Author Topic: The growth of a Pyrenees puppy  (Read 20775 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
The growth of a Pyrenees puppy
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:11:43 am »
Just had a few questions about growth.  First when should I expect Naja to start loosing her baby teeth, and having her grown up teeth grow in?  She's got an awfully long snout and her little baby teeth are getting pretty few and far between if ya know what I mean.  lol.  Also, when do you think I can expect her fur to fill in a bit, like her mane and tail?  Every picture I've seen of grown up Pyr's they have these beautifull long manes, and tails that could sweep the floor.  I'm getting jealous of Yukon and Yiska!  lol
Also, I've gone a bought a GIANT bag of Canadaie All Stages, but I forgot to make sure it was Large Breed before I left the store, and lo and behold when I emptied it into her food holder thingy it didn't say large breed anywhere on the bag.  Hmph!  Should I go back and get another bag? or is this one okay?  It's like 40 lbs of food, so I'd hate to waste it, but I definately can't take it back.  lol
Okay!!!  Thanks
oh PS, more pictures of Naja to come soon.  Must figure out how to get them from my cell phone to the computer!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: The growth of a Pyrenees puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:41:57 pm »
That beautiful mane you talk about doesn't fully come in for a long time and not nearly so much on the females The males get a glorious (and PIA) mane.  I'm not sure how old she is but they first start getting their adult hair down their back as puppies.  They have a big pouf of hair on their head which really looks silly (we call it the big bird look) until they are a year or more. Pretty much by the time they are 12-18 months you can see what their adult coat would look like and it seems to become more glorious and profuse each year.  It seems the females also have a big blow of their coat sometime after their first year and before they are 2 in which they positively get naked and then the true adult coat comes in after.

I wouldn't take the food back- it is just important that your puppy is not overfed or overweight - one bag of food won't do it

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:54:26 pm »
I feed Canidae also and I don't believe they have a large breed product. I too feed the All Life Stages to my pup she is 10wks.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »
So would you say I should continue feeding her what I do for the LB Puppy about 3-4 cups a day? (it's what the bag suggests.
Oh yeah, she's 17 weeks and 2 days old!  ;D  And she's cute as a button!  and a PIA.  I left her out of her crate last night cause she looked so sad and lonely in there (I know I'm a sucker for a pretty face ::)), and she pooped in my closet!!  Little stinker,  I even had her out last night before bed, she pooped then too.  Oh well.  Guess that'll learn me.

I love her to pieces though, she get's smarter and more independant every day, she's only 4 months old and already has a mind of her own.  I could go on for days, but I'll stop now.  he he he  ;D

Thanks for the advice on her coat, I can't wait till she's all grown up and has all that long beautiful hair.  I still love every day of puppy hood too though.  Ha ha one big walking contradiction I am eh?   ;D

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:05:37 pm »
Well that sounds right they go by weight and Phoebe is about 20ish lbs and she get 1 1/2cups/day split up 3times/day I will increase her to 1 3/4 probably today I need to check her weight again that should be fun. ??? How much does Naja weigh? Phoebe is in her crate next to our bed and she is certainly busy at night she wakes every 3hrs or so and plays my husband threatens to put her downstairs >:( (that will never happen)
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:10:15 pm »
Well that sounds right they go by weight and Phoebe is about 20ish lbs and she get 1 1/2cups/day split up 3times/day I will increase her to 1 3/4 probably today I need to check her weight again that should be fun. ??? How much does Naja weigh? Phoebe is in her crate next to our bed and she is certainly busy at night she wakes every 3hrs or so and plays my husband threatens to put her downstairs >:( (that will never happen)

When I had her to the vet I guess that was wow like a month ago :o, it doesn't feel like that long ago. lol  Anyways ;D, she was 28.4 lbs, so I'm guessing she's got to be between 30-35 ish now.  I'm told that when she's about a year old to cut her down to adult portions (Half of what she gets now) so she doesn't get fat.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 03:42:17 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the amount you feed. Pyr puppies almost never over eat. I free fed Lily since the day I brought ger home and she is stayes lean. Even when she was on 100% raw she would leave her favorite meats when she is full. Also, the benefit of free feeding is that when puppies have their growth sperks they eat more...that way they can help themselfs  ;)

Talking about adult coats...Lily had a glorious coat when she was 9 months old. Then at 11 months she went bold!!! I swear, some people even thought she is Golden Retreiver but mostly Kuvasz  ;D Now, at 14 months, she is finally getting her coat back! I am soooo tired of vacuuming  >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 05:31:24 pm »
I just remember starting them out slowly as pups cause it took awhile fo them to really eat much of anything and then they started to increase their amt- eating it all very fast and wanting more..so I would up it. The most they've ever eaten in a day is 4 cups of food, split between 2 feedings..Yuko n was up to about almost 5 at one poiint, but not Yiska..she used to be the lighter eater. Then they slacked off, then on..it's back and forth with them. We now give them each 2 cups at breakfast and they may or may not touch it, and what they don't eat, they eat for dinner- so all in all they *maybe* eat 2 cups a day now! I tell ya what though, that 40 lbs is sure lasting us this time  haha. Yiska started chowing down and Yukon slacked off, but with his injury it's hard to tell what's causing it. I know he dropped 10 lbs and it seems he is trying to put it back on.

