Author Topic: irritated skin / dander??  (Read 4166 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
irritated skin / dander??
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:49:06 am »
ok, so i posted about questions with allergies, etc.  axle got a bath and ironically (or not so) they stopped almost completely but are starting to kick back up.  i just have a runny nose now, but it's getting worst again, after not even a week. 

on another more important note, axle is still being bothered by his skin, and it's starting to bother him more and more and more. can his scratching make his dander worst, too?  also, benedryl isn't working so well, we're going to get him a shot to try to make him stop scratching but would like to try some alternative things (diet change, supplement uppage, etc) to try to get this under control first since that would be a better long run decision than just a shot.  anywho, any ideas on the dander, and also i was considering an e-collar (or no chew thing i saw earlier on here) to get him to stop chewing while we're getting it under control so any input on that would be good, too.  he's plucked himself pretty bald, and has made one spot on his side a little bloody.  this isn't new for axle, he's quite sensitive to things unfortunately  :-\
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:50:40 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: irritated skin / dander??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:44:40 am »
It seems to be that time of year,Falkor is having a lot of the same problems.and Even got several hot spots.

I went out and got some Magic Coat medicated shampoo,as well as some sulfadene (for the hot spots)

The hot spots I did shave down before useing the sulfadene,

Now they are all cleared up and.Lucky for us the Benedryl seems to be working now that he is getting the correct dosage.
He gets his three times a day.

Good luck
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:26 am »
Hi, I have a 10 year old irish setter that is troubled by seasonal allergies; he also reacts badly if he ever gets fleas on him.  One thing that really works well is to give your dog a daily dose of coconut oil: I use about a tablespoon.  When Brannigan is really bad and I'm freaking out that he'll need prednisolone and even antibiotics, I give him this amount about four times a day until it improves, which it always has.  Coconut oil is superior to other oils because it works on the immune system - it's good for people, too!  Hope this helps. :)

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:15:33 am »
'Tis the season of the itch I suppose. Bear was gnawing and itching like crazy too...we got some bright pink pills -- cortisone and antihistamine combo that seems to have cleared it but caused another problem all together -- Bear is drinking excessive amounts and has peed on clothes on our floor twice this week  >:(-- she hasn't had a accident in the house for over a year

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:07:08 pm »
Fumble is the king of allergies!  We've changed his food so many times to find a good type.  Even the one we're on right now that is almost 99% natural completely organic, it's still up in the air if it works.  Right now is big on seasonal allergies though.  They can have allergies to everythign from rugs, grass..... Maybe try putting some flax seed or wheat germ into the food.  I put both of those, plus salmon oil (omega 3 oils are GREAT! for skin).

Good luck!  Benadryl didn't work for fumble when he was a puppy, but suprisingly i tried it this summer again andi t worked!  thank heavens!  Just make sure that if you see any circle dry spots get them checked out... stop a hot spot before it starTS!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:32:44 pm »
thanks everybody!  it's relieving to know i'm not the only one with a semi bald dog walking around!

benedryl usually works for us, it's very frustrating that it isn't this time around!  maybe b/c we had to use it so much this summer b/c of his break outs.  axle also started peeing upstairs.  he's VERY good at telling you when he just HAS to go and it's extremely unusual for him to go.  he only does that when his allergies flare up pretty bad.  i'm going to try the coconut oil for our first strategy.  where can i get it?  in the vitamin section with the fish oil?  we tried salmon oil this past summer but it didn't work either  :-\

how do i tell if it's a hot spot or if he's just plucked it completely raw?  is there even a difference?  he has that ONE spot on his side, right past his rib cage that he has plucked near bloody.  it looks awful though it's gotten better since we turned the air down further.  now we're freezing and he's feeling a little better.

i'd rather try natural remedies before medicine, too.  axle shows his butt when they want to take blood.  shots, they do on the floor, drawing blood?  they INSIST on putting him on the table.  before he even gets touched by them he's screaming. 

axle is the king of flea and pine allergies.  when he gets them he's horrible!  he will shake the floors, rattle the dishes, etc scratching!  we don't have any pine trees right here (and i think they already bloomed for the year, haven't they) though i did see ONE flea on peanut.  i got it, gave him his flea stuff, and we gave axle his bath and he didn't have a single flea on him, so i'm not sure if we missed it or if it's just a new allergy.

tricia, axle gets his 3 times a day, also.  i may go and get some medicated shampoo (or maybe oatmeal) and use that on him next time.  we usually use baby shampoo on him, because it's easy on his skin and he smells good for longer, not to mention he reacts to some shampoos, too.

modified to put we decided not to shave axle b/c his side is tender and he's grouchy about it right now.  i don't know if it's his old age, allergies or what (probably a mixture of the two) but holly cow he needs to take a chill pill!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:34:27 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 02:14:20 am »
tricia, axle gets his 3 times a day, also.  i may go and get some medicated shampoo (or maybe oatmeal) and use that on him next time.  we usually use baby shampoo on him, because it's easy on his skin and he smells good for longer, not to mention he reacts to some shampoos, too.

Well the shampoo I got is called,Magic Coat HypoAllergenic and it really seems to have made a big difference.Als o the hot spots Falkor had (past tense) I did just shave a small areas and put sulfodene on them.It did stop him from chewing,cause it tastes real bad to them.and they are all cleared up.
I even found in my stuff a spray top so that I didn't have to put it on with cotton.and it works great.

Good luck,Oh by the way they also have and oatmeal forumla in their shampoo .

Tricia and the fur kids