Author Topic: Bear had a seizure - UPDATE  (Read 5151 times)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Bear had a seizure - UPDATE
« on: August 27, 2007, 05:09:07 pm »
So - the vet visit and accompanying labs were fine. We'll record any further seizure activity and consider meds if he seizes that severely more than once per month. My concern is that he's home alone all day. But - since his labs were fine, I have to believe that we're in the early stages of whatever this is. Phew! :) Thanks so much for your kind words and support. It really makes a HUGE difference.  :-*

Hello BPO-ers. I've been absent (sometimes lurking, but not participating) for a long time for a variety of reasons - unemployment, new job, daughter off to college... but I need to post today. My Bear had a seizure today about 2:30am. The sound of it woke me up. I first thought he was dreaming, but when he didn't respond to my voice I turned on the light and saw that he was in a full seizure. It lasted about two minutes (from when I realized what it was). He seemed to have vision loss - or certainly disorientation - after the post-dictal stage, along with a little clumsiness, but recovered fairly quickly.  About a half-hour of rapid panting, then he slept through the night. I offered him a drink, which he declined, and put the fan on to help keep him cool.

I made my stepson get up this morning (yes, I'm an evil step-mom) so someone would be around Bear all day, and I made an appointment with the vet tonight. He'll be five next month, is active and healthy but for the occasional ear infection. He's my sweet big boy and I'm worried for him. Especially since my new job won't allow me to be home with him. I have medical experience, have read all the seizure posts, but need to put it out in BPO land that I'm worried about my big boy. I know you'll all understand.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:35:32 pm by jennifer »
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

angelsmama

Re: Bear had a seizure
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:03 pm »
i hope everythings ok with him :( i couldnt imagine that, i wouldve died if i saw my puppers like that

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:39:52 pm »
Sounds just like when Navarre had his seizure.  He was extremely out of it after, I couldn't even touch him.  He acted like it hurt when someone touched him for about 5 min afterward.  He was really tired that day but he was fine.  Don't be worried if your vet doesn't want to put him on meds.  Sometimes they will wait to see if he has seizures on a regular basis, one a month, before they put him on meds.  Good luck and deep breaths!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:49:40 pm »
im sorry, i bet it was frightening to wake up and see him like that. hopefully the vet will have some encouraging words, and be able to reassure you that it isnt anything serrious. hang in there.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:30:11 pm »
That must have been very difficult for you to see. I hope everything will be ok. Please keep us updated.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:32:40 pm »
That must have been terrifying!  I hope your Bear checks out at the vet!  Sending tyons of hugs to you both.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 07:24:10 pm »
I hope he is ok. Give us an update after the vets tonight. Fingers and paws crossed here for bear.

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:33:38 pm »
That must have been a very scary thing to wake up to.  Please let us know how it goes at the vet.  Big HUGS to Bear and hang in there, we're sending positive thoughts your way!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 04:51:55 pm »
Poor Bear, what a scary thing.  I hope he is feeling better & not having any more seizures.  Post a note on his progress when you get time.

Hang in there!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Bear had a seizure - UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:38:32 pm »
I tried to modify this as an update, but I'm not sure it worked. So I'll repeat here...

The vet visit and accompanying labs were fine. We'll record any further seizure activity and consider meds if he seizes that severely more than once per month. My concern is that he's home alone all day. But - since his labs were fine, I have to believe that we're in the early stages of whatever this is. Phew!  :) Bear doesn't seem to have any lingering affects, unless we can count his getting on the bed without an invite. ::) Thanks so much for your kind words and support. It really makes a HUGE difference.  :-*
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
Re: Bear had a seizure - UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:09:55 am »
Jenn, check your PMs.