Author Topic: Crones Disease  (Read 2325 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Crones Disease
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:14:34 pm »
Does anybody know anything about Crones Disease?  My baby sister who is only 20 years old was just diagnosed with that as well as Interstitial Cistitus (sp?).  I don't know much about either disease, so I just thought I'd ask you guys while I do other research.  I'm sacred and worried for her.  She's gone through so much in her short life, I hope that she is able to get treatment, but from what the docs say, her choices are limited.  If only a small part of her bowels are in Necropsis then she may be treatable with Steroids, but if she has too much damage, my poor baby sister might have to spend the rest of her life with a colostomy bag.  I don't know what to do to help her.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Crones Disease
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:46:27 pm »
Not a pleasant disease but it is treatable.  Only a few people end up with a permanent colostomy so don't worry about that just yet.  It is a disease that remits and relapses so she is in for a few ups and downs and steroids are no picnic- tons of side effects.  Not a disease you can paint a rosy picture of- sorry.  However I do know several people with Crohns and they can also live very productive reasonably healthy lives too.  One has been in remission for more than 10 years  another is a doctor who is now in his fifties- never lost any significant time and he was diagnosed at 19.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:09:15 pm »
However I do know several people with Crohns and they can also live very productive reasonably healthy lives too.  One has been in remission for more than 10 years  another is a doctor who is now in his fifties- never lost any significant time and he was diagnosed at 19.

That is one of the most helpful and positive things someone could say to us right now.  I'm very worried about her not being able to cope.  So knowing about someone who was diagnosed at around the same age that Tammy is that was able to lead a succesful life really brightens my outlook.  Thank you.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:26:40 pm »
My Mom, who is 62, as well as one of my best friends who is 28, have Chrons and as everyone has said here, it has been kept in check through diet modification and medication. My Mom has had it for over 15 years now and my friend for over 3 and not colostomies have been needed. 

While the bloating and having to cut out some desirable foods are not-so-much-fun, it is a disease that can be treated and oftentimes without a colostomy.

A few things to add to the list that she may want to look out for that affect my Mom and friend poorly are anything spicy and carbonated drinks.

Sending lots of hugs and positive vibes to your sister.  Hang in there!   :-*

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:21 pm »
My little sister has Crohn's also.  She was finally diagnosed at around 22 or so (she's umm...39 now).  She has had portions of her intestines removed, but, leads a very normal life.  She does have to watch what she eats (spicy foods especially), and she rarely drinks alcohol, as it also upsets her Crohn's.  She travel's overseas extensively and lived in China for the last 2 years, so she's probably eaten just about any type of food there is.

On the plus side, she stays slim without much effort, while the rest of us have overweight problems.

Your sister should research Crohn's and get a doctor who is experienced with it.  With help, she should be able to manager the disease, and lead a long productive life.

We'll keep her in our prayers :-)
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 07:13:37 pm »
One of my co-workers children was diagnosed at 16 I think with it. He ended up dropping out of school because of a misdiagnosis originally that caused him lots of pain. Thankfully she was diagnosed early. Jesse kept his in check with diet modification too but being a teenaged boy ate junk that would make himself sick. (Boys will be boys!)

I agree, find a doctor that either specializes or has a lot of experience/knowledge of Chrons that can help her find the perfect balance.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat