Author Topic: Great Pyrenesse Info Please  (Read 15555 times)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: Great Pyrenesse Info Please
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 11:01:57 pm »
Hi,
My name is Melissa. Im interested in perhaps adding a Great Pyreneese to my family. I have a few other breeds Im looking into also. But I do have some questions about Great Pyrenees. I was wondering if you Pyr owners could answer for me?
1~How are they with children? I have a 4 year old son. I will never leave them unsupervised,and never let Shane (My son) tease the dog in any way, but I would like a dog that will get along with him and play with him.
2~How are they with other critters?
3~How much exersize a day do they need as adults?
4~What aresome health problems Great Pyreneese can have? How do you prevent them,and/or how they are treated
5~What are some pros and cons?
6~What sort of grooming and how often do they need?

Feel free to add anything else you think I should know that I didnt add. Feel free to brag or vent lol
Thank you :)
~Melissa~

It seems like people have pretty much covered everything but I wanted to put in my two cents.

First of all, Jack is GREAT with kids.  He's so gentle and friendly and every kid he meets immediately hugs and squeezes him and he couldn't care less!  He gets called "a big teddy bear" by every child we encounter and they all want to take him home.  I trust him completely with children.  Our greater swiss mountain dog is also great with kids but she doesn't seem to have that Pyr understanding that they are small and weak and can be knocked down easily, or that they get overwhelmed if she gets in their face.  Jack just seems to know that automatically. 

We have three cats and other than the occasional puppy chase he is great with them.  If we just said "no" in a stern voice when he would start to chase them he stopped right away.  One of our cats and he frequently lay near each other and sleep.

When we pass other dogs/cats in the neighborhood he barely even glances at them, even though often times dogs are charging and barking along all the invisible fence lines in our neighborhood (we aren't allowed to have real fences in our city).  Speaking of fences, while Jack isn't a runner by any means, I do think he would wander off if not heavily supervised while outside, offleash.  We allow him offleash if we are right there with him and are watching him carefully, otherwise he's not outside by himself at all.

As for exercise, we walk our dogs twice a day, for about 30-45 minutes (2-3 miles) each time.  That is sufficient to wear them out so that they are, for the most part, not running around the house continually.  They still have playtime and get the "crazies" now and then but in comparison to other breeds, Pyrs seem WAY more mellow than most, even through the puppy stages.  Everyone is always saying "is he ALWAYS this calm?!?!?"  And luckily, our answer is "Yes!"

As for grooming Jack did "blow coat" in the spring and he was shedding like crazy.  We got the furminator comb (www.furminator .com) and it works WONDERS!  Other than that month or so, we just brush him once a week and he stays very clean and fluffy, with fairly little effort.  Everyone thinks because they're white and have so much hair that they are hard to keep clean, but even when he gets really filthy you just wait and hour and brush him out and miraculously he's white again.  We do give him a bath once a month or so with a whitening shampoo just to get his paws and elbows back to being snow white, but besides that he's pretty easy to groom.  We also trim his double dews every 2 weeks, which he doesn't mind at all, and clean out his ears weekly.  That's about it.  We've never had to trim his nails (or our other dogs) because we walk them so much - another perk of getting plenty of exercise!

Well I think those are the highlights!  As for cons, other than the common large/giant breed health issues and the "coat blowing" I can't really think of any.  Some people say they're stubborn or hard to train but I think you just have to realize that they are bred over centuries to be independent thinkers so sometimes you can see the "why should I" behind their eyes, but if you're consistent and firm they learn quickly and don't give you much trouble.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 11:30:53 pm »
My experience has been.. we have cats and they have gone after them since they were little puppies but we started to train them 'leave it' from the beginning for things they need to leave alone, including the kids cats and kids. We started using a spray bottle of water when we would give the command and now of course they aren't nearly as intersted in the cats. I've posted pics of my female with our kitten in her crate and the most she does if give her a couple sniffs. But my female is a bit more submissive than my male and my male did actually back my cat into a corner and grab her when he was younger, but cats were new to him and he was curious. So, they will sometime start to chase them still and sometimes ignore them, but they listen to leave it really well.
Kids~ they are great with but they are large so they have and will knock them down unintentionall y. My female gets rather agreessive and wants to lick them to death and seems to think they are a puppy once they are on the ground and since they are small kids, they are already on their level so that makes it harder sometimes. Yukon is a MUCH better listener than his sister and won't bother the kids much other than a quick sniff or kiss as he passes them.
Grooming doesn't happen enough at our house since my hubby is a lazy butt and doesn't often help me, since I'm pg it's harder to handle them on my own..they do NOT like their dewclaws touched and will buck and fight and kick and run, you name it so they don't get cut nearly as often as they should. I'm actually considering to just take them in to have someone else cut them... it's THAT hard on these 2. But as far as what everyone said about brushing and stuff I agree.. the brushing will cut down on the odor if done regularly and we bathe them about every 2 months or so..but right now they are very stinky because it's way past bathtime- did I mention mine hate baths too? lol..yeah it's not a fun time. It would literally take 3 people to hold one of my dogs down to be bathed which is why it hasn't happened for awhile.

