Author Topic: Animal Cruelty a felony  (Read 4026 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Animal Cruelty a felony
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:24:13 pm »
This was sent to me in an e-mail..I haven't looked further into it, but this will be a great thing if it passes.

When this bill is introduced please write to your legislator(s) to ask them to VOTE YES!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Cruelty to Animals May Become Felony in Ohio

State Rep. Courtney Combs is a co-sponsor of House Bill 22 which proposes to make cruelty to animals a class five felony. Currently, this offense is classified as a second degree misdemeanor.

The FBI has released research that indicates that there is a link between violent crime against animals and violent crimes against humans.

The FOX News affiliate in Cleveland caught up with the bill's sponsors, who had this to say:
"The FBI has labeled animal abuse as a predictor of future crimes, including spousal battering, rape and murder," said HB 22 sponsor, Rep. Brian Williams D-41st District.

Co-sponsor Courtney Combs, R-54th District said, "Animal abusers must be treated as what they really are, cold hearted criminals."

The legislation is expected to hit the table this fall.

-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

bigdogs@5501

Re: Animal Cruelty a felony
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:49:04 am »
Texas passed a law that makes animal cruelty a felony as of Sept 1 2007 which was a great thing for a particular Rottie in Houston. The owner was severly mistreating the pup some time after midnite when the police showed up and arrested the guy. Had they been called prior to midnite this jerk would have gotten a slap on the hand and asked not to do that again, now he has a major charge against him and all of the dogs have been removed from the property. Kudos to the Texas law makers on that one and kudos to the officers who arrested the jerk.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:38:54 pm »
I do wonder what the charges are for that police officer in Chandler, Arizona, who last month accidently left his K-9 in his patrol car to die of the heat...
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »
I think it's a great idea and hope FL will adopt the same thing soon too.

I cried when I read about the K9 from Chandler! I'm thinking he could be charged with the death of a police officer as well. I think they've had that happen in NY.

There was no excuse for leaving the dog in the car. Kind of like leaving children in the car. How do you forget them!! Seriously. The Sheriff there is one of my favorites though. He's the guy that makes the prisoners live in tents with pink undies and no tv or amenities. Ahhh, my hero!! LOL  ;D :D
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat