the floor! He'll be 4 months old on Wednesday. He's growing up so fast ;D

And Naja is growing up so quickly too! I would definitely say her weight is perfect, and it's kind of disappointing we didn't find out what your vet's idea of quality food would be. It would be interesting to find out!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees