Author Topic: Rosie is hobbling badly  (Read 13358 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Rosie is hobbling badly
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 05:36:01 am »
We've only given her one dose of Previcox, since she was vomitting her kibble. This happened too on her first dose of Deramaxx. We never really found the root cause of it, whether it was due to the new drugs in her system or due to the steroid shot she was given at the vet's office. The vet told us to stop the Deramaxx for a couple of days until her body settles, and then continue giving it to her. So we took the same action for Previcox. She hasn't been vomitting for a couple days now, so I'll re-start her on Previcox tomorrow.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 04:22:07 pm »
Last weekend's vet visit for Rosie's annual shots and exams also produced a new diagnosis for her limping. I guess the previous examination of her right knee never resulted in anything abnormal, until last weekend. The vet manipulated her knee and was actually able to induce a shearing movement, a sign of a torn ACL. He explained that perhaps it was a developing injury and that it was just recently that she completely tore it. And so now, she'll be on Prevacox until a few days before her TPLO surgery to fix her torn ACL.

In a way, it's comforting to know that her limping isn't due to some really bad dysplasia. I guess TPLO surgery is a pretty common procedure nowadays and it has a very promising rate of recovery. We're still worried for our little girl, but hopefully all will turn out well. We don't have a date for her surgery yet, but it will likely be in the next couple weeks. I'll keep you posted!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 04:33:49 pm »
Poor Rosie  :'(
Good luck with the surgery! Hopefully she can get back to normal quickly  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 04:56:23 pm »
Somehow I missed this thread entirely, sorry to hear all that you and Rosie have been going through. Its nerve racking but all you've got to do is look at how well Fumble has done. He is extremely high energy and damaged both of his ACLs at relatively the same time tearing one completely (the one they repaired already) and partial tearing the other, the reason Kali and Fumble haven't had any play dates since April.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 11:57:01 pm »
Fumble's story has become our hope. Just today, we revisited Stacy's post with pictures of Fumble's leg 8 weeks after surgery. We were teasing Rosie that she'd also have a chicken lollipop as a right leg.  :D
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 02:19:04 pm »
Rosie had TPLO surgery on Monday and stayed at the vet's overnight. So last night was the first time we saw her post-surgery. She looked weary and tired, with her right rear leg completely shaven, bruised, and swollen, and her front paws shaven as well (because of them trying to find her veins).

She was being assisted with a sling and had to stop every now and then to catch her breath/balance. We felt so bad, like we'd done this to her. But we know it's going to be better in the long run. According to the surgeon and the vet, her surgery went well and there's no reason to believe she won't be recovering normally. In the nearterm, we'll be helping her walk with a sling, and trying to keep her in one room to minimize her activity. She looks like she's in so much pain right now, I don't even think she'd willingly get up and walk around the house anyway. So far, we've had to prod her by lifting her up off the floor for bathroom breaks.

I guess to me, it seems like she's in such a sad state. But it's comforting to see her start gaining back her usual personality; last night, she lined up to the gate as if she wanted to go for a walk, and she's started responding to treats.

Please pray for her quick recovery. Updates to come!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:27 pm »
We're praying over here for a quick recovery. And don't feel badly either. You did what was righ tfor her. In no time she will be herself again.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 03:10:04 pm »
We are sending super a speedy recovery vibes your way  :-* :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 11:23:53 am »
For those that have had experience with TPLO surgery before, did you notice any bad swelling in the paw area and just above the paw? Rosie's paw is about twice the size as her other one and there's some severe red and blue swelling markings on her skin. We're concerned it's a bad complication, so we're taking her to the vet today to get that checked out and get her bandage replaced.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 01:30:19 pm »
My 3 year old female Leonberger had TPLO in May of this year. We were told the swelling around the paw could happen, but luckily we did not have this issue. Her recovery period went very well and alot faster then I expected.
Wishing Rosie a speedy recovery!
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 03:55:43 pm »
That really is so comforting to know. We were almost thinking that she was better off the way she was, although we know that's not really the case. Before surgery, she was limping but she didn't seem quite as tortured and in pain as she's in now post-TPLO surgery. It's only been 3 days after surgery, so we know it will get better. It just pains me to know she's suffering like this.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:03:08 pm by CrazyLoveRosie »
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 04:38:17 pm »
Poor Rosie, she certainly doesn't look happy. My Jessie had her surgery performed at a Vet teaching hospital in another province, so she spent 5 days under their care before I picked her up. By the time I got her, she was walking pretty much the same as she was prior to surgery. After a few weeks, she was putting full weight on it and walking normal. We were really worried we would have a hard time keeping her quiet as she is a very active dog, but they obviously sense things aren't right, and she was a model patient for the crucial recovery period.

I'm sure Rosie will start to feel better in a few days and in no time the only thing you'll notice is the shaved leg. It's been 4 months for Jessie and the hair still hasn't caught up to her other side. In a way it's a good thing - less likely to get matted  :)
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 01:42:32 pm »
Rosie looks just like Fumbs did, its sad but funny all the same. Her big old chicken leg out there for all to see what a mean Mommy. The worst should be over now you just have to look forward to your little girl getting back to her old self.
The swelling of her paw area is common post op, our neighbors Boxer had surgury to set a broken Femur and when she got home her foot was gianormis, I couldn't believe it. A few days passed it was back to normal.
I question if she is in pain or just depressed. RThe vet gave her pain meds right? Usually vets want the dog to be comfortable but still have some discomfort to discourage them from becoming to active.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 02:44:14 pm »
Hey its Auntie Stacy. I want to let you know that its totally normal for her to still be in that kind of pain but i promise it will go away with time!! We had kept fumble on our porch and he didnt have any room to really walk except when he went out which was very short. We also tried to take him out together, one holding the leash the other holding the butt up. Eiren was good at doing both at the same time! Fumble still limped on the leg for two or three weeks and then started putting weight on it and trusting it a little better. If you have any questions though dont hesitate to ask! And i read tim's post about the swelling in the ankel that is normal, its just fluid that has dropped. It will go down but you can put warm compresses on it to help it come down.
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 12:08:43 am »
Sasha is sending lots of positive thoughts for Rosie!  She was pretty sore when she first got home too, although she had to spend several days at the hospital first.  But, she started feeling better pretty soon and is all healed now.  Please give miss Rosie a kiss from us!  I just know she'll be feeling better soon! :)