Author Topic: Our dog won't eat 24 hours after spaying! Any advice?  (Read 5928 times)

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
Our dog won't eat 24 hours after spaying! Any advice?
« on: September 11, 2007, 01:12:51 pm »
I introduced our rescue dog Ella last week.
We just got her yesterday from the vet post-op.
Naturally she was very confused but has behaved like a dream and is even house trained - we have no history of her whatsoever.

She only drank some water when she got home, then got sick, which is natural after the op I guess.

She was a very happy dog this morning. I took her for ten min walk this morning for fresh air, she had some water.

But she has not yet eaten anything. I thought she would be hungry by now. The vet said if she has not eaten by tonight to bring her in tomorrow morning.

She is snoring right now, so at least she is resting and comfy.

bigdogs@5501

Re: Our dog won't eat 24 hours after spaying! Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:44 pm »
Our rescued Dane didnt really eat for almost 4 days, she would drink water, but wouldnt eat. She wouldnt get up and move about though either. I finally got her to eat a couple of vienna sausages and that kinda kick started the want for food.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:30:29 pm »
They tend to have sore insides right after surgery.  Imani had a hard time after her spay, and really scared me because not only was she not eating, she wasn't drinking, wasn't moving at all, and wasn't sleeping at all either.  I finally started giving her syringes full of pedialyte and putting some peanut butter on my finger and sticking it in her mouth after the first 36 hours or so, and by the next day, she was noticeably better.  Ice cubes can be a big help in getting fluids into them, if they will take those but still won't get up to get drinks.

Weedsport, NY

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:31:38 pm »
thanks for the advice folks.

not long after I posted the question I threw out the small amount dried mixture I had soaked for her, went into the kitchen and opened a tin of food. she was suddenly beside me. she ate 3/4, then drank.

happy days. she ate another 3/4 of a tin later in the evening.

she went to the toilet for the first time today too thankfully. We didn't think it could go on much longer.

I guess it all makes sense as her body and digestive system are only STARTING to come back to normal after general anaesthetic and surgery.

Who could blame the poor things. I know us humans are miserable for ages afer surgery and let everyone know about it.