Author Topic: Amish puppies  (Read 14437 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Amish puppies
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 01:44:40 pm »
I bought a min pin puppy from a pet store once.  Mind you I don't like Min Pins and I know better than to get one from a petstore.  But I was looking, feeling sorry for the puppies, and these people came by to look at this dog.  They were going to make him live in their pick up as a Guard dog.  They went back for their check book or something and I couldn't stand to have him go to these people so I went up to the manager and told him that I'd give him an extra $200 if he sold the dog to me.  Of course he did, but then I had this dog I didn't want and didn't know what to do with it.  I ended up giving him to a friend and "Shady Business", Shady for short, is the most neurotic, emotionally deranged psychotic dog EVER!  He has a ton of health problems, his temperament sucks. and I show him to people all the time if they're thinking of looking at a pet store.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 03:27:48 pm »
I can tell you right now, I would hold the puppies under in the bucket of water myself before I would ever sell ANY puppy to be resold.

Never ever ever not under any circumstance whatsoever.

My puppies are MINE until they die, no matter who they live with, and I WILL know where each of them is.

I really hate the people who have no more **can't write this here** than to sell those precious innocent little beings to someone who is going to sell them as a cash crop to anyone with the money.

>:(
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 07:08:24 pm »
Just a heads up guys... when you see an advertisement that you find offensive, I can have them permanently removed by adding them to a blacklist. That won't of course affect the root of the problem, but it will keep them off our website! To have them removed we need their domain name. To get the domain in IE, right click on the ad and select 'copy shortcut'. In Firefox, you can right click and select 'copy link location'. In both instances, paste the information back here or in an email to jabear or I.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 08:17:21 pm »
With pleasure Michael!...TY!...I have heard a heap o' bad stuff about the amish puppies for years...& from very reliable sources!

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 10:21:08 am »
Marit....as a person in rescue, you witness the miller problem first hand.  My bet is that the majority of purebred dogs that come into rescue are bred by miller or BYBs.   

On an individual level, I think we can decide to never shop in a pet store that sells pure bred dogs....I don't even walk in the door. We can tell everyone we know not to shop in these stores.  I take my business to places that work with rescue groups/shelters to find homes for unwanted pets.   

On a bigger level, my aunt, who lives near Lancaster PA...one of the largest puppy mill regions in the US, belongs to a community group whose goal is to bring the puppy mills down thru education.  They often picket outside of stores that sell these pups.  Many people come up to them asking the question 'what is a puppy mill?'.  They are spreading the word.  They also set up booths at local fairs and community days and hand out information about the issue. 

Red....kudos to you....I think most respected breeders feel exactly as you do.  No responsible breeder would EVER sell their dogs through a broker or sell to a pet store. 

Everyone kiss and hug their dogs for me and be so thankful they have a life with you and are not subjected to the hideousness of living in a puppy mill.

Lori

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 07:55:38 pm »
Very strange that the Amish would have any interest in selling puppies for profit.  It doesn't fit the serene photos and quaint lifestyle that are shown.
oh, well.  We do what we can do to make people aware and help as many doggies as we're all able.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 08:18:53 pm »
Lori, yes a lot of pure bred dogs come from either puppy mills or less reputable breeders, BUT sadly enough we also see many many dogs from great breeders, just that the poor doggy ended up in the wrong home, if we can track the breeder, I personally like to contact them and see if they are interested in getting the dog back and caring for it or replace it in a good home. Most breeders you contact are crying and totally heartbroken when they realize what a sad like one or more of their beloved puppies had.

I am still rather new to the whole puppymill situation, since it is not a problem in Sweden where I come from, but I am actually going to do a little "field trip" to different petstores and act "buyer" and see what I can come up with, from where the puppies come from and such. And then act from there.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 08:45:05 pm »
I didn't know that about the Amish . I know that there are a lot of BYB around here , they always have ads in the papers selling 'family raised' litters at exorbitant amounts and people looking for dogs think those amounts are the norm and pay them. The few people I know who bought a 'family raised ' pup didn't go to a shelter because of a variety of reasons . What I heard was :  the pets there have something wrong with them ( physically or mentally ) and so their owners didn't want them anymore, or that buying a puppy the way they did doesn't require a home check. Another one is that they don't want the pup to be spayed or neutered right away. ( litters are so cute ... I know that with cats some people think that it's actually better for the female to have a litter first before spaying ).

I think as long as people are willing to pay huge amounts for a dog , or are willing to buy from a pet store where they are not submitted to a home check ,or simply don't know exactly what these unscrupulous breeding facilities looks like ,  there will always be folks who make their money by recklessly breeding and selling pups.

It seems to me the best way to go about it is educating people. Maybe get some talk shows to cover the problem , maybe have links on sites about pets that show where most of these pups come from and the potential health problems that can occur.

A final note , don't know how much this has to do with puppy mills but I think there is a connection .  Most of the people around my town who have dogs have them in the back yard at all times. The dogs don't get walked, aren't part of the family, they are like part of the image , two car garage, two kids, big screen TV , dog ...you get my drift, right?  So if they feel that way about a dog, then how on earth does one educate these people?   They don't even care about their own dog.
Do you guys think this may be part of the problem? That dogs simply aren't seen as anything more than a fashion statement by most people? 

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 09:43:07 pm »
I think that is one of the reasons Sobe..... I also think that a lot of people just dont care, they dont see dogs or other animals for that matter, as something that you take to the vet if there is anything wrong with it, and definately not spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year to pervent and treat whatever they may have that is bothering them. they are JUST dogs. I think those two groups of people count for a good bit of the people who contribute to the BYB and the puppy mills.

BUT I think the biggest group of people are the ones who just dont know, the ones who if they knew would be chocked and never contribute to this. Almost every day, when I screen adopters and talk to people about rescue issues, I hear "Ohhhhhh I had no idea" people who really do love animals and want them nothing but good, just that they dont know how it is and have a lot to learn about both dog keeping and how nasty and horrible the world is. I sill believe that most people are good, and when they get to know the facts, facts like this, they get as upset and sad and mad as you and me.

Education and Information is the best way to get rid of BYB and puppy mills and retail selling of puppies. At least that is what I very strongly believe.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog