Author Topic: My Father Brought Tears To My Eyes Today.... (long sorry)  (Read 4363 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
My Father Brought Tears To My Eyes Today.... (long sorry)
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:23:14 pm »
Alright, I havent told anyone on here, but my father who is 62 this year, is in late stage Alzheimers. His motor skills are very limited, as is his speech. He can not write or read, he has hallucinations, and hes very restless. BUT, he does know who people are, he just doesnt know their names. Like, he knows im his youngest daughter, he knows WHAT my name is, but he cant say it because he doesnt know it... i know that it doesnt make sense when i tell you guys that, but if youve ever known anyone with dementia you can understand what im saying....ANYW AY... My mom went on a 3 day vacation and my two older sisters and i are taking care of him, because he obviously cant be left alone. Well, my sister Amanda was here this morning, and when i came home from work, she left and i am here for the rest of the night and overnight. My father came to me saying something about asking me how old i was and my birthday and telling me he had something that his mother gave him that he wanted me to have and hes been trying to give me it for a long time, but couldnt remember my birthday... so i said alright, and he went to go get it. well.... he came back with a small make up case, and an old coffee container filled with mostly quarters, but a few pennies and dimes here and there. he told me that it was the last of his money that he had, and he wanted me to have it because he didnt know what to do with it anymore. he told me that hes been trying to give it to me for a long time but he didnt want anyone else around because he didnt want them to know. he said he knew i needed it (somehow it clicked in his head how much i had spent on my puppy these last two months, he may have overheard my mom and i talking about it, and knew she had costed me a lot of money) and he wanted me to have it. so i thanked him and gave him a hug, and thats when he started to cry and tell me that he loved me. of course, this made me cry... he told me that hes always loved me so much and that i was his little girl, and he told me how much his mother loved me. (i dont remember his mother because i was very very little, maybe a few months old, when she died) so here i am crying like a looney, and my father crying and telling me about how everyone loves me (im not sure how true THAT is... i can name a few family members who wont even say hello to me) but yeah, i just had to share that because i thought it was so sweet of him. hes had this disease since i was 12yrs old, so its about 8 yrs that hes had it... and he was always the guy who knew how to do EVERYTHING.. he built the house i live in.... its just horrible to see him this way.... thanks for reading guys! sorry its so long!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My Father Brought Tears To My Eyes Today.... (long sorry)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:28:07 pm »
I am so sorry that your father has to go through this horrible illness  :'(
We are sending you positive vibes and hugs  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Lorena

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:04 pm »
I am really sorry to hear that about your Dad...
Just for you to feel a little bit better...remem ber all the good times you had with him and you will still have...
I lost my Dad when I was 9...so everytime you feel sad remember that you had him by your side all the time...for birthday parties, christmas, when you were looking for advice, when you graduated or you name the occasion...He was there for you..now it's a difficult time...Just pray for strengh and enjoy every single time you now have with him.
You will be on my prays...
I hope you feel better...
~Lorena~

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:34:42 pm »
thanks guys, you make me feel much better. i never have had anyone to really talk to about this at all. i juist feel horrible that its like this. but on the brighter side, did i mention he tried to give my parents house to my boyfriend and i....  he said he wants us to have it when he dies and my mom dies lol. unfotunately i only got that in words, and not in writing on a will! lol. i LOVE their house, but unfortunately theres us 6 kids to fight over it!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:37:41 pm »
I just typed a reply and when I went to post it my computer said it couldn't find the server!!!!  So, here I go again!!

My grandmother has alzheimers too, she's 92 and my aunt takes care of her.  She's had it for awhile.  She doesn't know who any of us are and it's kind of funny because you can tell her "southern charm" is still very much there.  When we see her you can tell by the look on her face she doesn't know who we are but she will talk to us like we're old friends!!  At least she used to, she doesn't talk much anymore, unless it's time for bed and then she talks, loudly, to all her old friends!!  Her Dr. said that he has never seen someone this far along in the disease who is still mobile.  We can't decide if that's a good thing or not!!

I hate it for you, and for my mom and aunt.  But I am grateful to the alzheimers in a way.  I wasn't raised around my grandmother, we always lived on the other side of the country!!  And my mother was a late in life baby!!  So when I would see my granny it was always the stern, matter of fact, this is the way it is, granny!!  When the disease started to become noticeable, she would tell stories, over and over.  Stories about her dad, sister, and the old neighborhood.  And her eyes would sparkle, she's got the brightest light blue eyes, when she would talk about her dad.  She was obviously a daddy's girl.  And she would giggle like she was 10 again!!  So for those conversations, I am so grateful, I got to see my granny like never before!  Like Lorena said, hold on the memories and remember these new ones too.  Peace to you and your family.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 10:37:05 pm »
So sorry. It's nice that you were able to have a heart to heart moment with him.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 11:50:12 pm »
My grandmother and aunt both had Alzheimers. I too wish it didn't exsist. I am afraid my mother may have it now...she says mean things and diesn't remember saying them, and she repeats everything over and over. She is 75...It scares the h*ll out of me. I am sorry you are going through this with your dad, it is nice that you still have special times with him though.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:01:35 am »
*sniffle* that made my eyes swell up with tears.  you're so lucky to have such a great dad, and he's lucky to have you, too!  i can't imagine how heart breaking the whole thing must be  :'(
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:50:59 am »
We are just starting to experience this with our grandmother, nothing like what you've dealt with as she is much, much older and just starting to really show the signs of dementia/alzhiemers, but still scary. All you can do is cherish the moments like the one today and hope for more like them, while remembering the person as they were. I say as they were because in the case of my grandmother she has turned into a very mean person and if you didn't know her as she use to be you could never tolerate the person she's become.

Heres to hoping for more days like today!   Tim

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:10:47 am »
thanks a lot, tim, i know what you mean by shes a mean person now. dont worry, she will get through that phase. my father went through it. it was really scary because my father used to box, and he was in the air force, so he was always really strong. its not his fault, he didnt mean it, but he hurt my mom a few times, and my one sister... hes over that part now... he just kind of wanders around aimlessly all day, and hes told me before (which makes me cry) that he wants someone to kill him because he feels like all he does is get up every day and wait to die. its so sad to see him go through this. we dont have any history of it at all in our family, but some links have been made to agent orange which he was in contact with during the war in the air force... but of course, the government wont come to a conclusion on that and help victims like him...

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 01:25:04 am »
I am so glad you got to experience such a special moment with your dad. My grandfather had the horrible disease too.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 03:05:45 pm »
I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this terrible disease.  But happy that you get to have these wonderfull meaningful moments with your dad.  My grandmother just passed away and she was suffering from Alzheimers and dimentia.  Luckily for her and us she passed away before she was too far gone into her own mind, she had a traumatic childhood so reliving her past would have been horrible for her.  She could still remember our names when she recognised us, but would more often then not see my sister and I as little girls.  I remember one day I was cooking dinner for them I think I was mashing potatoes on the stove, and she got terribly upset at my mother for letting me near the stove.  She was convinced that I was going to hurt myself!  She was sweet and I miss her.  I'm happy that you get to spend time with your dad still, I know you will cherish every moment whether good or bad.
You're in my thoughts.  :-*  Big hug!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 01:45:39 am »
thanks guys, im glad you have opened up your stories as well to me. it means a lot to me.  :-* :)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:37:24 am »
Hang in there,both my parents went this route,and it is a long and mostly sad path.
Moments like you had with your Dad are rare and precious.I think that no matter how bad things get,there are moments of clarity that are astounding.

Blessings to you and your family
Tricia and the fur kids