Author Topic: Leonberger No Spill Water Bowl  (Read 8140 times)

Offline CliosMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Leonberger No Spill Water Bowl
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:43:07 am »
Can anyone recommend a type of indoor water bowl that works for their Leonberger? My female is so sweet, but water gets everywhere when she drinks in the house. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:51:41 am by CliosMom »

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: Leonberger No Spill Water Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:05:52 am »
Hmmmm. Does it get everywhere because it runs out of her mouth, or does she splash with her tongue, or is she pawing it? Ah, either way, you may be out of luck. If she's playing in it, though, you could try a raised bowl that's up in a stand, or put her bowl up on something higher to try it out before you spend $$$$.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:08:49 am »
if it's sloshing, they have those bowls for basset hounds (at least that's what i've seen then used with) that are pyramid shaped.  i don't know where they get them from though.  they also help with playing in the water b/c they can only get their face in it, and not their paws and face at the same time.  if she's just drooling or it's running out her mouth, there's really nothing you can do except put it up a little higher (it helps with axle sometimes) and put a big towel down lol
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:07:18 am »
liz, that's what i was thinking of, except the one i saw went up instead of down into the bowl.  thanks for the link!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »
The only non-spill setup we ever had that worked was a bucket set inside an old tire.  Not pretty, but it never tipped over, not even with a big dog sitting on the tire soaking her feet in the bucket.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:53:09 pm »
There's really not a special bowl you can get to avoid the dribble from your Leonberger's jowls. We're usually on high alert when Rosie drinks from her bowl. We have a drool rag on the ready afterwards. But if it's a matter of the bowl tipping, raising it on a platform feeding table might help (although not if your dog is inclined enough to raise his paw that high).
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:32:47 pm »
Glad you like the idea.  You can also put rocks inside the tire if it needs to be really heavy.

For that genuine experience, you also need at least one broken fridge next to the dog run for shade.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua