Author Topic: Demodectic mange?  (Read 9458 times)

Offline Princ3ss

• Gnawer
  • CHEESE!!
    • View Profile
Demodectic mange?
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:37:53 pm »
My 4 month old German Rot/German sheperd has started to lose hair around his eye. I think it might be demodectic mange, but he is always scratching and biting. Does he maybe have another type of mange? Here is some pics of his eyes.

BAKER-German Rot/German Sheperd Mix- 4 months

angelsmama

Re: Demodectic mange?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:56:24 pm »
My Rott/Hound mix sometimes has her Demodex mange show up, and that is what hers was looking like when she had her first case a puppy. You need to get him to the vet for a skin scrape and treatment before it gets out of control. Pretty baby by the way :) Here's my girl, haha ignore the eating pic , usually only time I can take pics without her jumping all over me  ;) In 2nd pic, had to show that one to point out her goofy oversized ears  :D

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:23:18 am »

Yep....looks like demodectic, but given how badly it can rage out of control, you need to get him in and determine asap.  Demodectic by the way is a sign of serious immune suppresion - since we all live with demodecic mites on us every day - humans and dogs - when they get out of control, it is an auto-immune condition and so the immune system should be a focus if your receive a positive diagnosis.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:57:25 am »
Your pup is a cutie.  I have a soft spot for rotties but also rottie/shepherds. 

Shiner had demodetic mange when he was a puppy.  He had a bout of it right after he had a respiratory infection and then he had a relapse after coming to live with me.  His was on his legs and rear end.  Definitely a skin scraping would be good to confirm mange and get him treatment.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:12:24 am »
Yeah, my irish setter had that when he was young and very sick with some weird, mystery, probably auto-immune type thing.  I was told at the time that this type of mange is what foxes get.  Anyway, there are a couple of different types so it needs to be scraped and looked at under a microscope.  The stuff I had to wash him with was dreadfully smelly and toxic ... I wore long jeans, long shirt, rubber gloves, thick socks & waterproof shoes, safety glasses and a mask!  It was that bad!