Author Topic: Great Pyrenesse Info Please  (Read 15557 times)

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Great Pyrenesse Info Please
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:57:05 pm »
Hi,
My name is Melissa. Im interested in perhaps adding a Great Pyreneese to my family. I have a few other breeds Im looking into also. But I do have some questions about Great Pyrenees. I was wondering if you Pyr owners could answer for me?
1~How are they with children? I have a 4 year old son. I will never leave them unsupervised,and never let Shane (My son) tease the dog in any way, but I would like a dog that will get along with him and play with him.
2~How are they with other critters?
3~How much exersize a day do they need as adults?
4~What aresome health problems Great Pyreneese can have? How do you prevent them,and/or how they are treated
5~What are some pros and cons?
6~What sort of grooming and how often do they need?

Feel free to add anything else you think I should know that I didnt add. Feel free to brag or vent lol
Thank you :)
~Melissa~

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Great Pyrenesse Info Please
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:41:12 pm »
Hey, good for you on the individual research.  I'm just gonna list your questins and then answer them to the best of my ability.  Mind you my girl is still a puppy so some questions I'll probably skip.  ;)

1~How are they with children? I have a 4 year old son. I will never leave them unsupervised,and never let Shane (My son) tease the dog in any way, but I would like a dog that will get along with him and play with him.
Okay, Naja is FANTASTIC with kids, I don't have any myself, but I do have 2 nefews, an 8 yr old and a 4 year old.  The 8 yr old I don't really worry about so much, he kinda gets that Naja isn't really a high energy dog.  But the 4 yr old is a Hellion.  He doesn't quite get that although she is very large she is still delicate b/c she's a puppy.  He'll run at her sacring her half to death, but I've never once seen her get aggresive or defencive with him.  At most she'll run away and hide behind my legs.  When it comes to strange children she's also great, she'll sit there and let herself he petted and rubbed for hours, she just doesn't like rough play.
2~How are they with other critters?

I also live on a farm with lots and lots of cows, cats, farmers (They smell just like if not worse then the animals so they are also classified as critters in my books. lol  ;D)  We also have a Cairn Terrier named Moo.  Naja likes to bark at just about anything she sees move, she won't attack it (unless it's a sniff attack. lol), she mostly likes to stay at a distance and bark.  With Moo, she is again just wonderful, they are the bestest of best friends, at any time of the day (unless she is sleeping, which is most of the day...  ha ha) you will see them chasing each other around the yard/porch/house.  He is much more rough with her then she with him, although she knows she has the ability, she has never once hurt him even accidently.  Oh yeah, and she LOVES kittens, she would spend hours snuggling and licking any of the many kittens that come around the house.

3~How much exersize a day do they need as adults?

Dont' know yet, but I'll let you know when I find out!  2 yrs or so?

4~What aresome health problems Great Pyreneese can have? How do you prevent them,and/or how they are treated

Great Pyrenees Health issues from what I've been told are pretty uniform with most other Giant Breeds.  Hip/Shoulder?Elbow displacia, Bloat, HOV, Parvo, among others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  Having all your dogs shots on time is important to prevent many things such as Parvo, Rabies, Kennel Cough.  Also keeping your Big Paw on low protein even adult premium quality food will help with the bone and joint problems, as well as Glucosamine supplements will go a long way.  It may feel like you're spending alot of money now on food and supplements, but it's alot less then you would be spending on surgeries and frequent vet visits if you did not take these precautions as puppies)

5~What are some pros and cons?

Cons- Lots and lots and lots of hair on carpets, furniture, clothes, or anything else hair might stick to.  They have a bred in nature to wander and are never to be trusted off leash.  Due to their breeding over hundreds of years, they will ALWAYS want to explore just a little bit further anything they find interesting.  They bark ALOT!!  At just about anything that moves or looks like it could move!  "Low flying satelights, butterflies" - Catherine DeLe Cruz.  They are stubborn, because they are so smart they often thing they know what's best for you, not the other way around.

Pros - They are one of the most loyal breeds I have ever come across.  They are warm and loving, and if you are part of their family will watch over and protect you to the death.  They bark at anything or one that could be a threat alerting you to possible danger, and warding off anybody or thing that thought they could get you alone.  They are SUPER intelligent, they don't take long to train as long as you are consistant, a few sessions with Naja is all I usually need to teach her something new.  Lot's and Lots of hair, the more to cuddle against, and to spend hours on end cathartically brushing.  Sometimes I just zone out while brushing her, it is relaxing and theraputic for the both of us.

6~What sort of grooming and how often do they need?

