Mastiffs > Rare Breed Mastiff Discussions

Rare Breed types & who owns them

<< < (2/8) > >>

mastiffmommy:

I have Bullmastiff and OEM, know a little about the rare breeds, but this would be a perfect place for me to learn more about them, so bring on all the information you have. I do love the wonderful faces on the Dogue De Bordeux. Anyone know more about them??

Marit

sterling_boerboels:
I own South African Boerboels and think they are awesome, athletic powerful gentle, especially with children and fierce when needed. They are also much less dog aggressive as some of the other athletic mastiffs. If you like Presas you should check out Red Star kennel they're very skilled trainers and have more stable presas then most.

sally:

--- Quote from: britt_cllns on April 15, 2005, 09:44:36 pm ---The Spanish mastiff is called the Pyrenean Mastiff and has the temperment of a Newfie.  They are adorable and are supposed to be the BEST family dogs.  They are not guard dogs.

--- End quote ---
This is a misunderstandi ng  ;)

The Spanish Mastiff (Mastín Español) and the Pyrenean Mastiff (Mastin del Pirineo) are two different breeds.

See topic:
http://bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,449.0.html

sally:

--- Quote from: Malcolms mom on April 19, 2005, 07:03:01 am ---I read that they were pretty dog aggressive, is this true?

--- End quote ---
They are not especially dog aggressive, at least not on neutral grounds, probably on their own territory ;D

Malishiku:
I really like the Beaucerons, however, I hear that they are "hot-headed". So I'm probably going to go through a few other breeds and gain "dog-handling" experience before I decide to take on a Beauceron.

They are very pretty though:

The Natural Look

The Crop Look

Note: Their tails NEVER get docked and they are suppose to KEEP their double-hind dew claws.

This breed was accepted in the AKC on June 11th of 2001. Here is a brief description from the AKC site (http://www.akc.org/breeds/beauceron/index.cfm):

The Beauceron is a distinct French breed of herding dog. Though almost unknown outside of France, the Beauceron has a long history. It is a very old breed developed solely in France with no foreign crosses. The earliest record found so far of what is thought to be this breed dates back to a Renaissance manuscript of 1578. In 1809, the abbey Rozier reported plain dogs guarding flocks and herds. In 1863, Pierre Megnin differentiated, with precision, two types of these sheep dogs: one with a long coat, which became known as the Berger de Brie (Briard), the other with a short coat, which is known as the Berger de Beauce (Beauceron). The Beauceron is a well balanced, solid dog of good height and well muscled without heaviness or coarseness. The dog is alert and energetic with a noble carriage. The whole conformation gives the impression of depth and solidity without bulkiness, exhibiting the strength, endurance and agility required of the herding dog. Dogs are characteristic ally larger throughout with large frame and heavier bone than bitches. Bitches are distinctly feminine, but without weakness of substance or structure. The Beauceron should be easily approached without showing signs of fear.

I've actually met a 6 month old male in real life and he is VERY sweet. The vet cut his ears a bit too short though...but his tuffs of hair on the ears cover up the mistake...so it doesn't look so bad. He is currently being trained in Schutzhund. I can't wait to see how he turns out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version