Author Topic: I became a new Pyr Mom last night...  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Leaf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • That's My Bunny
I became a new Pyr Mom last night...
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:33:41 pm »
I haven't had a chance to name him, or do anything other than give him a bath and get him settled in a little bit.

Last night on my way home from the river I stopped at the gas station by my house and one of the girls there said she had something to show me.

Back in their dumpster area were 2 puppies, both alike. I asked where they came from and she said noone knew, but they had been there or about an hour and a half. She said there had been 3 but she was able to get a customer to take one.

She said her husband was coming up to see if he'd let her keep them. I stuck around for a while. He liked one but refused to take two.

By default, I ended up bringing this guy home. He was filthy and flea infested. I bathed him twice and he could still use another good scrubbing.

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I became a new Pyr Mom last night...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:07:30 pm »
WOW!! good for you do you know who dumped them he is so cute!!  Are you keeping him?  You will fall in love with the breed  if you arent already they are so sweet.  Do you know how old he is he looks like he can't be more than 6wks. Keep us updated.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Leaf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • That's My Bunny
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 05:00:30 pm »
We don't have any idea who dumped them, it's a pretty high traffic area there. Unfortunantly it's not an uncommon action people take, either.

I don't know what I'll do with him, exactly. I had sworn off having any more dogs and then this happened.

Go figure!

Here's a picture of his mouth. It doesn't really seem to be an overbite as you may think at once, but if you'd see him in person, his bottom jaw seems to be too small overall.

I wonder if thats why he was left behind.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 05:09:40 pm »
Awe..porr little guy. I bet they were dumped because they weren't "perfect" did you notice any problem with the other pup?
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
Ah poor pup. It'a horrible that people can actually just throw these pups away. Just like garbage. It makes me so made. But thank god you came along.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 11:59:43 pm »
Ohhhhhhh, those poor babies!  I just can't imagine how anyone could dump puppies like that, it's just beyond me!  Thank you for taking the little guy and I'm so glad that one of the others found a home.  Do you know what is going to happen to the third?  I'm sure that Pyr Rescue could help.  Let me know if you need contact info and I'll be happy to help you. 

Regarding the little guy's jaw.  I believe that is called an overshot jaw (overshot b/c the upper jaw extends past the lower jaw) and it is a breed fault, so that may be why he was dumped (beyond the fact that the person that dumped him is sub-human, but I better not go there).  If you contact Pyr Rescue in your area, they may know who is breeding dogs with this fault, so they may be able to help make a case against this person for animal abuse.  I'd love to see their breeding stock spayed/neutered at the very least, best case I'd love to see the dogs re-homed to someone that loves and appreciates them beyond money makers!!!  Your vet (or maybe Pyr Rescue) will be able to tell you if any special care will be required for his jaw as he grows. 

Congratulation s on your new baby, I know that he will be a wonderful addition to your family!  I can't wait to see more pics as he grows.  Have you picked out a name for him yet?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:49:00 am »
Jessica,

This is my second attempt to post so I hope it's not a duplicate.

I sent you a personal email as well as a response on Pyrnet. (Just so you don't think it's some kind of spam.)

The Rescue Contact in Missouri is Jo Stubbs. Her email is furgusdog@yahoo.org

The phone number is 314-739-2562.

I am with NorthStar Great Pyr Club in Minnesota. But we help people out of our area as well. Please do not hesitate to contact any or all of us. God Bless you for your kindness.

Jane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 01:49:29 am »
Welcome!!! You pup is super cute  :-* :-* :-*
You could name him Diesel  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 03:48:03 am »
Oh! He is such a beautiful little boy! My pyr is 3 months old and it seems like ages since he was that little! If you decide to keep him, you won't regret it.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 04:31:50 pm »
Overshot jaw or not, he's still a cutie. What a great addition to your family.
Rosie - Newfoundland

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 05:26:46 pm »
Awwww, what a sweet little guy.  I wonder too, if they dumped him for tha reason, how HORRIBLE!! He will make a wonderful companion despite his little (one day BIG) mouth. ;) I'd be shocked to ever stumble upon some Pyr puppies like that, that's insane. I'm glad you took him in and are caring for him. :)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 05:26:30 pm »
Here's a picture of his mouth. It doesn't really seem to be an overbite as you may think at once, but if you'd see him in person, his bottom jaw seems to be too small overall.
[/quote]

From what I've read usually the only problem with an overshot jaw is that when the permanent bottom teeth grow in they can poke into the soft tissue of the upper jaw and cause problems.  If that happens, they can just pull the tooth or teeth that are rubbing and the dog does just fine without them.  It doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Good luck with your new baby - he's adorable.  He needs a name!!!  How about Buck (as in buck teeth)!   ;)
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 09:19:15 pm »
I just wanted to drop in and say that your new baby is absolutely precious! What a handsome fella!

~ Mary
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 11:40:26 am »
any updates on this pup??
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.