They need to be brushed at LEAST once a week to prevent matting.  Their coat will blow a few times a year (I'm told, haven't experianced THAT yet  ;D).  Never really need to cut their hair, unless you want to I guess, but it's so pretty why would you want to?  Nails especially dew claws need to be done every 2-3 weeks.  I'm told doing the nails is terrible by most other ppl, but I personally have never had a problem, I actually think Naja likes it.  :D  But for the hair thing, you could always make a nice hat or pair of mittens!  There is a guy on here that did that with his Newfie a while back.  It was before I joined but I was reading back and thought it was neat!  ;D

Good luck in your search!!   ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:59:49 pm »
I have 4 pyrs and they are all indoor dogs for the most part. I would trust any of my Pyrs with any child unattended any day of the week. We dont have small children but have friends who do and you can not find a more attentive caring baby sitter. Its got to be instinctive with them.
Before adding a Pyr to your household here are a few things you need to know. They have to have a securely fenced area, even if you live out in the country. You must be able to tolerate the barking, the digging and the hair. In fact if you are really serious about this- go out and buy the Dyson Animal now.
Pyrs are intensly loyal, but hard headed. They thrive on attention and praise. Pyrs do not respond well to physical discipline. Pyrs are smart. In fact they usually think that they are smarter than thier owners. A training program is strongly recommended.
They do need exercise but not like some of the other large breeds.
As far as health problems, hip dysplasia is a big concern. I have been lucky and we have never had any major health concerns with any of my current Pyrs. I did lose a Pyr to a heart defect about 1 1/2 years ago at a young age and my vet said that she has seen it before with Pyrs.
None of my Pyrs are aggressive with the cats. And if you really want some entertainment, introduce a young Pyr to some goats. Something in that brain snaps on and it is extremely interesting to watch thousands of years of breeding come on like a light bulb in thier heads.
All of that being said, Pyrs are one of the best dogs to own if you can get past the hair and the barking.
Good Luck and hopefully this has answered a few questions.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:38:58 am »
There is not much I can add to the above BUT
I really don't understand why every Pyr owner has to have a fence?
We built one as soon as we got Lily and we never use it...I mean, she would go and lay down outside but she prefers to do it on the deck so she can see better. She would not go and run  there by herself. It would make sense if you have two or three dogs maybe. I walk my dog 3 time a day for about 1.5-2 hours daily and she is in great shape and tired all the time. Now, would you cell/re home your pup to someone who will walk it or to someone who would just open the back door to let the dog pee?

Anyways, Melissa, I LOVE Great Pyrenees! They are so easy to live with...they don't ask for much BUT petting and hugging  ;D     
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:44:15 am »
Thanks guys.
What is the Dyson Animal?
I dont know if I would have a fence at first, but I would never let my dog out unless leashed. And if i didnt know for certain that my fence was secure I dont think I would let it out in hte fence with out a leash either lol. My last dog somebody let her out of our house, she wanderd into the street and was hit, so I am very paranoid about it now lol
Thanks again for the info :)
~Melissa~

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:56:06 am »
Oh!   :'(
I'm so sorry to hear about your last dog too.  I'm pretty paranoid about letting my pups out too, only ever on leashes.  We don't have a fenced yard either, and cars and trucks and tracters drive fast and do not look for ppl or animals on the road.  I've even almost been hit while checking the mail.  I had to dive for the bushes and got showered with rocks!  >:(
My leashes are super long for playing outside though they are each 15' long.  But we have a big deck and lots of room inside for them to run around too, so I guess it kinda evens out.  Anyways.  Sorry got off on a tangent.  The Dyson Animal is a Vaccuum.  I've heard (I don't have one myself) that it's the best darn vaccuum EVER if you own a pet.  ;D

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 05:26:21 am »
Pyrenees are guardians and originally bred to protect herds of livestock. They have been known to patrol a 2 mile radius in order to protect the livestock. They are known for being able to travel great distances if they get out of thier yards. I suppose that not every Pyrenees has the desire to take off, but if instinctively challenged, they could develope that desire. Mine still escape, on occasion and I am fenced in for about 2 acres around the house with a pretty decent fence.
I never ever trust mine unsupervised for any long length of time. Zoey is usually content to rule the world from the corner of the back deck but has been known to get over the fence when we had coyotes in the back tree line. Tugs has now discovered that he can wiggle thru the back gate ( who would have ever thought that he would fit?? ) so now all of the Farmaster gates are being worked on so that he can not get thru them. They are like little explorers who get bored with thier territory and just have to go out and check out the next property to ease the boredom.

Since we are fenced in I do feel comfortable letting everyone out to run and play. However they are never outside if I some one is not at home to keep an eye on them.