So, I'd say they are all different..som e more easy going about certain things and some not, different personaliies, different training and exposure etc.. Yiska could care less if I'm calling her for 10 mins outside trying to get to come in, she looks at me like umm...'and why exactly do I want to listen to you?' It's not like she's busy, she just stands there and has her own agenda. Yukon comes when he is called and he's very good with it. The only time he hasn't was when he was sniffing along the perimeter of the fence and it didn't matter how loud I yelled, he acted as though he never heard me. When he was done walking the fence, he happily came in. That is just Pyr behaviour though.

They are extremely laid back like others have already said and sleep more than anything, ..when they do get riled up for some reason it's weird, and I have to remind myself they ARE just puppies..it's easy to forget because they are just not like other breeds.

They are the best dogs ever though if you are prepared to handle the shedding and the barking and the not coming when you call them, don't play fetch kinda dog. Yukon has been going through some orthopedic issues which he's had to have quite a few x-rays for (they don't know what it is yet) and the vet told us that there is a VERY small number of dogs he doesn't have to sedate and Yukon was just fabulous and let them do whatever they wanted to him to get the positions they needed..he told my hubby 'that there is one good dog'. That pretty much sums them up. ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:34:48 pm by mama2many »

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 03:58:09 am »

They are the best dogs ever though if you are prepared to handle the shedding and the barking and the not coming when you call them, don't play fetch kinda dog. Yukon has been going through some orthopedic issues which he's had to have quite a few x-rays for (they don't know what it is yet) and the vet told us that there is a VERY small number of dogs he doesn't have to sedate and Yukon was just fabulous and let them do whatever they wanted to him to get the positions they needed..he told my hubby 'that there is one good dog'. That pretty much sums them up. ;D

I'm hoping that Jack is also "one of those dogs" that doesn't need to be sedated during xrays as he will most likely be getting some tomorrow.  I actually made that comment to my hubby earlier today.  I said I bet Jack will just lay there for whatever positions they need an they won't have to sedate him at all.  Well, we'll see!

As for the different Pyr personalities, I'm sure that's true (of any breed).  With both our puppies when we talked to the breeders on the phone we told them what we wanted in a puppy.  We said we wanted the most mellow (male/female) in the litter.  The most submissive, easy going of the bunch.  That way when we went to meet the litter they only brought out the pups that they thought would best meet our descriptions.  Therefore we weren't making our decision based on emotion - "oh, that one (of 8!) is the cutest" or "oh, this one ran up to me first so it must be the one" (of course, that's probably the most outgoing/strong personality and NOT for us).  Either our system for puppy selection was good, or we just lucked out both times!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 05:17:51 pm »

I'm hoping that Jack is also "one of those dogs" that doesn't need to be sedated during xrays as he will most likely be getting some tomorrow.  I actually made that comment to my hubby earlier today.  I said I bet Jack will just lay there for whatever positions they need an they won't have to sedate him at all.  Well, we'll see!

As for the different Pyr personalities, I'm sure that's true (of any breed).  With both our puppies when we talked to the breeders on the phone we told them what we wanted in a puppy.  We said we wanted the most mellow (male/female) in the litter.  The most submissive, easy going of the bunch.  That way when we went to meet the litter they only brought out the pups that they thought would best meet our descriptions.  Therefore we weren't making our decision based on emotion - "oh, that one (of 8!) is the cutest" or "oh, this one ran up to me first so it must be the one" (of course, that's probably the most outgoing/strong personality and NOT for us).  Either our system for puppy selection was good, or we just lucked out both times!

The way you've described Jack, I can't imagine he wouldn't just lay there but who knows. Yukon thinks any kind of touch at all is heaven. ::) I know how hard he can fight us for things like baths and dewclaws and brushing at times.. so I felt sorry for anyone trying to hold him down but was pleased he did so well.

