Author Topic: The growth of a Pyrenees puppy  (Read 20774 times)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: The growth of a Pyrenees puppy
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 08:37:26 am »
Wow, that's a well groomed dog. My dogs have never gotten that fluffy lol. You need to come groom mine too. ;D I'd love to see them professionally done- maybe some day.
I have heard that regular grooming improves blood circulation and makes hair grow much faster  ;)

For as many fluffy doggies I had in my life I should have open a grooming place myself  ;D

The hair is exactly one of the reasons  I enjoy the  breed.  I can't explain why, but I love brushing out that full thick coat, twice to three times a week. It's one of the single most relaxing things to do!

In the  meantime, Cloud ends up looking quite dapper.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2007, 05:06:54 pm »
But now I'm wondering about the food. cause it's as though she's ALWAYS hungry.  You'd think I was starving her the way she wolfs down her food at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I just don't think I trust her enough to not eat everything in sight if I were to try free feeding her.  Hmmmmm... ???

I feed Miles Canidae too.

Last time he was at the vet he only weighed 11 pounds (that was a couple weeks ago at 9 weeks).But since then he has been treated for the bulk of his problem (hookworms). So I'm hoping he starts gaining soon! He's so skinny!

And ALWAYS hungry. I feed him at least 2 cups a day now (the recommended for his weight on Canidae is like 1 1/4 cups)

I don't really trust him with free feeding either. He'd probably eat the entire bowl of food in one sitting! But I don't know how much to give him.....Especi ally since I'm trying to help him gain weight. haha

How much do you feed your girl in comparison to her weight?

Look how skinny his leg is with no hair!!! :o

*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 05:17:03 pm »
But now I'm wondering about the food. cause it's as though she's ALWAYS hungry.  You'd think I was starving her the way she wolfs down her food at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I just don't think I trust her enough to not eat everything in sight if I were to try free feeding her.  Hmmmmm... ???

I feed Miles Canidae too.

Last time he was at the vet he only weighed 11 pounds (that was a couple weeks ago at 9 weeks).But since then he has been treated for the bulk of his problem (hookworms). So I'm hoping he starts gaining soon! He's so skinny!

And ALWAYS hungry. I feed him at least 2 cups a day now (the recommended for his weight on Canidae is like 1 1/4 cups)

I don't really trust him with free feeding either. He'd probably eat the entire bowl of food in one sitting! But I don't know how much to give him.....Especi ally since I'm trying to help him gain weight. haha

How much do you feed your girl in comparison to her weight?

Look how skinny his leg is with no hair!!! :o

Poor Baby Mile!!!

Okay, well I feed Naja about 4 - 5 cups of food a day.  This has stopped her from wolfing the food down like vacuum, but she still eats everything in front of her.  She's putting on more weight every day, but I still have the food mixed with her old stuff (Nutra Natural Choice LB Puppy).  It's at a half and half mix now but in the morning I give her 1 cup of the mix and 1 cup all Canadaie.  Lunch and Dinner time she gets the mix about 1 1/2 cups of it.  She must be at at least 35 lbs now.  It's getting hard for me to pick her up, and when she jumps up her front paws reach almost to my chest!  I hope that Miles is able to pack the pounds back on quickly.  How are his evergy levels?  Is he back to his old self?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 05:23:41 pm »
Ahh. ok ok. So Naja eats a decent amount. Do you have any recent pics of her!? I'd love to seee!!!

I think I'm going to start giving Miles more when he "asks" for it. He just goes so crazy over mealtime, and always wants more. I think I'll gradually add more to his diet. Can't hurt him any right? I mean, if he was overweight that'd be one thing, but he's definitely not!

And he's doing much better. Being the crazy ol' pup he once was. I think he's even more hyperactive and playful than before. The one thing he's really into these days his BITING me. hahah. He's just playing, but it hurts SO bad. And he doesn't stop. I've tried everything. Although, spraying him with water seems to be doing something....h ahaha He just looks at me like...why did you do that!?
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 05:29:52 pm »
Hee hee hee!!!  ;D
That's SOOO cute!!  Try alittle viniger or lemon juice in the spray bottle, I've seen alot of improvement with Naja since I started doing that,  Just a little squirt in the mouth, she hates it and will stop mouthing.  When she stops I always give her a small treat and or lots and lots of praise! 
I don't see anything wrong with upping his food intake at all.  I think if he's that skinney and that hungry he probably needs it.  Try moving him up to 3 cups a day and see how his little tummy likes that.  I always feed more in the morning cause I figure that's when I'm the hungriest, so why wouldn't she be?  It is the longest period between meals.  And this way  Naja doesn't freak out like she used to when I'd call her for lunch.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 11:16:08 pm »
Jack's adult coat started to come in around 6 months.  The hair down the center of his back went from being fluffy to more silky and quite wavy and that texture is spreading to the rest of his body.  Over the last couple of months (6 to 8 months old) his tail keeps getting bigger and bigger!  He's also getting quite a "mane" as well.  He had all his adult teeth by about 6 - 7 months.  He weighed 22 lbs at 2 months, 45 lbs at 4 months, 60 ish lbs at 6 months and is now 92 lbs at 8 1/2 months).

Here's a pic from last weekend - you can't see his front end, but you can see his giant tail!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 11:45:06 pm »
Jack's adult coat started to come in around 6 months.  The hair down the center of his back went from being fluffy to more silky and quite wavy and that texture is spreading to the rest of his body.  Over the last couple of months (6 to 8 months old) his tail keeps getting bigger and bigger!  He's also getting quite a "mane" as well.  He had all his adult teeth by about 6 - 7 months.  He weighed 22 lbs at 2 months, 45 lbs at 4 months, 60 ish lbs at 6 months and is now 92 lbs at 8 1/2 months).

Here's a pic from last weekend - you can't see his front end, but you can see his giant tail!

lol, I have just a heck of a time brushing out Yukons tail! And his mane? My lord, it never feels brushed no matter how many times I go through it. His coat is soooooooooooo thick, I prefer Yiska's who's is flat and wavy and not NEARLY as thick. His weight seems to follow Yukon's until the end there he totally packed it on huh? After seeing pics of him, Yukon doesn't look filled out at all. I used to think Yukon was bulky but wow, not compared to Jack.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:45:43 pm by mama2many »

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 03:25:08 pm »
Our Charlie is 22 weeks old and he only weighs 30 lbs...is that rather small?  Could it have something to do with his HOD?  He can't exercise much because of it, and he eats less when he isn't feeling well.
Charlie - Great Pyrenees (DOB 5/1/07)
Nola & Roo - beautiful kitties

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 03:32:39 pm »
Yes, he is pretty small for 22 weeks. Don't you worry though, he will catch up soon enough  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 11:39:27 pm »
I free feed my pups from the time they are weaned and they each generally consume about 5-6 cups a day PLUS 1 pound of meat and or other supplements such as yogurt etc a day.  Some of the pups eat about 8 cups some eat about 4-5 cups.  There are no fat puppies here and I find that they self regulate quite nicely.  Pups at 8 weeks old generally weigh about 18-20 pounds and at 6 months old are 60 plus pounds.  By free feeding I am then assured that they have adequate nutrition on board for their growth needs and we essentially have no orthopedic problems.  The main thing is a high quality food and the puppy in a lean but not thin condition- whatever amount of food that accomplishes that.  Another way to feed is to put enough food in the bowl that there is a little left over when he is finished eating- works if you don't have a little pig!