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 08:18:37 am »
Oh, ok. I'll look em up. Hair dosent really bother me though. Ive never been much of a clean freak. My ex was and we drove each other crazy. Me with his constant vacuming, and floor shampooing, and him with my inability to vacume properly (leave lines on the carpet lol) When we had Zoe (A Doberman/Setter mix) She shedded so bad we had hair all over.On our clothes, in our mouths, in our food. I really dont mind hair everywhere lol.
I would love to have two acres fenced in for Shane and a dog to run around in. Thats my idea of the perfect house right there lol.
Thanks again for the info :)
~Melissa~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 08:33:51 am »
There is not much I can add to the above BUT
I really don't understand why every Pyr owner has to have a fence?
We built one as soon as we got Lily and we never use it...I mean, she would go and lay down outside but she prefers to do it on the deck so she can see better. She would not go and run  there by herself. It would make sense if you have two or three dogs maybe. I walk my dog 3 time a day for about 1.5-2 hours daily and she is in great shape and tired all the time. Now, would you cell/re home your pup to someone who will walk it or to someone who would just open the back door to let the dog pee?

They are wonderful, sweet, smart dogs, but they absolutely WILL WANDER, so visable fencing is a must!!  It doesn't matter how laid back and sleepy they *seem* they are on guard all the time and they will go as far as it takes to check out something that they hear.  Don't for a moment let that mellow exterior fool you.  Halley once was dozing on the floor in our RV while we were on vacation. I was inside with her when my husband came to the door to ask me something and I opened the door a crack.  In a nanosecond she was on her feet, pushed the door open and ran outside.  My husband caught her, but only after he chased her on foot for over 1/2 a mile.  They may seem big and sleepy but they run like the wind (remember that they can & do take down coyotes, wolves & bear).  He caught Halley within 500' of the foot of a freeway offramp.  He nearly had a heart attack about what could have happened (so did I!).  She was as happy as a lark and running with a big ol' smile on her face.  Oh and forget getting them to come when you call them if they are "guarding" regardless of how well trained they are otherwise.  MY DH was calling her frantically the whole time he was chasing her and she would just looked over her shoulder and kept on running. 

We have full fencing around our big "dog yard" and padlocks on our gates to be sure that neither our kids nor the neighbors visiting grandkids decide to go in to visit the dogs and let them out.  We live on acreage, so we have areas that all of the kids can play without the dogs as well as a big fenced area that connects to the house for the dogs to play outside safely and where we can hang out and play with them.  Though they spend most of their time indoors with us, this way they also have a safely fenced yard.  I just won't take the chance that one of the kids will let one of the dogs escape.  We've lived with 3 & 3/4 Pyrs now (Cassie is mostly Pyr) and I would't risk "freedom" with any of them!   ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:45:11 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 10:19:15 pm »
I wouldn't trust any dog off leash.
I live in a very populated area and there is no way it could be safe with any breed. Although, I do have a friend with Weimaraner who has no choice but to let him run free since he has enourmous amount of energy and the dog almost got hit by a car quite a few times. The dog parks should take care of exessive energy  ;) 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 03:02:23 am »
Thanks guys. I would never let any dog off leash. It scares me.
What sort of exersize do you give your Pyr on a daily bases?
What sort of grooming routine do you have?
Thanks again
~Melissa~

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 05:24:20 am »
Since I live out in the country- we dont have to worry about city traffic and congestion. Our exercise time involves all of the danes and all of the pyrs outside, playing with each other and usually they end up in a game of tag running thru the creek or the trees. It doesnt take much with this guys, a good playtime in the morning usually between 4 and 6 and then in the evenings between 6 and 7 or 8. Then they come in and crash until something gets thier attention and they  determine that they must bark. I think that my Danes require more exercise than the Pyrs.

marypyrs

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 06:23:14 am »
Agreed with that Paige! These guys are so laid back! Unless = = = =

At this moment I have one under the desk and on my feet. Another as close to me as he can get. However they can be on guard in less than a second.

They romp and play and then they sleep. And sleep. And sleep.

We take three good long walks a day. Not all that long when compared to other breeds. But if a Pyr sees, hears, or senses trouble he/she will travel 10 miles with no effort at all. They know no boundary unless properly fenced. Many years ago it was not necessary. Now. Unfortunatly. It is.

I think we should get a thread going on "what we do before non-dog family members who we REALLY care about come to visit." I just went through it and I'm exhausted!!!! :o But getting back to normal now.  ;)

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 07:10:08 am »
Thanks guys :)
What about grooming? What sort of things do you do daily? What about weekly?
Thanks again guys
~Melissa~

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 06:53:37 am »
Dailey, I usually comb her.  Weekly I give her a good brushing with the brush and the comb, if she's a little stinky, I have this waterless bath stuff that basically deoderises her (but she almost never needs it).  Bi-weekly I do all that plus trim her nails.  Really they're pretty low maintenance dogs.  Any dirt brushes right out once dry, they're fur doesn't really matt if you stay on top of it, and they don't stink too much so they almost never need a bath.   ;D