Author Topic: Bad news - Jack needs surgery  (Read 10802 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Bad news - Jack needs surgery
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 04:46:37 pm »
How is Jack doing??? I hope all is well. I've been thinking about him! Give him tons of hugs and kisses from us!:-*
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 12:06:11 am »
Jack's been on my mind a lot today, too.  I hope that he is recovering well.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 04:45:48 am »

Well Jack is home and is doing really well.  He seems to want to walk around so we're mostly just trying to keep him in his "area" and laying down as much as possible.  Tonight we will close him in the laundry room with lots of soft bedding and the area rug we added to prevent any slipping.  He was very excited to eat his dinner and is taking his pain pills and anti-inflammatories like a good boy.  The only tricky part is helping him outside to go potty because he has to go down two steps.  So we're using a towel under his mid section as a makeshift sling to help take some weight off his legs.  As you can see in the attached pic - he's quite a site!  He looks like a deranged poodle crossed with a dalamation!  Who knew he had all those spots under that glorious coat!  Thanks to everyone who kept is in their thougts and sent encouraging posts.  I'll be sure to keep updating everyone on his progress.  We call the rehab place on Monday to schedule some rehab sessions - hopefully they'll recommend hydrotherapy, I've read good things about the benefits for this type of recovery.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 04:51:02 am »
OOOh, Dalmatian Jack looks so cute! I am glad to hear that he is doing good after his surgery. Hopefully, he can go for walks soon enough...Sendi ng him comforting vibes  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 04:56:43 am »
OOOh, Dalmatian Jack looks so cute! I am glad to hear that he is doing good after his surgery. Hopefully, he can go for walks soon enough...Sendi ng him comforting vibes  :-* :-* :-*

Uggh... that's the worst part.  No walks or exercise for 4 weeks!  That's why I want to do the therapy - so he can get some controlled exercise while he's recuperating.  I hope he doesn't forget all his training in the next 4 weeks.  It took a lot of time (and money) to get that heel and auto sit down pat!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 04:58:56 am »
Do you do a competitive obedience with him?
Mary W. Crane

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 05:22:50 am »

No we took him to a puppy kindergarten class at Petsmart to socialize and learn the basics from 2-4 months old then we did individual sessions with the trainer we used for Greta to reinforce commands and work on commands without treats.  We had contemplated having him get his CGC but that was before the surgery.  We'll see if we want to brush up and do that after he's all better.  We just like our dogs to have good manners and to listen when it counts - thus are focus on obedience.  When we decided to get dogs we agreed that we would put whatever training was necessary into them so that they could really be part of our lives and could always be around company, other dogs and cats, any kids we may have someday, and so they could do vacations with us and go to as many public places with us as possible.  The basic obedience stuff is just to keep us focused on their training and to give them lots of practice!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 05:29:27 am »

No we took him to a puppy kindergarten class at Petsmart to socialize and learn the basics from 2-4 months old then we did individual sessions with the trainer we used for Greta to reinforce commands and work on commands without treats.  We had contemplated having him get his CGC but that was before the surgery.  We'll see if we want to brush up and do that after he's all better.  We just like our dogs to have good manners and to listen when it counts - thus are focus on obedience.  When we decided to get dogs we agreed that we would put whatever training was necessary into them so that they could really be part of our lives and could always be around company, other dogs and cats, any kids we may have someday, and so they could do vacations with us and go to as many public places with us as possible.  The basic obedience stuff is just to keep us focused on their training and to give them lots of practice!
In that case you don't have to worry about him loosing "heeling" and "auto muscle memory" in 4 weeks. He will be just as good of a boy if not better  ;D Lily passed CGC at 8 months and TDI at 12 and I am still wondering how in the world she tricks me...She behaves so well at the test locations but then turns into an uncontrolled giant puppy when it is just two of us, LOL
I am sure Jack will appreciate some time without any pressure of training  ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 05:41:14 am »
Well if nothing else, at least his "down-stay" will be perfected after 4 weeks of laying around!   ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 05:42:43 am »
Well if nothing else, at least his "down-stay" will be perfected after 4 weeks of laying around!   ;)
You got that right  ;D
Mary W. Crane

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 07:51:04 am »
I'm so glad to hear Jack is doing well. I have also heard very good things about hydrotherapy. I would definitely bring it to their attention if they don't mention it right away.

He looks SOOO cute in that pic! That's so funny..all his little spots. What a cute boy he is!

I hope he has a quick and easy recovery!

He'll be up and ready for walks/runs/etc before you know it. ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:59 am »
I'm glad that Jack is home and doing so well.  He really is lucky to have people that are so dedicated to him.  I love his spots!  What a cutie and he has great pigment, that's for sure!  I love to see all of the spots under my pyrs coats that only show when they're wet. 

We also have a couple of steps that lead into our home and my husband built a little ramp to help Halley when she was having trouble climbing steps.  If you decide to do this too, just be sure to make it a slow, gradual incline and you may want to install traction strips.  The dogs use our ramp all the time with no problem, but I slipped on it once and landed flat on my back.  Yeah, graceful...I know.   :-[   ::)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 07:57:51 pm »
Aww, he looks so pittiful with his little bare spotted leg lol. I think Yukon has spots maybe like that, I've seen one of them with those when they are wet.

Well I'm glad to hear he's doing well so far. I'm sure he'll be a spoiled boy the next 4 wks and love every minute of it. ;D