When we got him, at the time I wanted a white pup..I don't know why I guess I just thought they should be all white. It turns out the white male (there was only one and the others were female) was a very dominant male..she could tell almost immediately. So, after some thinking (and realizing I referred marked ones after all), I said well I'd rather have a less dominant male for sure, I didn't need any *extra* work with a dog ya know and more problems. She had him in mind for me right away and he was the biggest love bug at only days old..would just sit on her lap and get loved whereas the white one would scream to get down and go look for more food lol. But I think we got lucky with the both of ours too, and besides the fact they are an awesome breed..but are exceptionally easy, aside from the things they don't like to do. ;) It's great Jack lets you trim his dewclaws..I have to work up the strength and courage and of course have help when I intend to accomplish that task. Yesterday Yiska was just standing there, getting love from hubby and I touched her dewclaw with one finger mind you and she just high steps away from me. It's amazing. Very possessive they are of those.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:20:49 pm by mama2many »

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 08:33:10 pm »
Thanks guys :)
Ive been busy researching all the diffrent breeds lol.
Its so hard to choose.
Does anyone know of any good websites with Great Pyr info?
~Melissa~

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 09:18:31 pm »
Try here, it's one of the better ones I used when researching breeds.   ;)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm

There's also links to other breeds as well.
Have fun!   ;) ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 06:55:53 pm »
Thanks I'll check it out :)
~Melissa~

marypyrs

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 01:43:14 am »
It's good that you are researching before committing to a specific breed. There are Pros and Cons to all. Differences may be found within a certain breed as well.

I would highly recommend that you search through the breed clubs. They are the ones who know the most because they have dedicated their lives to it.

As for a Great Pyrenees, the club site is http://clubs.akc.org/gpca

You will get a full prospective with no punches pulled. Health issues. Temperment issues. Feeding and training guidlines. Etc.

If you decide to not go with a Breeder and a brand new puppy, there are MANY dogs from Rescues just waiting for their Forever Homes. Wonderful Puppers who, by no fault of their own, have been abandond, or rejected, by their former families. These Groups have done health testings, treatment, and temperment testing. If it is a reputable group, they will have been placed in loving Foster care until the right home comes along.

So - Don't go by the "this and that" that you read on the web. Go directly to the source. You may even find yourself bringing in one of those wonderful mix breeds that my Vet calls the "Rather Dogs" (They would rather be with you, in your life, than anywhere else.)

Jane

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 01:52:55 am »
I agree with Jane. I am a firm believer in rescue. I have brought in both adults and puppy Pyrs. Dakota is a rescue- she was 7 when I got her and I took her on with health problems. She had never had a collar on and she was covered in sarcoptic mange. She has repaid me two fold daily since she came to live with me, and I put her thru some rough days in getting her health back to 100%. Most of the rescue groups though will not adopt a dog with health problem to someone who has never owned a Pyr. But it is something to look into, also you may want to visit with some breeders that are breeding dogs that you are interested in, a good breeder will welcome you into thier home to meet thier dogs.

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 12:11:46 am »
Thanks guys.
I dont think Im going ot go through a breeder. I want to adopt a older puppy or young adult. I dont think I could handle a small pup. Plus everybody wants a small puppy, I would rather take an older one.
Thanks again :)
~Melissa~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 12:32:29 am »
I think that's a great idea!   ;D  I've had 2 pyrs that came to us as pups (Cara was 15 weeks and Halley was 8 weeks) and 2 pyrs that came to us from rehoming or Pyr Rescue.  We have found that there are lots of pros to adopting an older puppy or dog.  You may want to contact your local Pyr (or other breed) Rescue coordinator and talk to them.  If you have time and they are willing, maybe you could plan a visit to meet them and help out a bit with the dogs that they have currently.  This would help them to get to know you now so that when you are ready to adopt it could go through more quickly.  Which breed(s) are you most seriously considering?  I think that your research is great!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 12:33:38 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 02:03:55 am »
I am impressed that you are considering the older dog- there are so many out there that are needing a loving home and they make wonderful companions and usually, the best part of it all, they are house trained by the time you adopt them. Good luck on the continued search.

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 12:20:23 am »
Thanks guys
Lets see,other breeds (Besieds the Great Pyr) im looking into are:
Bullmastiff
Mastiffs
Great Danes
Irish Wolfhounds
Thanks again guys :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 02:32:00 am »
ohh  - I have a great idea,adopt one of each.

Offline melissajean

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 10:19:56 am »
Thats a wonderfull idea. I like it :)
Now to get outta this tiny apartment and into a huge farm house :)
~Melissa~