Author Topic: Week one with Tonka  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Week one with Tonka
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:02:25 pm »
So I thought I would pop in and let everyone know how things are going for Mr. Tonka as today marks his first week in his new home.  :o It went by so fast for us.  We are all doing extremely well and have only had one minor incident which needed some extreme correcting but Tonka managed to recover and correct his actions very nicely.   

So we are now as a family (me, BF, Gracie, Roscoe and Tonka) taking a brisk hour walk every morning around 5:30.  It's not unusual for us to walk all together but we usually do the walks in the evenings and it's usually a more simple stroll.  This little change has made a world of difference in all the dogs manners inside and outside of the house.  They really are much more calm and relaxed when we get home from work now.  At that point we all go out for the afternoon potty break and then back in to hydrate for our evening walk.  They truly do respond well to structure and routine as they seem to know that it's time to drink some water and relax for a bit longer (we do that because we live in the city and the concrete is just too hot for their pads late afternoon and into the early evening) and we wait for the sun to go down a bit.   Then we'll all go out for a good walk and practice basic manners on a leash and get some additional exercise.  I can actually walk all three of them at my left side with maybe a minor tug (Rosco tries to eat the dead whatever it is on the ground) here and there but all considering, that's not too bad.  With a quick correction and he's back with us all.  Sometimes I manage to forget he's only 7 months old and still a baby.  So with that I personally think he's doing wonderful.  Tonka has totally set the bar for the walks.  He's AMAZING on the leash.  He stays at my side and never walks in front of me.  He actually responds the best to corrections.  Tonka really isn't crazy about excited dogs.  So if another dog passes that is pulling their lead or barking it makes Tonka uncomfortable and he'll whine or bark if I don't catch it in time.  My focus is to keep him focused on me and our task.  He really is awesome at that and if I'm on top of it so is he. 

I couldn't be happier with how things are turning out and he seems to be adjusting really well.  He's learned to wait patiently for breakfast and dinner (though the bubbles he makes are sort of gross as he's waiting) and he will even relax now when everyone else is relaxed and watching tv or reading or something.  Rosco and Gracie love him and he's finally starting to participate in the play time Rosco and Gracie have.  Linus the cat doesn't really pay attention to him and it's almost as if Linus doesn't know that Tonka exists.  Tonka is going to be neutered very soon (I've got my fingers crossed for this week) so we are curious as to how that may change his personality or behavior if at all. 

The BF is taking a photography course and I've been begging him to get pictures of all the four leggers so I could post them for you all and for Stacey and her kids so he's promised me he will be doing that very soon. 

I'm not sure if any of you remember that Aeryk and I decided to keep a running tally of "horse comments" so I'd like to share with you all that the total is 12 up to right now.  Though  as annoying as that may be I think the staring is probably more annoying.  Not from people walking but drivers.  It's sort of worse than watching a person in heavy traffic typing a text message on their phone.  I just want to carry a sign with me that say's "Keep your eye's on the road, and no he doesn't have a saddle!".....  Passive aggressive?  Maybe.  But staring is pretty rude too.  ;)

Again, I'll post some pictures when I get them. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Week one with Tonka
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:28:47 pm »
I'm so glad things are going so well!!!  I second the sign idea, that would be awesome!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:55:52 pm »
That is fantastic news about Tonka. Can't wait to see those pictures. Only 12 ;)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Week 3 with Tonka
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:59:17 pm »
Hello BPO.   :D  I hope everyone and of course big paws alike are well and happy.  So here is an update on the fur kids and all our lives with Tonka.  First this must be prefaced with a "He is sooooooooooooo o stinkin SWEET!!!!!"  We are so in love with him and are finally able to really get to see his personality come through.  Now that he's got his rules and understands his place in our home we are finally able to start showering him with affection.  As I'm sure a lot of you with multiple dogs know the introduction/adjustment phase can be trying for the new and existing pets and this was no exception.  As much of a gentleman Tonka is he did need an occasional correction, as did my Gracie and Rosco.  But he has surprised us pleasantly with his acceptance to all of the rules.  He's an extremely fast learner and it doesn't take much for anything to stick where training is concerned.  He really is such a gentleman. 

He was neutered this past Thursday and is healing very nicely.  I was a wreck the entire day waiting to hear from the clinic that he was through with the surgery and ready to come home.  They finally called me around 3pm (I dropped him off at 7am) to say he was up and walking around and ready to go home so off I went to pick up the beast...  The poor guy was so out of it from the meds that he didn't even really notice I was there to pick him up.  Then when I tried to talk to him he was more enthralled with the orderly who had been feeding him cheesy Pringles (WTH?!?!?) so I guess I can't be too hurt by that.  Truth is I never feed him anything other than his dog food and dog cookies.  So I really can't blame him for that.

Since the surgery his walks have tapered back up and he's excited about that.  He's even become a creature of habit and his internal clock lets him know when it's time for our adventure out of the house.  Its funny because even when we let the time get away from us Tonka will remind us that it's time for the evening walk.  He's so cute.  Gracie never did that and Rosco is still only 7 months old so he doesn't quite have the memory skills yet I guess.  Gracie doesn't really care to exert any energy at all for that matter.  We are convinced that if she thought she could get away with wearing a diaper over having to actually get up to walk and relive herself then she would.  Oh my pretty princess does not like to walk.  It's just way too exhausting for her.   I guess that's a mastiff trait because I've never seen another dog so uninterested in going outside.  She really does make me laugh.. 

So everyone is happy and good and I'm EXTREMELY sorry to say that we can't seem to get Mr. T to sit still long enough for any pictures.  He's still a bit timid and every time we see a good pose or opportunity he takes notice and walks into us therefore, yet again, missing another opportunity to post a cute pic of the dude.  It's funny because he took such wonderful pictures for Stacey but for us he can't sit still long enough.  Boooo..  We're patient though and will get one or several hundreds soon enough.  We're going on plenty of photo safari's this week and weekend so fingers and paws crossed that Tonka will finally allow us to get a nice shot of that handsome mug of his.

Sorry for being so MIA and I can't wait to read everyone’s posts the past couple of weeks to catch up.  Take care everyone.

Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:22 pm »
It sounds like Tonka is doing great and you are taking such a wonderful care of him...and everyone else of course! I am so glad that it all worked out  ;D 
Stay in touch  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 02:17:23 pm »
I'm sooo glad to hear that things are working out well with Tonka!!  Warms my heart.  Now tell that big guy to sit still already!  We want pics!!   :)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:40:53 pm »
awwwww... I am so glad everything is working out for y'all and Tonka! cnt wait for the big guy to sit long enough for some pics!