Author Topic: Chloes nasty cough is back again....  (Read 4044 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Chloes nasty cough is back again....
« on: September 10, 2007, 12:12:43 am »
a while ago Chloe got an icky phlegmmy chough and we had the vet look at her. he got he to cough and looked at her throat, he said he thought it was bronchitis. ok fine, we got some antibiotics and away we went. well those didnt work, so the other vet at the clinic that looks at her gave me a different antibiotic and some cough suppressants. after that her cough went away. a little while ago i noticed a cough here and there, but i didnt think much of it because it was just one or two. i thought maybe she had a piece of food stuck or something. well now for the past few days its back again. its so nasty sounding, like a person when theyre really congested in the chest and they cough and cough and youre thinking "oh gosh just give it a good one and cough that crud up already!". thats what shes got. so she had an appt for the 12th (her 6month b-day) to get her heartworm testing, and i called and told them to change it to see the vet to have this looked at again. i just want to know what the heck it is!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chloes nasty cough is back again....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:47:49 am »
Kennel cough? Usually goes away in about 7 days, if not they recommend you see the vet. Is she vaccinated against Bordatella?

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 05:12:23 am »
naw its not kennel cough, its been too long for that. i made sure i could rule that one out. and yes, she has been vaccinated for it. i think it might just be allergies. shes got that funny rash on her belly, and a cough, and her eyes get eye boogers a lot. i think she might have allergies, i hope she does atleast! we will find out on wednesday for sure (hopefully for sure!) poor pup, she just cant seem to catch a break lol

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:19:45 am »
I second what DaneInsane said.  I too would much rather be safe then sorry, and if a cough lasts for more then a few days is could indicate something bad, but again it could be nothing as well.  When we got Moo, he had a nasty cough and we thought we were going to loose him, I forget what he had, but I'll find out by tomorrow for you.  Good luck at the vet.  Healthy vibes coming your way from Naja, Moo, and myself.  Hope it's nothing serious.   :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:32:57 am »
Well probably not then with all those other symptoms :-[ Phelan was vaccinated and has gotten it twice...like having the flu for dogs but you've ruled it out so 1 down. I would actually hope it isn't allergies, then you'll be doing the food battle to find out which ones work and that could get expensive. Poor Chloe, hopefully it all sorts itself out soon so she can enjoy the fall and bounce through the leaves :-*

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 06:40:43 am »
What Vacs has Chloe had? And how close were they together? There is a very interesting discussion going on in another group about such things right now. Posts are coming in right and left so I have to sort this all out.

SC Trojans. Are you out there?

Hugs to your Chloe girl. She sure as heck doesn't need this. Nor do you.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »
ugh i know, she just cant seem to avoid anything.lol. no i say i hope its an allery because it doesnt seem to be a food allergy. no vomit or booty blasters. i think what it is is airborne allergens. pollen and stuff. she tends to get the rash after being outside in the grass for a while, and the cough seems to come about when the seasons start changing. she had it before when it was starting to get summerish out, and now we are chaning to fall and shes getting it again. it cant be bronchitis, we already tried that one... i really dont think its kennel cough, its not the same sounding cough, she was vaccintated but that was months ago, and she has no other symptoms, just a cough. really, let me explain this cough better. when she does it, people think shes doing a "quiet bark" you know, like when a dog starts to get excited and does the little "wwwrrrooof" and his lips puff out, but he doesnt open his mouth. well thats what they think it is. but i know this isnt true, because well... A she doesnt do that, and B its to phlegmmy sounding and C she does it without being excited and well h*ll, i just KNOW its a cough lol. shes going to the vet tomorrow so hopefully we can get this all figured out. i havent heard her cough yet today, so hopefully the little stinker doesnt do what she did before... she stopped coughing the day before and when the vet tried to induce a cough she would lol. and he kind of looked at me like i was nuts lol. thanks a lot Chloe...thanks a lot...

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:48:00 pm »
he had to. when he listened to her chest he said she sounded clear. and i told him "i swear it sound phlegmmy!" so he induced it and said "oh ok it is, hmm, didnt hear any of that in her chest." then he looked in her throat, and blah blah you know the rest