Author Topic: Rare Breed types & who owns them  (Read 37402 times)

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Rare Breed types & who owns them
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:04:55 pm »
Even though I own A Fila Brasileiro Mastiff now, I do like the "Dogue de Bordeux" (French Mastiff) & The "Dogo Argentino" Mastiff. "Cane Corso Mastiffs" are also a great looking dog.
Just love those big old heads!
Does anyone own a "Presa Canario?"
They are very uncommon & extremely
aggressive when full grown. I have not seen many, but the ones I have seen at shows are really quite impressive looking.Howeve r they got allot of bad press a couple of years ago with that fatal attack in San Francisco with the two lawyers that owned them & they killed their neighbor. The owners of the dogs were sent to jail.
It made all the national news at the time. After that incident, not may Presa Canario breeders were very visable for awhile.
Shame, because they are beauties.
Donna

Offline Filas-R-Gr8

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Breed types & who owns them
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:06:51 pm »

Hi all,
I have four Filas Brasileiro, 1 is 9 yrs 2 are nearly 3 years and 1 is 2 years. As if you can't tell I love this breed. Though I would love to learn about some of the other breeds also. The Spanish Mastiffs, I have seen in pictures are beautiful.

Offline britt_cllns

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:44:36 pm »
The Spanish mastiff is called the Pyrenean Mastiff and has the temperment of a Newfie.  They are adorable and are supposed to be the BEST family dogs.  They are not guard dogs.

Offline Malcolms mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:03:01 am »
I read that they were pretty dog aggressive, is this true?

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:01:23 am »
The Fila Brasilerio is aggressive towards strangers & other dogs not known to them in their family. Definately not a dog for the "socially active " dog owner. Some of them though, do have "softer temperaments."
I am not aware of the Spanish Mastiff temperamnet though. Perhaps someone else here can help on that one.
Donna

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 01:31:48 am »

I have Bullmastiff and OEM, know a little about the rare breeds, but this would be a perfect place for me to learn more about them, so bring on all the information you have. I do love the wonderful faces on the Dogue De Bordeux. Anyone know more about them??

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline sterling_boerboels

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:35:42 am »
I own South African Boerboels and think they are awesome, athletic powerful gentle, especially with children and fierce when needed. They are also much less dog aggressive as some of the other athletic mastiffs. If you like Presas you should check out Red Star kennel they're very skilled trainers and have more stable presas then most.

Offline sally

• Gnawer
  • Sally & Toro - 11 months old
    • View Profile
    • Mastín Español International
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 03:37:10 pm »
The Spanish mastiff is called the Pyrenean Mastiff and has the temperment of a Newfie.  They are adorable and are supposed to be the BEST family dogs.  They are not guard dogs.
This is a misunderstandi ng  ;)

The Spanish Mastiff (Mastín Español) and the Pyrenean Mastiff (Mastin del Pirineo) are two different breeds.

See topic:
http://bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,449.0.html
There are dogs - and there are mastines!
www.mastin-espanol.dk

Offline sally

• Gnawer
  • Sally & Toro - 11 months old
    • View Profile
    • Mastín Español International
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 03:38:28 pm »
I read that they were pretty dog aggressive, is this true?
They are not especially dog aggressive, at least not on neutral grounds, probably on their own territory ;D
There are dogs - and there are mastines!
www.mastin-espanol.dk

Offline Malishiku

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Airreyalis - Malinois & Shikoku
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 01:15:32 am »
I really like the Beaucerons, however, I hear that they are "hot-headed". So I'm probably going to go through a few other breeds and gain "dog-handling" experience before I decide to take on a Beauceron.

They are very pretty though:

The Natural Look

The Crop Look

Note: Their tails NEVER get docked and they are suppose to KEEP their double-hind dew claws.

This breed was accepted in the AKC on June 11th of 2001. Here is a brief description from the AKC site (http://www.akc.org/breeds/beauceron/index.cfm):

The Beauceron is a distinct French breed of herding dog. Though almost unknown outside of France, the Beauceron has a long history. It is a very old breed developed solely in France with no foreign crosses. The earliest record found so far of what is thought to be this breed dates back to a Renaissance manuscript of 1578. In 1809, the abbey Rozier reported plain dogs guarding flocks and herds. In 1863, Pierre Megnin differentiated, with precision, two types of these sheep dogs: one with a long coat, which became known as the Berger de Brie (Briard), the other with a short coat, which is known as the Berger de Beauce (Beauceron). The Beauceron is a well balanced, solid dog of good height and well muscled without heaviness or coarseness. The dog is alert and energetic with a noble carriage. The whole conformation gives the impression of depth and solidity without bulkiness, exhibiting the strength, endurance and agility required of the herding dog. Dogs are characteristic ally larger throughout with large frame and heavier bone than bitches. Bitches are distinctly feminine, but without weakness of substance or structure. The Beauceron should be easily approached without showing signs of fear.

I've actually met a 6 month old male in real life and he is VERY sweet. The vet cut his ears a bit too short though...but his tuffs of hair on the ears cover up the mistake...so it doesn't look so bad. He is currently being trained in Schutzhund. I can't wait to see how he turns out!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 02:31:22 am by Kimiko »
=(^ - ^)= / ) Corina A. Gonzalez
www.airreyalis .com
Belgian Malinois & Shikoku Ken

Offline dian4ya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 06:13:39 am »
I know plenty about them because my female just had a pup, they are the sweetest dog that I know.  And, they do have the best faces that I've seen.  They are people dogs, meaning they love to be where you are and they love kids as well.  Because both of mine are very spoiled to say the least, and they crave attention and give you slobber in return. ;D :D

I have Bullmastiff and OEM, know a little about the rare breeds, but this would be a perfect place for me to learn more about them, so bring on all the information you have. I do love the wonderful faces on the Dogue De Bordeux. Anyone know more about them??

Marit

Offline Boerboelmom

• Gnawer
  • Batu
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Large Breed Rescue
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 04:42:27 pm »
I own two Boerboel Mastiffs, a breed from South Africa. They are great with children (that was their original purpose, to guard children while they were out in the fields during the day tending to the flocks or herds). I really like that they are aggressive as some although they do bond well to their family and learn to "read" their emotions. If you are feeling uncertain about someone then they will imitate your emotions and prepare themselves to defend you if necessary. Because this breed is not well known most of them are very much like their standard in regards to character and temperament. I say this because so many breeds have now been divided into two different lines: working or show. My older mastiff who is 6 months old has been going outside with my 5 year old since he was two months and would sit by me and watch over him as he played, unlike some breeds that would be more interested in actually playing with the child. Not to say that he doesn't play with my children, he does but he also seems to know when he is needed to simply watch over them.
What is joy? Being owned by a Boerboel!

BabsT

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 05:58:46 pm »
I own a Central Asian Ovcharka but I love all the LGD breeds along with the filas, dogo, BB etc...

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 10:38:20 pm »
Beautiful dogs all!...I know Pyrs aren't rare but they are around here...I was lucky to get Samson!

Offline Pierre

• Gnawer
  • Sir Hugo Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 09:20:04 am »
I own a presa.

Pierre