Author Topic: Donations for Military K9s  (Read 2799 times)

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Donations for Military K9s
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:21:55 am »
Hello one and all,

I know I've been slacking off posting lately. Why does life get so crazy at one time?!? Anyways, I shouldn't complain, I'm home with my family and my loving-slobbering BP.

I have many friends stationed around the world with military, of course I send them care packages and cards all the time. I stumbled across the website anysoldier.com . This is a board for soldiers to post what their unit/squad would like to receive in care packages. I searched K9 units and currently there are at least 10 soldiers (various branches) listed between Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Iraq with K9 units with requests. Most are shepherds but there are a few Belgian Malinoises sniffing out IEDs.

Is anyone willing to help gather toys (obviously not easily destroyed), tennis balls, treats, brushes, collapsible bowls, etc to send care packages for the hardest working paws?? I have a call into the local sports store to see if I can get a bunch of tennis balls donated or something.

If you have any contacts at pet stores or anything that might be willing to help let me know. I'm trying to get at least a small box out with puppy and human treats that I have already next week.

Handlers are asking for gatorade mix, mags, candy (of course!), baby wipes, razors, blank cards to mail home, etc.

Send me a quick message if you want to help out. I can either give you my info and I'll gather it all together and send out or I can give you their info.

Thanks everyone,
Annette and Jager
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Donations for Military K9s
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:45:21 am »
From the information I have right now there are about 4-6 dogs per area since it can be dangerous to have all of the dogs in one place at one time. I have a couple seperate address but they can change, and do, frequently. The soldiers are usually pretty good about updating them. I'm trying to obtain additional addresses.

Let me know and I'll get names and address out to those that want them.

Annette, mother to:

Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:22:46 am »
My family looks on anysoldier.com quite a bit and always gets together a care package.  It's cool because the units will actually write in and tell you what they specifically want/need or you can just send stuff to a main address.  I think the K9 units is a fabulous idea!!!

My soccer team has decided that for our project this season they (4-6yrs) are going to collect things, rags, toys, etc for about the next month and we will take the donation to the animal shelter.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:09:09 am »
Thanks for doing this, Annette! I posted quite awhile ago about my SIL's BIL who has served as the vet for these dogs (http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,7860.0.html). I would happy to ask him if you want, because he would have good info about how to get goodies to the K-9 units.

Also, if you have a tennis club near you, that would be a better place to get tennis balls donated. They have plenty of used ones, and the pooches don't mind if they are used.

That would be great (asking your BIL).

I never thought about the tennis clubs! There are a bunch in my county. We have rich areas and the not so rich areas. I happen to live in between them! Thanks so much for the ideas.

Navarre - I remember doing collection projects in Girl Scouts way back in the day. Anysoldier.com is awesome. There are so many easy things that are asking for,sending a small quick package is like picking up a few extras when running to the store. Looking at Jager all laid out enjoying the cool AC while e-mail a drill sgt friend of mine reminded me that not all BPs get to do that.

Annette, mother to:

Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 05:45:52 pm »
I would love to help out with this!!! My husband is in the reserves now, but did 15 years on active duty. He served in Somalia, and in Afganistan. I never thought of sending the dogs care packages!! What a great idea.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 05:48:24 pm »
I wonder, is there something like this for Canadian soldier?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:28:12 am »
If enough people were interested we could actually get a couple of packages together for the different units for Christmas!! 

I think on anysoldier.com you can choose Canadian units too.  I'm not sure, I may be getting some websites confused!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:49:11 pm »
I have 3 addresses for the K-9 units. Some are getting ready to cycle out at the end of the year. One is there until next June.

I've been searching around on there through the non-doggie units too. One soldier has a request for anchovies. Ewww. But if it's a comfort, why not. Haven't found any that are from Canada on there yet, but I'm sure there are listings somewhere.

I LOVE the idea of christmas! One medic gave an update that the "party in a box" was a great hit. The received decorations, candy, and cards (cards to give out and send home to family). Halloween is my favorite holiday so I might just run to Michaels or JoAnns to get some decoration and candy (obviously choclate will melt) to ship over for a unit to have some fun.

Annette, mother to:

Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline della

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:07:05 am »
I would like to have names and addresses to send care packages to the K-9s and their soldiers.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 01:21:17 pm »
I sent you a PM with the info.

Annette, mother to:

Bacardi - DSH terror cat