Author Topic: Good toys for aggressive chewer?  (Read 9518 times)

Offline mulesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Good toys for aggressive chewer?
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:46:18 pm »
Hi everybody, I'm new here.  We've got a 1.5 year old chocolate brown Neapolitan Mastiff.  He's very big and very sweet, but a power chewer!  You know those tire toys?  Chewed to bits.  Big hard rubber bone?  Chewed to bits!  We laugh now at any toy that says "virtually indestructible ."  Does anyone have any recommendation s?  Better toys?  Ways to keep him from chewing so aggressively?  I'm about ready to give him the spare tire from my car!! ;D

THanks

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Good toys for aggressive chewer?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:58:58 pm »
if you don't mind the mess, someone on here had a big chewer and they gave them coconuts (whole) and the dog had a BLAST with it!  and it's healthy for them, too.  there was also a brand of dog toys that passed testing by most everyone on here, i can't remember the name but i'll look it up for you!  btw, welcome to bpo!

here's a link to a previous post about toys
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,16254.0.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:05:01 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:11:29 pm »
I have a 15mo Bullmastiff, and yes the Tire was in nickel sized bits all over my floor in about 10 minutes ;D To keep him occupied we use real shank bones, kongs with frozen peanut butter, bullysticks and occasionally he will chew on his Gallileo bone (Nylabone). I've recently come to the conclusion that he prefers the toys that he CAN destroy! The Gallileo bone we've had for months and there is little damage to it but he doesn't chew on it very often. We are on our second tire and it is already missing a fist sized amount of rubber. The kongs are still the puppy ones that he first had as they are only interesting to him when filled, doesn't chew on them after they are empty. Stuffies die a quick death but he is HAPPY. I have had 2 stuffies live a couple months- a pink hippo with a soft rubber exterior and stuffie middle, when the first one died we bought another ;D Real bones can provide days of entertainment as long as they are thick bones. He once had a neck bone(frozen) that he was able to bite in half quickly and swallowed some before I could get it. He threw up a piece of bone the size of a Twoonie---very scary! I have been told to buy go-cart or mini bike tires as they apparently last a long time, but I haven't tried or priced them out. Goodluck and let me know if you find anything.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:12:59 pm »
Ah yes, that was us with the coconuts-$1 gets you a lot of entertainment. It's hard to chew something that is rolling around and you can't bite through!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:15:04 pm »
oh, do be careful, there are toys that are green round things that "freshen breath" and have corrugated cardboard in them!  i think greenies makes them, and also the greenie toys turn into a sticky stuff when they try to digest them.  that came up in a post a while back.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mulesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:18:11 pm »
Mule also gets bored with his Kong after it's empty, although he has chewed through several of those, too.  I guess I'm worried that he'll choke on pieces of rubber.  He does seem to enjoy real bones and rawhides.  Has anyone ever given their dog the really HUGE ones I've seen (in the Smith & Foster catalog - I think they're 2 feet long).  I'm definitely going to try the coconut idea.  Who knew :D  Thanks!

Offline mulesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:51:22 pm »
Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I tried the coconut last night and Mule loved it!  He stalked it and pounced and batted it around just like a kitten.  It was hilarious considering he's 170 pounds of mastiff!  He seems to be going through a chewing phase...he didn't used to be this aggressive a chewer.  I'm concerned because we're getting a rescue puppy tomorrow and I don't want Mule chewing on him :-\

Our local Home Depot is having a sale on railroad ties... ;D

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:13 pm »
I'm a little late on this but wanted to say welcome to the site and congrats on the new rescue pup. 

Shiner is a heavy chewer and will chew on anything.  I give him plastic coke bottles (empty) to chew on and he loves them.  I take them away when he starts ripping off small pieces.  Also the cow hooves are a big hitas are any and all bones.  He's eaten through one tire and a couple of the large jolly balls attached to rope.  But he loves the jolly balls so much that I keep buying them for him. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience