Author Topic: Finally talked to my vet about Lola's bee allergy...  (Read 4116 times)

Lyn

Finally talked to my vet about Lola's bee allergy...
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:16:44 pm »
My vet is back from holidays and I finally got a chance to discuss Lola's bee allergy with him.

He said there is a possibility that if she's ever stung again the reaction could be worse, the same or she may show no reaction at all. ??? ::) Great... lol

So seeing as I don't want to test the waters to find out how bad her next reaction will be we are removing all flowers and flowering bushes from the potty area. We also have a hummingbird feeder there that I'm positive is attracting bees so it's going too.

I think I just need a great big net to put over the entire front yard. LOL Or a bee suit to put Lola in when I let her outside to potty. LMAO

We also discovered a bee nest in the pole on our chainlink fence. I taped up the holes they were coming in and out of and emptied 2 cans of bee killer in there. We dug up the post a day later and there were litterally hundreds of dead bees in it. :o So I went around the fence and sprayed and sealed up any other openings. So I'm thinking Lola was stung more than once.

Lyn

Re: Finally talked to my vet about Lola's bee allergy...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:30:28 pm »
OMG I hate google! LOL We had some funnel web type spiders in the potty area so I thought I'd look them up just in case.. turns out they are harmless 'grass spiders' but then I read further and there are Black Widows and Brown recluse spiders in Ontario Canada. :o I didn't think we had any poisonous spiders here. They are more north but it's still freaking me out now. LOL

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:49:24 pm »
i will say this once again in my lifetime....go ogle is the devil! and about the bees, they do make bee traps. i dont know what theyre called, how well they work, or where to get them (yeah im a lot of help arent i...) but ive seen them advertised before on TV. i guess they trap and kill them! just a thought!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:02:51 pm »
Sorry about that! I've got the creepy crawlies too. I hate spiders and now I'm about ready to fumigate the basement/rec-room. LOL

I asked about having an injectable steriod to keep at home just in case but he didn't think it was neccessary. :-\ But if it was multiple bee stings maybe that's why the reaction was a bad as it was.

I did see quite a few bees around that post before but there is a flowering tree right there so I assumed they were attracted to the tree. It didn't even cross my mind that they were in the post until I got close to it and I heard the buzzing. :( They are toast now and hopefully I sealed it up well enough that they can't get back in there.

We do have a couple of those bee traps in the far corner of our yard hanging in the trees. You put sugar water in them, the bees crawl in but can't get out. They may kill them, but they also attract them. :-\

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:29:27 am »
Ohhh poor Lola--those nasty bees! Farley keeps trying to bite them when they fly by. I hope he never catches one.