The food you got is the right kind, that's what mine eat. They don't make a large breed food..the protein is just fine in the All Stages for her.

What else, OH..yeah their grown up teeth just came in overnight, it was really weird. One day I noticed their gums were bleeding and how many teeth they DIDN'T have and next time I looked, they were all filled in! They just turned 8 mos and have had all their big teeth for awhile. Their coats are definitely changing but of course, nowhere near what their adult coats will be- and I'm thankful lol..enjoy her puppy fur, it's much harder to deal with their adult fur now! I can only imagine how much harder it will be. Yiska has gotten some of her mane, and it's hard to brush that. Yukon's is really starting to come in and no matter how much I brush it, it feels like I didn't bruh it at all. Someone already mentioned, the females won't get the very thick manes and coats. Yiska's coat is totally different than Yukon's, it's like flatter and thinner and -easier! lol. Yukon is a big fluffy polar bear, you can search for miles before finding skin haaaaaa.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 05:40:49 pm »
Merri and Annie both eat 4 cups a day. Tripper was eating almost 6 cups but is now not eating as much. I guess he isn't in a growth spurt right now, so I'm free feeding him right now. His baby teeth are starting to drop and the big ones are almost in. He turned 5 months on the 16th ao f August. He weighs close to 60lbs right now. I thought he was small. But I'm guessing he isn't. He isn't overweight either.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 05:44:58 pm »
Merri and Annie both eat 4 cups a day. Tripper was eating almost 6 cups but is now not eating as much. I guess he isn't in a growth spurt right now, so I'm free feeding him right now. His baby teeth are starting to drop and the big ones are almost in. He turned 5 months on the 16th ao f August. He weighs close to 60lbs right now. I thought he was small. But I'm guessing he isn't. He isn't overweight either.
60lb for 5 months old is pretty good! He is definitely not small  :)
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 05:46:37 pm »
Yeah, blowing coat is fun :) Luckly it's only twice a year. :) We didn't take Dixie to a majors show in Atlanta because she's blown her coat..:( She stood to finish!
Twice??? Did you say twice??? Oh, noooo! I was hoping it is only ones before the summer >:(
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 05:49:38 pm »
Merri blows her coat twice a year. Annie blows all the time. She is fixed and I was told that fixed females will blow all the time and she does. I never get a break from the broom or vacumm.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 05:53:49 pm »
Merri blows her coat twice a year. Annie blows all the time. She is fixed and I was told that fixed females will blow all the time and she does. I never get a break from the broom or vacumm.
So when is it? Spring and fall? Spring and Summer?
I had collies and a newf before and they always shed in the spring only  ;D
Mary W. Crane

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 05:54:02 pm »
I love it!!!  I love hearing about all the Pyr Pups (and other pups of course!) that have grown up on BPO!  Hearing about what I have to look forward to!  I'm sad that Naja won't get the polar bear coat, but I guess that just means when I go back to BC and buy a house, I'll just have to get a male Pyrenees!  ;D
After all Naja needs a buddy!   ;) And as if I wasn't before I got Naja, but now I'm completely head over heels for this breed.
So I'm less anxious now that I know her teeth are normal and that any day now, I'm gonna start seeing more teeth in her head (It's so cute when she gives me that big toothy grin, her teeth are so far apart she almost looks like a doggie Jack-O-Lantern).  I am beginning to see some growth as of last night.  But now I'm wondering about the food. cause it's as though she's ALWAYS hungry.  You'd think I was starving her the way she wolfs down her food at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I just don't think I trust her enough to not eat everything in sight if I were to try free feeding her.  Hmmmmm... ???
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:55:22 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 06:02:58 pm »

So when is it? Spring and fall? Spring and Summer?
I had collies and a newf before and they always shed in the spring only  ;D

Annie all year long! and Merri blows early spring just before show season and september again jsut before the shows. So everyone point that girl has, she got out of coat!
She always looked bald going into the ring. Also I think it's following her heats. She is season righ tnow so I'm betting she's going to blow right after just in time for our shows here.